YorkTyke  (Login YorkTyke)

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

Re: England Player Availability Early Season

March 16 2017, 11:15 AM 

Why "rest" JB. It is almost two months since Jonny played in any serious form of cricket(22/1), so why does he need further rest? It must be tiring carrying drinks. Rashid also misses the first game.

Looks like Lyth, Lees, Leaning, Hanscomb, Ballance, Bresnan, Hodd, Rafiq, Patterson, Brooks & Siddy. A very long tail!!

Plunkett for Rafig or Patto would strengthen the batting and fielding, but the NLOP club members will never allow it!!

This message has been edited by StuartRA on Mar 16, 2017 11:28 AM

(Login ExiledinNotts)

March 16 2017, 12:46 PM 

I can kind of understand Joe needing a break/rest but don't understand why Johnny does. Why is Rash unavailable ?

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

March 16 2017, 12:50 PM 

Plunkett for Rafiq is fine. Lyth is as good an offspinner as Rafiq.

NLOP.

(Login ExiledinNotts)

March 16 2017, 12:52 PM 

What's the acronym NLOP mean please ?

(Login matthefish2002)

March 16 2017, 1:10 PM 

NLOP - Never Leave Out Patto

Which I am a member of. Does the unglamorous work for the other bowlers.

Not unexpected Root and Bairstow not available. Frustrating but it is what it is. Just enjoy the rare glimpses you get to see them play for the White Rose.

(Login ExiledinNotts)

March 16 2017, 1:15 PM 

Thanks Matt

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

March 16 2017, 1:19 PM 

Agree re Root not being available, fully expected that, but Jonny has not played for nearly 2 months. How much rest does he want? 3 months it seems!! 22/1 was his last ODI for England apart from a warm-up match in the Windies, and it will be the end of April before he plays again.

As an aside, I am not a member of the NLOP club, or any other NLO club. NO-ONE should be immune from being left out. All players lose form at some point and should never be in a position of being un-droppable.

This message has been edited by StuartRA on Mar 16, 2017 1:23 PM

(Login Pyrahtechnics)

March 16 2017, 1:46 PM 

Strange to rest Bairstow for two CC games when he made his intention to play IPL Cricket. Even more so when Rashid has played more cricket than Bairstow and is missing just one County Championship match.

Idle Man
(Login Idle_man)

March 16 2017, 1:57 PM 

The argument at the end of last season was that Jonny was being rested because of the cricket to come, not the amount that had passed. I suppose they'd probably say the same again. The truth is county cricket doesn't matter a jot to these people. I suspect they think Jonny as an England player would have benefited more from developing his slogging skills in the IPL than he would playing four day matches.

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

March 16 2017, 2:00 PM 

I can only assume Bairstow's schedule is in line with the other centrally contracted players. As Moxon says, he's not really our player any more, well have to make the most of his appearances.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

March 16 2017, 2:27 PM 

"rested for matches to come"? The first test this summer is nearly 4 months away (6th of July). He will have a lot of drinks carrying duties to do before then for England ODI sides!! That is obviously going to tire him out.

sid
(Login sid-don)
Assistant Moderator

March 16 2017, 3:26 PM 

I'm normally accepting of 'team England' demands but the loss of Jonny for the first two games is tosh. Root and Rashid have some logic.

Stu: With NLOP, I'm not sure anyone literally means NEVER leave of Patto, his performances and stats have to justify selection. It's more a case of making sure the unseen work he does is valued and not seen as being less significant than that of the more eye catching fast men such as Plunkett, Sidebottom or Brooks.

This message has been edited by sid-don on Mar 16, 2017 3:31 PM

wibseysa
(Login wibseysa)

March 16 2017, 3:40 PM 

I can understand root been rested,but Jonny bairstow no out in Antigua he was having fun,sunbathing and on a jet ski,I wish the ecb would give him a,break and let him play.

(Login dpressed)

March 16 2017, 3:52 PM 

More proof that all that matters in English cricket is 'Team England'. This is the reason why many Yorkshire members don't bother with England matches at Headingley.

(Login Jacobus24)

March 16 2017, 4:10 PM 

Lyth
Lees
Ballance (c)
Leaning
Handscomb (wk)
Brook
Bresnan
Rafiq
Patterson
Brooks
Sidebottom

This message has been edited by Jacobus24 on Mar 16, 2017 4:11 PM

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

March 16 2017, 5:27 PM 

D`pressed - "More proof that all that matters in English cricket is 'Team England'. This is the reason why many Yorkshire members don't bother with England matches at Headingley."

In the AGM stuff we recd., Simon Mann was bemoaning the fact that YCC members do not support test matches at Headingley enough, and stated that we should do a lot more. Is it any wonder the way "team England" behave with stopping our players from playing for us.

All we want is consistency. Those who play regularly need resting, those who do not play for months on end do not need resting.

This message has been edited by StuartRA on Mar 16, 2017 5:38 PM

(Login dpressed)

March 16 2017, 6:41 PM 

BTW we are talking about a player who wanted to play in the final Championship match at Lords in 2016, but was told he couldn't.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

March 16 2017, 9:02 PM 

Quietly fuming.

There can be no justification for this.

Pyrahtechnics
(Login Pyrahtechnics)

March 17 2017, 12:33 AM 

Not sure how the ECB can even demand to rest players from County Cricket for a considerable length of time when Andrew Strauss has encouraged a number of players to participate in the IPL - a high intense tournament with 14 group stage games over a 6 week period, beginning on 5th April.

With the proposed new Twenty20 tournament, I do wonder whether the ECB are purposely devaluing County Cricket.

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk