<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
East Coast Type
(Login EastCoastType)

Re: New T20 comp.

April 26 2017, 5:35 PM 

From cricinfo

".....Significant practical challenges remain ... the new-team competition will clash with the Caribbean Premier League and England's Test schedule. So, while the ECB executive have claimed the new tournament will contain the best players in the world, in reality they may struggle to involve even the best in England. And while Virat Kohli's image has featured in some of the internal propaganda, there has been no sign of an agreement with the BCCI would be see Indian players released for another nation's domestic T20 event ......"

And, to think, Graves and Harrison refer to the T20 Blast as mediocre.

Surely, Sky and others will look at this and wonder if it really will be worth paying megabucks for. And it only increases my view that the ECB will have to kill the T20 Blast. To make what is starting to look like a rather feeble new competition sell anything like big, it will have to be the only T20 in town.

WR_Metcalfe
(Login WR_Metcalfe)

April 26 2017, 6:23 PM 

All of the marketing guff spouted from the talking heads has been how this is going to be Joe Root against Ben Stokes. Everyone conveniently forgetting that they will be playing test cricket for England.

Unless players decide to make themselves unavailable for the test team, Englands top players wont be playing. And, because franchises are drafting these players Root etc wont have a team to play for if he is released. No one is going to bid for a player for one game.

So maybe the ECB will assign the test players out for one appearance a season so they can be used in all the marketing promotions. I should stop giving them ideas.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

Too many T20 leagues.

April 27 2017, 8:15 AM 

More indications that the ECB's new T20 might just be a competition too many.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci-icc/content/story/1094746.html

(Login ThirdUmpire)

April 27 2017, 8:54 AM 

My money is on the new competition being a 10 over competition to differentiate from the rest. They could play 5 games in one day at that rate but this may reduce revenue and increase risk of player burn out. The ecb may let Root play in the 10-30 game only and not ones later in the day.

(Login Jacobus24)

April 27 2017, 5:02 PM 

Eccles born Michael Vaughan has been instigating the new T20 behind the scenes and publicly, his ego is out of control and i believe his twitter fame has helped increase his alienation from the sports true identity.

(Login WhiteroseDave)

April 27 2017, 5:36 PM 

On he subject of attracting the world stars of T20. Outside of the Indians who don't play anywhere else, are there any of the worlds best who don't/haven't played in the current T20 blast? Of the top 10 ranked batsmen the only 3 that don't/haven't are an Indian (kohli), Afghanistan and Zimbabwean, in fact 4 of the top 5 have played for Yorkshire in the last couple of years! Add that to the likes of Gayle, Mccullum and Sangakkara and an awful lot of the worlds top bowlers. Who exactly is it that isn't coming and we're trying to attract?

WR_Metcalfe
(Login WR_Metcalfe)

April 27 2017, 5:41 PM 

And relations between the BCCI and everyone else don't seem too friendly at the moment.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

April 27 2017, 8:14 PM 

Sorry but the big names we are trying to attract and who will come are a bunch of has beens just playing some meaningless Mickey Mouse games to boost the money in the bank.

With fewer teams I would rather see the better quality england qualified players competing instead of Gayle, McCullum, Afridi, Tait, Steyn, etc and keep the money within our game.

(Login WhiteroseDave)

April 27 2017, 10:25 PM 

So it seems the questions to the ECB/Graves/Vaughan/Whoever should be: "Can you name me 3 cricketers that this new competition will attract that the old one couldn't?" And "what benefit will they bring and who will it benefit?"

Papag
(Login Papag1)

April 28 2017, 10:04 AM 

The more this comes nearer to fruition the more I am losing my love for the game in all formats, just cant get on board no matter how I try with the massive changes in our game solely in the dash for cash. Just hoping something /somebody stops this madness but not holding my breath.

just grazing
(Login Justgrazing)

Time to re-think

April 28 2017, 10:34 AM 

So the ICC's solution to the sprawling hydra of T20 competitions around the world is to propose that Test Series should be reduced to a maximum of 2 games per series to be played at times not clashing with T20 ie June & October.

This is very much in keeping with the vision of Grim Reaper Graves and his acolytes which unfortunately now include the YCCC management.

Can anybody explain why we have gone £24 million into debt chasing the promise of Test Match ground status and now plan to bankrupt ourselves for a stand that will be roped off all year as we won't be willing to pay for a steward to ensure the safety of anyone venturing into the stand.

Ball-Sup (Phil)
(Login ball_sup)

April 28 2017, 11:32 AM 

The solution to preserving four/five day Cricket is obvious.

Enough people have to go through the turnstiles and/or pay TV subscriptions to generate enough cash to pay players/coaches/staff wages, maintain the stadiums & pitches & fund the general day to day expenses of running a Cricket Club.

It is staring us in the face.

Phil

WR_Metcalfe
(Login WR_Metcalfe)

April 28 2017, 12:15 PM 

A low-cost live streaming service, which could by synced with the BBC commentary would "monetise" the thousands of us who follow on cricinfo/BBC commentry etc.

There are commentators at every ground, there are HD cameras at every ground and there are counties who are already pioneering the live streaming of games.

Ball-Sup
(Login ball_sup)

April 28 2017, 12:20 PM 

WR Metcalfe
I agree entirely. Lots of freeloaders listening to BBC Online Commentaries while I'm busting my balls going to live money through the turnstile Cricket in order to keep it financially viable.

Those Commentaries/Streams need monetising.

Phil

marsker
(Login marskeman)

April 28 2017, 12:23 PM 

If I was running a county club I wouldn't be showing a live stream on every game. I would not be driving 80 miles and sitting on chilly days as I do now so you would lose a lot of members.

marsker
(Login marskeman)

April 28 2017, 12:23 PM 

If I was running a county club I wouldn't be showing a live stream on every game. I would not be driving 80 miles and sitting on chilly days as I do now so you would lose a lot of members.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

April 28 2017, 12:26 PM 

Same principle applies to "free to view" tv. The ECB seem to think that showing the new T20 comp on terrestial tv will give the game a boost. It will do, but it will also massively decrease spectators actually paying to go and watch games. Showing matches on free to view" will not increase ground attendances, and will, probably decrease them. Attendances down, income down - the exact opposite to what the ECB want.

Ball-Sup (Phil)
(Login ball_sup)

April 28 2017, 12:40 PM 

Stu

I hear you mate. But, I do have an alternative view. I am NOT a supporter of New ECB T20 Franchised Cricket. I would have preferred an 18 County "solution".

But, I've a little personal experience of Australian Big Bash. In my opinion, a large part of it's success is - it has become an event.

I think there is a two way feeding frenzy if you can pull it off. People go to live games because it is so popular on the Tele. And people watch it on the Tele because there are so many people watching it in the ground.

It's not exactly like that. And, there is more to it's success than that. But, I do feel there is something in that create a sense of event strategy.

And, no, I don't think ECB can pull that off with new T20.

Phil

WR_Metcalfe
(Login WR_Metcalfe)

April 28 2017, 1:18 PM 

The figures released show that there were over 1m unique listeners to the BBC commentry, if this was provided for say £20 per season thats over £20 million in revenue, with very low costs. Split that between 18 counties and you get about £1 million each.

Given that the price of a county chairman's soul is £1.3 million this is not an insignificant amount.

I know that this is a very simplistic view, but clearly there is potential.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

April 28 2017, 3:35 PM 

Three players we will see that won't come to the current t20?

Pietersen will be one. Pollard, Bravo, de Villiers, and a plane load of second rate Indian medium pacers

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk