<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
CaravanShaker
(Login CaravanShaker)

A novel way of doing things

April 13 2017, 9:16 AM 

It looks like there are at least some people not lying back and thinking of the England and Wales Cricket Board.

After consultation with members at yesterday’s AGM, the Board of Middlesex CCC have decided that it is unable to support the proposed changes to the articles of association of the ECB.

http://www.middlesexccc.com/news/2017/april/middlesex-cricket-outlines-position-on-proposed-ecb-changes/

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

Re: New T20 comp.

April 13 2017, 9:27 AM 

Good for them. At least one of the counties has some ***** to stand up to the bully boys of the ECB.

Did I blink and miss our members consultation??

This message has been edited by StuartRA on Apr 13, 2017 12:12 PM

Fraisse10
(Login Fraisse10)

April 13 2017, 12:57 PM 

Middlesex have a spine. Yorkshire don't. Embarrassing.

Tom
(Login whiterosetom)

April 13 2017, 1:14 PM 

Well done Middlesex although I expect their financial position is vastly different to ours meaning they're less under the ECB's thumb. That along with the fact they aren't being blackmailed by the ECB to spend millions on a new stand.

Alibor
(Login Alibor2)

April 13 2017, 2:11 PM 

It seems to me that real cricket is on the way out and counties, including Yorkshire will disappear. Those now in charge of our County Club are either marketing or financial "experts" and the proposal for new President shows there is no perception of the strong feelings of members and life long supporters of Yorkshire County Crickd Club. There is too much Headingley influence. There is need for the Club to take stock before it is too late. We should listen to our Geoffrey rather than the likes of Vaughan.

WR_Metcalfe
(Login WR_Metcalfe)

April 13 2017, 2:56 PM 

Vaughan's whole arguement for supporting the Franchise cricket was that people would turn out in their thousands to watch Stokes bowl at Root, and that Root would play for a team at Headingley called "White Rose".

Well the first point is spoiled by the fact that it will be played during the test series. His second point is made up nonsense, the only talk of player recruitment is through a draft, not pre-allocation. And if you are calling Yorkshire v Lancashire White Rose v Red Rose, what exactly has changed from the county system. I presume fewer people identify with the wars of the roses than their county.

Vaughan just likes to manufacture controversy.

(Login sooty-yorkie1)

April 13 2017, 3:07 PM 

I don't think middlesex are any more or less altruistic than Yorkshire. Their motivation and reasoning is the same as ours,money. They think they'll do better financially in the current system than the proposed one. Nothing more, i very much doubt it's because of some misty eyed view of cricket. They are just as much looking at the bottom line as the ECB or Yorkshire.

Ball-Sup (Phil)
(Login ball_sup)

April 13 2017, 3:19 PM 

I happen to be a Middlesex Member as well as a Yorkshire Member. I've posted before about County Cricket being financially unsustainable without a cross subsidy from somewhere. The money coming in from Membership fees, gate money, hospitality, food & drink, and media rights is not enough. It won't pay for player's & coach's salaries, ground developments, pitch maintenance & expenses for staging games. Without a cross subsidy, we'd have sub standard pitches, poor drainage, part time players, poor fitness & poor quality games. As it happens. As a realist. I'd accept some​ of that. Cricket “Supporters” bleating on about it all being someone else's fault will as surely kill County Cricket as the ECB Bogeyman.

The current cross subsidy is provided by ECB International Cricket. The system is far from perfect. But, I'm happy to acknowledge. Without a vibrant & sellable England team, there would be no money for County Cricket. To see​ County Cricket continue, I will happily pay the price of the ECB dictating who can play when. We need to have a cross subsidy. We have to accept a price.

But, that's as far as I go. ECB Franchised T20 is an attempt at generating another cross subsidy. But, I'm against it. My simple logic is - if you can't generate enough money to fund 18 teams, creating 8 more is an odd thing to do.

I'm glad “my second County” Middlesex have voted against it. Salute.

Middlesex finances are different to Yorkshire’s. They are not a rich club. They don't own their own ground. Plus side - they don't have to get into debt developing & maintaining it. Down side - they don't make any real money from gate receipts and food n drink. All that goes to the MCC. And of course, Middlesex don't make a penny from hostng ECB International Cricket. They won't be a Franchise T20 host. They don't own a ground, remember. In a sense, they're a Cricket Club. They don't get sidetracked by loans, debts, council grants, bidding for Test matches. They don't need construction engineers, project managers, property developers, millionaire sugar daddy grocers on the board. A lot of nervous energy into CRICKET. Precious little into associated Bollocks. I quite like that. They won the Title you know….. and they can & have voted against Franchise T20.

Taking advantage of all the discounts, my Middlesex Membership cost me £59.

Phil

This message has been edited by ball_sup on Apr 13, 2017 3:21 PM

Fraisse10
(Login Fraisse10)

April 19 2017, 3:05 PM 

Essex will also oppose the new competition. Good for Essex!

http://www.espncricinfo.com/county-cricket-2017/content/story/1093341.html

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

April 19 2017, 5:03 PM 

Good for Essex, another county with the ***** to stand up to the ECB bully boys.

The key phrase - "after consultation with members". Where and when was our consultation?

(Login Danum)

April 19 2017, 9:01 PM 

Stuart RA

YCCC's 'consultation' took place immediately after the Hutton EGM on 7April. It was announced quietly on the website a few days prior and took the form of a presentation by Gordon Hollins of the ECB to explain the thinking behind it. It was clearly a pitch he has delivered many times to sceptical audiences. Several members,myself included, attempted to pierce his good news bubble by questioning but, short of him actually saying it, they don't really care what we think because we are not the target constituency. You might have hoped that YCCC board might have reflected members views in their deliberations before deciding whether to support the ECB but no doubt they also take the view that true cricket lovers are irrelevant to this scheme.

(Login sooty-yorkie1)

April 20 2017, 12:23 AM 

Another county that stands to lose financially votes against the proposal. For all their supposed altruism, I'd bet any money another chunk of money promised to them would have all those objections soon vanish into thin air.

Fraisse10
(Login Fraisse10)

April 26 2017, 1:36 PM 

And now Kent. Home Counties putting others to shame.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/39693866

CaravanShaker
(Login CaravanShaker)

April 26 2017, 1:41 PM 

Not that it seemed to have made much difference:

https://www.ecb.co.uk/news/377208

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

April 26 2017, 1:47 PM 

Well, the turkeys have voted for Christmas!!!

I just wonder in 5 years time if we will still have 18 counties in EVERY ECB run competition. One of them has already gone that way, will the other 3 follow?

The counties might then realise just what they have let themselves in for.

WR_Metcalfe
(Login WR_Metcalfe)

April 26 2017, 1:51 PM 

This gives them free reign to threaten counties further, over debts, facilities etc.

Fraisse10
(Login Fraisse10)

April 26 2017, 2:25 PM 

The 38 can form a new dining club: the Judas Iscariot society.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

April 26 2017, 2:27 PM 

What has it got to do with anyone apart from the 18 counties, anyway. Should have been 18 votes.

(Login dpressed)

April 26 2017, 3:42 PM 

I predict that the result will be the end of the 18 counties as a meaningful entity. The championship will be 10 or 12 matches, if it still exists.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

April 26 2017, 5:17 PM 

From cricinfo

".....Significant practical challenges remain before the new-team competition is launched. Quite apart from the issues facing the existing domestic tournaments - and there is a fear that all will be compromised - they ECB have to make the new one work in the face of ever-growing competition. We know already that the new-team competition will clash with the Caribbean Premier League - giving players the intriguing choice of a few weeks in Birmingham or Barbados - and England's Test schedule.

So, while the ECB executive have claimed the new tournament will contain the best players in the world, in reality they may struggle to involve even the best in England. And while Virat Kohli's image has featured in some of the internal propaganda, there has been no sign of an agreement with the BCCI would be see Indian players released for another nation's domestic T20 event. In the summer of 2023, for example, it seems likely the new tournament will not contain players from India, West Indies (who are committed to the CPL) or anyone in the England or Australia Test squads, who will, at that time, be engaged in the Ashes......"

It would appear that we will not be getting as many, if any, of the "star" foreign players playing in the new comp that the ECB envisaged.

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk