<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Pink ball problems

March 29 2017 at 7:48 AM
Guest  (Login WhiteroseDave)

Has anyone else read this about our day night game against Surrey?http://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/sport/15184955.__39_Colour_blind__39__Ballance_may_have_to_miss_Yorkshire__39_s_pink_ball_clash/?ref=rss&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter
Surely this isn't the sort of thing that can be allowed to happen for the integrity of the league if nothing else? This may (or may not!) be a top of the table clash which has a bearing in the outcome of the title but one team could potentially be missing their captain because of some experiment?

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
(Login BrickyardBoy)

Re: Pink ball problems

March 29 2017, 8:34 AM 

Would not the Disability Discrimination Act come into play in this situation?

just grazing
(Login Justgrazing)

March 29 2017, 8:59 AM 

As sunset at that time is 9.45 pm, there seems little point in using a pink ball as there won't be sufficient darkness to test it out. We might as well play with a red ball at that time of year.

MikeBrc
(Login MikeBrc)

March 31 2017, 7:24 PM 

Just been reading a Times report about this posted 2 hours ago which ends with a comment from Kathryn Albany Ward founder of the Colour Blind Awareness organisation:

"The cricketing world has known about the problems colour-blind players have in following the pink ball for quite some time. The problems experienced by Chris Rogers and Matthew Wade in Australian night matches have been widely reported so I was amazed and very disappointed to hear that Gary Ballance might be excluded from a night game in county cricket for precisely the same reason.

“In the UK colour blindness can be considered to be a disability where it prevents someone from carrying out their everyday activities. This means employers are obliged to take reasonable steps to accommodate someone’s colour blindness.

“In view of the fact that one in 12 men has some form of colour blindness this means in cricket, in theory, there will be at least one colour-blind player in each team and of course many spectators will also be colour blind. Assuming a capacity crowd at Lord’s with 50:50 male to female ratio, there will be a minimum of 1,250 colour-blind spectators at the ground and for TV audiences the numbers will obviously be much greater. So it would be extremely difficult to argue that it is reasonable to use the pink ball when so many people are potentially affected.

“The issue with the pink ball appears to affect people with red-vision deficiency more than those with green-vision deficiency but many factors will affect how visible to the ball might be, including the type of floodlighting. This issue needs to be urgently investigated in more detail and a colour selected for the balls used in night games which is visible to everyone.”

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

March 31 2017, 7:54 PM 

I suppose if Gary Ballance were paid for the work he was unable to do, that would cover the organisers?

Players have been saying for years that they can't see the pink ball, but their claims were dismissed out of hand, by Cricket Australia in particular, who were keen to play the first D/N Test. The game brought about a bizarre declaration, if I remember correctly, but attendances at Adelaide were good and it was pronounced a success.

I understand Yorkshire refused to play a D/N game v MCC in Adu Dhabi, 2016, after experiencing problems in 2015. I think it was Alex Lees who told me about the pink ball: "It's simple, you just can't see it!"

But what do players know? Or these namby pampy scientists, with their long words?

(Login BrickyardBoy)

March 31 2017, 8:35 PM 

"I suppose if Gary Ballance were paid for the work he was unable to do, that would cover the organisers?"

It might "buy him off", but it would not cover the organisers legally. Nor should it!

(Login ThirdUmpire)

April 1 2017, 8:32 AM 

I get requests for hockey matches to be played with particular coloured balls where white, yellow orange and pink are options. Squash too has changed ball colour for better tv coverage I believe.

One hockey match I umpired did make me chuckle when we started with an orange ball and the away keeper let in a goal after ten minutes. He then said he was colour blind and could not see orange so we changed to a white ball. Five minutes later he let in another goal to which the centre forward turned to him and asked him what colour ball he wanted next.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

April 1 2017, 9:13 AM 

It`s not an April Fool joke anymore, and becomes a serious problem if several cricketers in that particular week can not see the ball.

All the counties can do, is not to play them in that week, which is farcical.

Roundhegian
(Login Roundhegian)

April 1 2017, 11:30 AM 

A common form of colour vision deficiency involves difficulty in distinguishing between reds, greens and browns. Presumably people with this problem never get started in red-ball cricket, at least as batsmen, because they cannot become proficient - fielding too must be difficult.
It seems counter-intuitive that a pink ball would be more difficult to pick up than a red one.

Twelfth Man
(Login twelthman)

April 1 2017, 12:57 PM 

April fool it may be for now. But how long before the ECB add plastic bats to this farce or the new T20 comp?!

https://yorkshireccc.com/news/view/5492/yorkshire-to-use-plastic-bats-vs-leeds-bradford-mccu

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

April 1 2017, 1:57 PM 

Could be sooner than we think!!

The ECB have already stated that they would like all matches in the new T20 comp to be played on the same artificial pitches. Every match the same, no variance of bounce, spin or pace. Every match 201-4, plays 200-3. Boring boring cricket. Plastic bats could be the next wild idea from the ECB.

This message has been edited by StuartRA on Apr 1, 2017 2:00 PM

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk