<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

New T20 comp.

March 27 2017 at 3:43 PM
Stu  (Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

from the Guardian

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2017/mar/26/ecb-ploughs-on-t20-extravaganza-counties

The vote takes place today to change the Constitution of the ECB to allow them to hold a competition without all 18 counties involvement. The 1.3M bribe to all counties will ensure that all the turkeys will vote for Christmas.

As an aside --- are any supporters in favour of this new comp apart from the idiots at the ECB. Nearly all the postings after every article about the new comp seem to be against it. Do, or will, the ECB listen to supporters. NO, of course not!!

This message has been edited by StuartRA on Mar 27, 2017 4:01 PM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
YorkTyke
(Login YorkTyke)

New T20 comp.

March 27 2017, 4:06 PM 

Tyke1950
(Login Tyke1950)

Re: New T20 comp.

March 27 2017, 4:12 PM 

Couldn't help but notice that the 1.3 million pound inducement to the counties is one hundred thousand pounds less than Ben Stokes is getting for his few weeks stint in the IPL.

The mess of pottage isn't all that succulent in reality!

Papag
(Login Papag1)

Its Over

March 27 2017, 7:23 PM 

Looks like a done deal to me and if there is a shock vote against they will keep voting until they get the result they want, our game as we all know and love is about to change for the worse imo, but the money men will be loving it.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

Significant watering down!!

March 27 2017, 7:28 PM 

I think either the Chairman or Mark Arthur mentioned getting cricket back on the BBC during the AGM when talking about the new competition being on free to air TV. Just to put cricket back in front of people and get a new audience in.

Anybody having watched the Big Bash with the incessant advertising, i.e " lets have a look at the buntings warehouse replay" will have seen through that and known it was commercial TV they were talking about.

The latest from the ECB is that:

'All games will be televised with significant free to air exposure'

What proportion 'significant' is we will see, probably not the final!

I think I also picked up that the games would be played during the day.

Probably just a happy coincidence that the timings will be just right for an early evening TV audience in India!

Sid
(Login sid-don)
Assistant Moderator

Re: Significant watering down!!

March 27 2017, 9:00 PM 

Lets be honest, this is coming. End of. The objections of the current cricket community are meaningless, its about a new audience. End of.

A few, for example Vic Marks in his most recent Guardian article, Radcliffe (ex- Warks) of the PCA and a few players are expressing doubts but to quietly and to late.

To me the counties need to set out some 'red lines'. They have to get something more than money from these changes. I'll start CC returns to 16 games and the re-written ECB constitution needs to be clear that first class cricket includes all the existing 18, no others, no composites and no rationalization.

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

March 27 2017, 10:05 PM 

So eight teams, fifteen man squads with 3 overseas players. The quality will be high so people will pay to watch, anyone who thinks otherwise is living in cloud cuckoo land I'm afraid. Test players won't be available throughout but that has never hindered the Big Bash. It's a sad day in many ways but it's also a sign of the times, cricket must adapt or die.

Steve C
(Login stevecowton)
Assistant Moderator

March 28 2017, 9:24 AM 

I think the absolutely crucial thing is Terrestrial TV.
Cricket will die if we don't attract kids and families.

A few years ago cricket was the fifth most popular game in Australia.
Its now the most popular - almost entirely because of the Big Bash.
I'm afraid that doing nothing is simply not an option.

We need this new tournament, we need games at Headingley, therefore (I'm afraid) we need the new stand and the additional debt that involves..

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

March 28 2017, 9:24 AM 

I must be living in cloud-cuckoo land then!!

Artificial teams, with artificial names, played on artificial pitches, with possibly no locally based players, no test players and on "free to view" tv. Crowds will be no higher than the current T20 tournament, IMO.

And to fit this in, we get a reduction in the CC, a second X1 50 comp, and a reduction in the county based T20 comp.

8 teams, 36 matches -- I assume 4 home and 4 away by playing the local team twice and the others once (as in the Aussie big-bash).

YorkTyke
(Login YorkTyke)

Re: New T20 Comp.

March 28 2017, 9:43 AM 

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

March 28 2017, 9:57 AM 

Paul Newman (the third person on the panel) was more sceptical and realistic about the downsides of the tournament.

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

March 28 2017, 10:13 AM 

Stu, the crowds this will attract don't care if the teams are made up because they don't care about county cricket - that's the point. Maybe, just maybe, county cricket will gain more followers as a result of attracting new people to the game.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

March 28 2017, 10:29 AM 

I see your point Seadog. Hopefully the crowds will come to the new T20 matches first and then switch to "proper" cricket later.

"Free to view" will take many of the crowd though, especially for families purely from a cost point of view. Could be £100 plus if you include drinks and travel costs etc for a family of 4, or stop at home and watch for free.

Martin
(Login Martinh00)

March 28 2017, 11:00 AM 

"a second X1 50 comp"

This is the bit that I cannot work out. If we want to be the best 50 over a side team internationally, then surely we should be laying on a high quality 50 over comp domestically?

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

March 28 2017, 11:11 AM 

"A second X1 comp." are my words.

It is to run alongside the new T20 comp, played on out grounds, with no test players, no overseas players and without the top 96 county players (8 teams, 12 players) as they will be either unavailable for England or playing in the T20 comp.

Who knows who is going to be picked up or even still playing in 3 years time, but imagine a Yorkshire team without Lyth, Lees, Ballance, Leaning, Bresnan, Root, Bairstow, Willey, Plunkett, Rashid, Brooks, Siddy, Fisher & Rhodes, who are all probably good enough to be picked for a t20 franchise (or have retired).

WR_Metcalfe
(Login WR_Metcalfe)

March 28 2017, 11:15 AM 

I'd rather go to Scarborough and watch a young Yorkshire team play 50 over cricket than watch the City T20

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

March 28 2017, 11:28 AM 

....So would I. But nevertheless it will impact on crowds.

WR_Metcalfe
(Login WR_Metcalfe)

March 28 2017, 11:44 AM 

This City T20 manages to sabotage almost all other cricket.

How many years do we complain and argue about the schedule, T20 has moved from a block, to Friday nights and now back to a block again this year. But now apparently we can fit four tournaments in!

City T20 will completely marginalise the T20 blast, the 50 over game will be 2nd XI teams at the outgrounds and the County Championship will be a game played in Spring and Autumn. We are currently one of the best countries in the world at 50 over cricket, but in a few years time we might as well not bother playing it.

Joe Root and Ben Stokes, just about the only cricketers a member of the public might recognise, won't be playing in the City T20. Are you really going to capture the imagination of the country with county pros and journeymen overseas players?

And also, the whole model assumes that the counties release their contracted players. What is the benefit to Yorkshire County Cricket Club of releasing, say Gary Ballance, for a month in the middle of the season when Yorkshire will be playing in competitions we can win? I have heard absolutely nothing on this point.

YorkTyke
(Login YorkTyke)

March 28 2017, 12:06 PM 

I think we are going to end up with two parallel sports here with two parallel and different audiences - the T20 version and the county championship/test version. If the new city based T20 comp attracts attendees who have not hitherto gone to cricket matches (and they may not necessarily attend to watch the cricket but to avail themselves of the catering facilities) I can't honestly see them moving onto watching county championship/test cricket as the ECB believe.

If successful the new comp may well subsidise first class cricket in England but I can't honestly see it growing interest and support amongst new audiences for this latter version of the game.

sid
(Login sid-don)
Assistant Moderator

March 28 2017, 2:14 PM 

Lets be pragmatic, this will happen. To me its now about 'red lines' from the counties and mounting a small fight back now, it'll soon be to late.

As i say above:

CC back to 16 games

T20 blast every Fri night, or the occasional Sunday, from May to early July - enough time for 16 games

50 over in Aug, fair enough, I've no problem with outgrounds and some 2nd eleven players, but it needs to be a tightish block.

No amendment to counties in their existing formats. The current 18 remain the sole entry to the championshipp and in its format as it was. If Harrsion is serious about 'future proofing' the counties, lets get it in writing.

Some notes of caution and alarm:

The model set out by Harrison from a county prepsective relies on 'cross - subsidisation' from the wealthy (new T20) to the poor (existing county format), this will go against every business belief of Harrison / Graves. I don't trust them. Graves build his Costcutter chain by destroying the weak, not bailing them out. If the money roles in, they'll not want to use it propping up the likes of Northants and Leicestershire.

Vic marks in todays Guardian says 2020 draft schdule has 7 CC games before end of May and a further 5 in Sept, thats unacceptable.

Biggest lash up yet to be covered,and everyone is seemingly rather quiet about, is the draft. Sending Ballance to London, Lees to Nottingham and lyth to South Wales, whilst a pro-Yorks crowd watch the 'Leeds whoevers' with AN Other from Gloucester and NE body from Sussex simply will not work! Sport has to have meaning, there has to be emotional attachment to the teams. We'll be wanting our 'own' players to fail. I like a night at T20 but I wont be going because I wont care about the outcome, to see for example ballance hit a last ball winning 6 at Leeds against the home team I should nominally be supporting, would be rather strange.

This message has been edited by sid-don on Mar 28, 2017 2:16 PM

< Previous Page 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk