<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Sheffield Shield

March 20 2017 at 8:01 AM
Ball-Sup (Phil)  (Login ball_sup)

I just wanted to make a point about the mess Australian Domestic Cricket gets itself in. 26 March is the date for the Sheffield Shield Final. The top two State teams battle it out (over 5 days if necessary) to find the overall Champions.

This year, it's Victoria v South Australia. The State with the best record over the season gets home advantage & hosts the Sheffield Shield Final. That is Victoria, whose home ground is the MCG, the iconic Melbourne Cricket Ground.

Unfortunately, the MCG is not available to host the Final. Mainly because another sport (Aussie Rules Football) is played there. So, Victoria have to switch to a suitable outground.

That is Traeger Park.
In Alice Springs.
In the Northern Territories.
ie not in Victoria
Which is 23hrs & 49mins drive from the MCG

Imagine .....

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

Re: Sheffield Shield

March 20 2017, 9:11 AM 

There isn't another suitable venue in the whole state of Victoria? Not to mention the administratative cock up.

Tom
(Login whiterosetom)

March 20 2017, 9:16 AM 

Anyone would think first class cricket is being pushed to one side, I can't imagine this would have happened in the big bash.

Just out of interest, what kind of numbers do they get watching the Sheffield Shield compared to the County Championship?

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

March 20 2017, 10:19 AM 

I have written many times that it is a mistake to copy Australian cricket. Their way of doing things is very alien, their attitudes to supporting teams is completely different to the English 'through thick and thin' mindset.

I understand Sheffield Shield games are not supported at all, crowds more akin to a County 2nd XI match than to our County Championship, and it has always been like that, apparently.

Back in 2002, I attended a Western Australia v Tasmania 50-over day/night match at the WACA. It was between Tests and all the Oz players had been released to play - Langer, Gilchrist and three or four others. The weather was lovely, not too warm in the afternoon and absolutely blissful after dark under the superb floodlights.

The attendance was about the same as we would get for a County Championship day in good weather at Headingley. Perhaps 2,000 witnessed a match-winning Langer innings, a brave knock on a fiery pitch.

Tom
(Login whiterosetom)

March 20 2017, 1:08 PM 

Interesting Dave, and backs up what i've read elsewhere. There are obvious differences, greater travel for some fans for a start. They do however have the better weather and a bigger cricket following in other formats adjusted for population.

Perhaps it's a cultural thing, sports teams in England (and europe for that matter) seem to be more entrenched in local history rather than elsewhere where teams seem to move or change their name at the drop of a hat.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

March 20 2017, 9:43 PM 

They could move it to Dubai.....

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

March 20 2017, 11:27 PM 

Didn't it happen in American Football? The Oakland Raiders, a team with life-long supporters, just like YCCC, was suddenly and without warning taken by the owner of the Raiders franchise to Los Angeles. Just like that, power without responsibility to anything except the Great God Profit.

Do we know anyone like that?

Kevin Owens
(Login kevinowens)

RE: Sheffield Shield

March 21 2017, 8:04 AM 

What a season Chadd (yes it's spelt like that) Sayers has taken 54 wickets in 10 shield games and the final still to come. How he hasn't got a call up to the test team I don't know.

This message has been edited by kevinowens on Mar 21, 2017 9:21 AM

WR_Metcalfe
(Login WR_Metcalfe)

March 21 2017, 12:44 PM 

The Oakland Raiders haven't moved yet, although there is a proposed move to Las Vegas being worked out.

In the last two years the Rams have moved from St Louis to Los Angeles, and the Chargers have moved from San Diego also to Los Angeles.

Tom
(Login whiterosetom)

March 21 2017, 1:11 PM 

In rugby union the London Wasps moved to Coventry while the super league seem intent on getting more fashionable locations in the top division. Wakefield Trinity are struggling to find a home and they've had all range of suggestions from selling their super league license to the newly formed Toronto to making way for a new franchise team.

In football Wimbledon famously relocated to Milton Keynes althoug they've since gone on to reform and are now playing in the same division.

I suppose this is what happens when sports teams are no longer "clubs" but businesses.

garywilson
(Login garywilson2)

March 21 2017, 1:50 PM 

I have a friend in Australia who told me Shield games were very well supported in the 70s and 80s. He says there were regularly 20,000 at the MCG .

In 1973/74 the 20 games attracted 350,000 spectators . Average of 17,500 per game .

(Login dikaiopolis)

March 22 2017, 11:12 AM 

I went to an Aussie Rules game at the MCG a few years ago. It was a local derby - Collingwood v Melbourne - but just an ordinary league match, not a finals match or anything special. The attendance was 77,000, so you can understand why it gets priority over the 2,000 who might have turned up for the cricket.

Sad but true! Although you would have thought they could find a ground closer than Alice Springs...

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk