<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

Re: Breaking news on Headingley future

March 30 2017, 11:11 AM 

I can not get my head around this. We go heavily into debt so the ECB and the ICC can play matches at Headingley in 2019, but we can not play our matches there. What matches will we get - Bangladesh v Ireland no doubt with a couple of thousand in the ground. I have nothing against using out grounds, but Bradford? Why not Scarborough. The North Yorkshire fans are going to be spitting feathers over that proposal.

It will probably never come to pass, as the way the ECB are going there will probably only be 8 CC matches by then and no 50 over cricket.

It`s akin to me spending 1000`s improving my house, to let someone else use it rent free, while I move out and rent a residence somewhere else 20 miles away. Crazy

This message has been edited by StuartRA on Mar 30, 2017 11:19 AM

Tyke1950
(Login Tyke1950)

March 30 2017, 12:44 PM 

What's wrong with Bradford?

Martin
(Login Martinh00)

March 30 2017, 12:57 PM 

Haven't the ECB invested money in Bradford Park Avenue - presumably that's the reason they are proposing to use it.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

March 30 2017, 2:12 PM 

Nothing at all against Bradford, but why not Scarborough where the infrastructure is already in place and crowds are usually very good. Why should we HAVE to play any of OUR matches away from Headingley? Can`t we just play "away" during the World Cup or arrange the two annual Scarborough matches during that period.

Idle man
(Login Idle_man)

March 30 2017, 2:12 PM 

Always my favourite ground. Good luck to them restoring it, but it will never be the same.

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

March 30 2017, 3:40 PM 

Not unless they rebuild the pavilion and the football stand! All my early memories are of Park Avenue, and as a little kid I could get there on my own, by bus from Wibsey.

So I got a chance to see Hutton, Trueman, Wardle, Close, Binks and all the others, a chance to see heroes which is denied kids in Yorkshire today, unless they live in Leeds or Scarborough.

Bradford is not too far from Leeds, of course, but there's nothing for the people of Sheffield and its surrounding towns.

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk