<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Look at the crowd!!

March 16 2017 at 11:01 PM
Sid  (Login sid-don)
Assistant Moderator

This is county cricket from 1995. I accept its not how every game was but its still county cricket, its 1995, its a Wednesday and its packed.

This was a time before 'team England' was everything, the game was still on terrestrial TV, the players were recognizable and county cricket retained a profile.

Its worth 14 minutes of anyone's time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abg8HqA4M9g

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

Re: Look at the crowd!!

March 17 2017, 12:55 AM 

Bevan was magnificent in that sort of run chase. Notice how parched Headingley looks - 95 was a swelteringly hot summer.

Phil
(Login ExiledinNotts)

March 17 2017, 10:50 AM 

Thanks for posting I enjoyed that with a mug of coffee

(Login BrickyardBoy)

March 17 2017, 11:48 AM 

Thanks for posting this, I have enjoyed watching it as it brought back happy memories of taking my son (then 9 years old) and one of his friends to this game.

We sat on the very back row of the old Western Terrace and imbibed the carnival atmosphere as lustily as those around us imbibed the Tetleys.

I recall that this was not one of Ian Austin's more dominant performances against Yorkshire (against whom he was often a mighty adversary) and the crowd got on his back mercilessly.

He was never one of the more sylph-like of cricketers and with is large trunk and short legs always seem to be treading water in the field. Having given up on one boundary chase, the crowd started to chant,

"You fat b-----d! You fat b-----d! Who ate all the pies? You fat b----d!"

Cruel, but it brought the house down.

Idle Man
(Login Idle_man)

March 17 2017, 12:15 PM 

I was there that day, a great game and great win.

However, as far as the crowd was concerned, it was a quarter-final, against Lancashire, of the major limited over competition at the time. If today we were to play Lancashire in a t20 quarter - not possible I know - it would be packed - a comfortable sell-out. The longer form cup has been down graded in many ways, but I don't think its popularity can now be saved by returning the England players. Were championship crowds much higher in 1995? That's not my memory.

TV coverage is a different point. I'm fully with you. The game's long term future depends on building from the sort of base you can only achieve with free BBC/ITV coverage.

sid
(Login sid-don)
Assistant Moderator

March 17 2017, 2:45 PM 

Ok, I was selective with my image of 1995 but I guarantee every stat or image which comes from the ECB when they try to convince people about their version for the future is incredibility carefully selected.

My point is that under the stewardship of the ECB who are effectively representatives of the current county managers, the county game is being destroyed. The ECB are either inept fools or brilliant strategists depending on how cynical one wants to be. They'll get what they want which is a reduced structure feeding a national team and a T20 franchise demanded by the TV channels. The game we love is being murdered. I'm no Luddite, I like T20 I'm an all options member but I'm a member of YCCC and we are under serious threat.

An analogy, I'm Arthur Scargill, Colin Graves is Margaret T and Andrew Strauss is Ian MacGregor, 'they'll be no pit closures and no compulsory redundancies'. And we have no deep coal mines left.

Brothers and sisters - to the barricades.

Crowds from the last 25 years? In Yorks, I'd suggest Headingley is about the same and four day attendances at Scarborough have improved.

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk