<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Richard Hutton..?

March 16 2017 at 9:35 AM
Steve C  (Login stevecowton)
Assistant Moderator

Richard to be new President.
I know he played for us for a few years but has he done anything else for the club since he retired...?
He seems like quite a strange - and potentially divisive - choice to me -but i'm more than happy to be persuaded if he's done more things than i realise!

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
YorkTyke
(Login YorkTyke)

Richard Hutton..?

March 16 2017, 10:26 AM 

I don't think he has had any connection with the club since he retired and I don't think he even lives in Yorkshire. Smacks of our chairman using the accountants old boys network.

Idle Man
(Login Idle_man)

Re: Richard Hutton..?

March 16 2017, 10:53 AM 

I think that's a shame. Players have been able to relate to and in different ways respect the last few presidents. How often has Hutton watched them in the last 5-10 years, even when they have been playing in the south? I can't think of a more detached candidate, never mind that he has been the most reluctant of all to bury the 70s-80s hatchets. It seems to me a case of last man standing from the sixties. Time to move on in my view.

However, I gather that the club's communication - on its way - says he lives in Wetherby. Really? Second home?

This message has been edited by Idle_man on Mar 16, 2017 10:56 AM

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

March 16 2017, 11:07 AM 

A poor choice for me, can not think of a more "detached" ex-player. Surely there are several better candidates around. I assume a vote will be conducted on whether to accept.

I would be surprised if the nomination is accepted.

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

March 16 2017, 12:33 PM 

It seems a poor choice to me, though he might turn out excellent; you never know. Better than Donald Trump, I suppose, though I suspect he may not have been available. Perhaps others, whom we might have chosen, may have declined the honour. It's not a role that would suit everyone.

JollyD
(Login JollyD)

Richard Hutton

March 16 2017, 12:41 PM 

Rather a slap in the face for Bryan Stott and Geoff Cope, among others. Both have continued to show dedication to the club right to the present day.

(Login matthefish2002)

March 16 2017, 12:42 PM 

I am too young to remember the 1960's team but have read a bit about the fall outs in the 70's and 1980's.
I hope Richard Hutton being president is accepted, not for any particular liking for him but its just not worth fighting those old battles anymore.

Idle Man
(Login Idle_man)

March 16 2017, 1:19 PM 

Agree, the old battles should be buried. However,if he is elected, it is RH who needs to do the accepting. He will have to be capable of shaking hands with, and chatting to, anyone, and that includes the obvious GB. The latter showed himself capable of following these principles during his presidency. Now it's Hutton's turn. We'll see.

Steve C
(Login stevecowton)
Assistant Moderator

Indeed

March 16 2017, 1:24 PM 

I wonder if Hutton and Boycott speak to each other......?
Apart from his surname, i cant see any reason why he is being suggested.

Bear
(Login Bear4)

March 16 2017, 2:19 PM 

I was recently standing in line behind Richard Hutton in Wetherby Post Office. Whether he has a second home in the area I couldn't say.

Handy for cosy, late-night chats with GB, who lives in Boston Spa a couple of miles up the road! Perhaps another local, Mr Moxon, could mediate.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

March 16 2017, 2:23 PM 

From todays "Press".

http://www.yorkpress.co.uk/sport/cricket/yorkshire/15160272.Hutton_lined_up_to_be_new_Yorkshire_president/?ref=mac

An EGM to approve or not will be held at 9am on Friday April 7th. That is a certain way of ensuring no one attends. Why not 10 or 10.30, immediately before the match starts!! How long does it take for one motion and one vote to be passed?

Steve C
(Login stevecowton)
Assistant Moderator

March 16 2017, 2:24 PM 

Can i suggest Arnie Sidebottom as future President..?
Or Richard Stemp..?

sid
(Login sid-don)
Assistant Moderator

March 16 2017, 3:24 PM 

I intend to vote 'no'.

Can anyone present a reason why he deserves this honour based on what he's done for the club in the last 40 years? If his surname wasn't Hutton there's no way he'd be in the running.

An alternative, in recognition of his part in the greatest last wicket match winning stand for the county I nominate Mark Johnson. Coping marvellously with the pressure of a must win B&H zonal game in front of one man and a dog at Derby he added 100+ for the 10th wicket with Bairstow sr. From memory I think Mark made 2*. David would be the nominee but with his awful loss, the occasion can be remembered and celebrated by the elevation of Mark.

Ian Swallow as a back up?

This message has been edited by sid-don on Mar 16, 2017 8:47 PM

(Login dpressed)

March 16 2017, 3:58 PM 

There are times when I think that Yorkshire are just trying to wind up members. Hutton Jnr will just antagonise half of the membership. Geoff Cope (who I sadly forgot) is the obvious candidate as he's an ex- player and an an ex-coach who is well regarded by the majority of the membership.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

March 16 2017, 5:04 PM 

I'm afraid I am in the camp of those against this nomination. Firstly he has offered little to the county to my knowledge since he retired as a player. Second I think there are several better alternatives with Geoff Cope an outstanding candidate. Third he committed heresy when he allowed his son to play for Middlesex

(Login Danum)

March 16 2017, 5:24 PM 

It's a terribly uninspired choice for all the reasons already mentioned. I will be there at 9am on the 7th and will vote against.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

March 16 2017, 5:28 PM 

Can we nominate Geoff Copes guide dog instead? It's attended more matches in the last 20 years I suspect and knows it's way around the ground better then anyone.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

March 16 2017, 5:30 PM 

I would also vote against it, but doubtful I will be here at 9am on the 7th, unless I set off at about 7am from York. A stupid time to have the meeting. No doubt done to make sure not enough members are there to vote against it.

WS55
(Login WibseySimon55)

March 16 2017, 6:23 PM 

Even though I shall be returning from Germany on 6th and have to get up at 5 in the morning to get to Leeds by 9 am I shall do my d--dest to be there to vote against.

I remember him looking down his nose at me when I asked for his autograph as a small boy at Bradford Park Avenue. "Toffee-nosed g-t" I thought at the time. No reason to have changed opinion in the meantime, I shall relish the chance to vote in revenge.

Geoff Cope may have been asked and turned it down, but he would certainly have been a better choice.

Leg Glance
(Login legglance)

March 16 2017, 7:44 PM 

"An alternative, n recognition of his part in the greatest last wicket match winning stand for the county I nominate Mark Johnson. Coping marvellously with the pressure of a must win B&H zonal game in front of one man and a dog at Derby he added 100+ for the 10th wicket with Bairstow sr. From memory I think Colin made 2*. David would be the nominee but with his awful loss, the occasion can be remembered and celebrated by the elevation of Colin."

There was also my wife, myself and our two week old daughter at that game.

Colin Tunnicliffe's name was on the MOTM cheque but was crossed out and replaced with Bluey's.

It was also the afternoon that play was halted for a ruling from Lord's when Chris Old was given out but pointed out that it was a no ball due to there not being enough fielders in the circle.Umpire Dickie was in a right state but justice was eventually done and Chilly 'reinstated'.

As for Hutton, no thanks, not at all suitable and, from reading much of the above, confirms my suspicions that he is not respected enough, due entirely to his own actions, to head up YCCC.

< Previous Page 1 2 3 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk