<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

FRIENDLY | Yorkshire vs Leeds/Bradford MCCU (Match thread))

April 2 2017 at 11:18 AM

WRF  (Premier Login AlexRoberts)
Owner

Apr 2-4, 2017 - at Headingley, Leeds

YORKSHIRE from: A Lyth, AZ Lees, E Callis, GS Ballance*, JA Leaning, TT Bresnan, AJ Hodd†, Azeem Rafiq, SA Patterson, J Shaw, BO Coad

Live Scorecard

Pre-Season Poll

2017 FANTASY League

This message has been edited by AlexRoberts on Apr 2, 2017 11:20 AM

AuthorReply

Me4791
(Premier Login AlexRoberts)
Owner

Re: FRIENDLY | Yorkshire vs Leeds/Bradford MCCU (Match thread))

April 2 2017, 11:21 AM 

I see Callis is playing today. Does anyone know his situation at the club as he is 22 and has been around the 2nd XI and Academy for years but there is never any mention on the site as to regards to signing contracts etc. He hasn't even got a profile on the website under 2nd XI capped or Junior Pros.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

April 2 2017, 11:24 AM 

Think his season was cut short by injury last year but prior to that he had impressed

(Login Seadog73)

April 2 2017, 11:34 AM 

The line up suggests Handscomb will slot in at three next week, with Plunkett and Sidebottom in for Coad and Shaw if fit.

dave
(Login davidgeoffrey)

April 2 2017, 11:54 AM 

JollyD
(Login JollyD)

FRIENDLY Yorkshire vs Leeds/Bradford MCCU

April 2 2017, 2:18 PM 

Eliot Callis is a Senior Academy player. This is a new category introduced by Yorkshire a couple of years ago. Callis and Ryan Gibson were the first players to be so designated. Gibson is now a junior professional. Jordan Thompson and Edward Barnes have joined Callis as Senior Academy players.
I believe counties are limited by the ECB to 12 Academy players. By introducing this new category, Yorkshire can
monitor the progress of more young players.

Me4791
(Login Me4791)

Callis

April 2 2017, 4:33 PM 

How long can you br a senior academy player? This must be his 3rd or 4th year and he's 22 now.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

Gentle ease into the season.

April 2 2017, 8:16 PM 

Hope this match is still going on come Tuesday which is my only chance to get to Leeds.

I suppose in the day someone like Callis might have been picked up by another County. But with so many decent Kolpaks around if he doesn't make it with Yorkshire he will likely be lost to first class cricket.

Good -

Nice to see Michael Carberry get a century today on his return, hope that's his quota for April.

Bad -

Hameed hit on the hand again, more scans.

Steve C
(Login stevecowton)
Assistant Moderator

April 2 2017, 8:24 PM 

It was surprisingly warm in the Eastern uppper for an April morning.
The grass was green, the players wore white and all was well in the World.
Bressie bowled well and Patto was - well - just Patto...
I thought Ben Coad was impressive - very accurate and he built up some decent pace as his spell progressed.
Callis looks like a big lad - it will be interesting to see how he goes.
Lyth and Lees made hay in the sun shine but they will surely face more demanding bowling attacks in the months ahead.
I was surrounded by older people asking if they had "wintered" well.
And the Cheese Man was there - and Geraldo on his Moped.
The only thing missing was the bacon sandwich on arrival which i'd been anticipating since February....

(Login dpressed)

April 2 2017, 8:51 PM 

I also attended today. Luckily IK was warned about the first 'problem' before I got in the ground. The only entry was via the main gates, the Hutton gates staying locked. There were 100-150 at the start of the day rising to around 200 by mid afternoon. On the up side both scoreboards were working, but for most of the morning the clock on the 'main' one (by the North East Stand) appeared to think that it was the middle of the night (by lunch the time was 03:53). The Dickie Bird clock remained an hour fast all day. Thankfully the scoreboard on the West Stand was correct.

It was a gentle start for the team. Apart from one partnership between Graham & Wallace the batting wasn't up to much. As has already been said Coad looked lively, but on a pitch giving movement the bowling was good. The fielding was also decent with no obvious drops. Rafiq was on a hat trick but couldn't force a wicket with the first ball of an over. Patterson went for 11 off his first 3 overs, then 14 off the next 12. Ballance did a good job of rotating the bowling.

Sadly the Leeds/Bradford bowling didn't have much penetration. Lees & Lyth played well, as you'd expect for the first match there was the odd false stroke, but both looked secure. Lees was the more forceful batsman & once he'd got his ton went after one that off-spinner Graham 'pushed through' & was bowled. No worries as it was 'mission accomplished on his part. Callis had no problem batting through to the end.

I must admit in being disappointed that Ashraf was out injured as he'd have hopefully asked more questions than the other bowlers. There was a 'blast from the past' with Paul Hutchison sitting down the front of the Trueman chatting with Johny Bairstow's mum (Johny spent part of the day in the long room & part of it on the player's balcony) & later on with the Leeds/Bradford coach, who I feel I should know

btw we've been told that Stumps (the old cricket school bar/cafe) has closed as it was making a loss.

Sid
(Login sid-don)
Assistant Moderator

April 2 2017, 8:54 PM 

It was men against boys. The current Leeds MCCE crew look a weak side especially without Billy Root and Mo Ashraf.

Despite 30 wicketless overs in the middle of the innings, the natives were starting to get restless, there was always an inevitability after the Leeds innings. Bres looked more like a championship 4th seamer rather than a new ball man but he was operating within himself, Patto was 'Patto' and looked likely to take a wicket at anytime, and Rafiq appeared in good order although more testing times are around the corner.

Both Coad and Shaw did their long term prospects no harm. Coad was impressive and if one of the senior men is unavailable on Friday, I'd expect him to get the nod. Lyth took a couple of low catches at second slip, the sort of relatively sharp chance he makes look routine. Captain Ballance was low key and I'd suggest the bowling patterns were all planned.

When our turn came, Lees and Lyth helped themselves to some easy runs, both were ruthless with anything slightly off line. Both were chanceless. Lees slashed a few wide balls in the air around 3-4th slip but against better attacks, and in more serious circumstances, I'd suggest he'd have not played the shot.

Moans of the day 1) the Dickie Bird clock was an hour fast 2) the Hutton gate entrance was closed, so had to trapse around to St Michaels Lane 3) Long room looked to be still in moth balls when today was the start of the first class season.

The usual crowd appeared to have 'wintered well'. It was good to be back.

EDIT: Just read the post above by Dpressed - I'd agreed with it all. In addition to Paul H and JB, Billy Root was also present and sat in the east stand much of the day. He's playing for Notts 2s tomorrow in the game v Yorks 2nds.

This message has been edited by sid-don on Apr 2, 2017 8:58 PM

(Login ThirdUmpire)

April 3 2017, 8:44 AM 

Bairstow is a Leeds Carnegie, Beckett, Met old boy I believe. I hope he was relaxing well and sufficiently wrapped up in cotton wool by his Mum. Sitting with the injury prone Hutch may be a health hazard in itself.

Isn't Andrew Lawson the MCCU coach?

This message has been edited by ThirdUmpire on Apr 3, 2017 8:48 AM

Steve C
(Login stevecowton)
Assistant Moderator

April 3 2017, 9:01 AM 

Given that the game was free , wouldn't it have been easier to have all the gates open....?
And why were they handing out pass out tickets at lunchtime...?

Steve C
(Login stevecowton)
Assistant Moderator

April 3 2017, 2:53 PM 

I think we could possibly declare now...or Lythy could let someone else have a bat...

Tom
(Login whiterosetom)

April 3 2017, 3:12 PM 

I wonder how long we will bat. Do we get as much batting practice in a possible before declaring? Leaning could do with some time in the middle and a confidence booster before the important stuff but does Lyth really need to go on to get 300? We could've saved a bit of money by finishing it in two days.

Me4791
(Login Me4791)

Match

April 3 2017, 3:33 PM 

With it being a first class fixture I don't think any batsman would retire.

Steve C
(Login stevecowton)
Assistant Moderator

April 3 2017, 4:56 PM 

It might just be me but i think this is getting a bit cruel now....

(Login BrickyardBoy)

April 3 2017, 7:21 PM 

The number of County Championship Matches has been reduced by two to 14 for the 2017 season, on the grounds that the fixture schedule is congested; and yet there is still time available to devote to utterly meaningless games such as this university fixture. How it can be considered to be a First Class Fixture, with a disparity of this enormity is inexplicable.

(Login WhiteroseDave)

April 3 2017, 7:38 PM 

That appears to be the case elsewhere too, 5 out of 6 games very unbalanced in favour of the county side. The only exception being in a 400+/6 plays 400+/7 borefest at Northants (I hope we don't see too many of those this season!)

marsker
(Login marskeman)

April 3 2017, 7:52 PM 

It seems the headingley pitch is following last year's pattern, very difficult till after lunch on the first day, then it flattens out and batsmen thrive. Hope we are not going to get loads of bore draws.

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk