<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Monkwood
(Login Monkwood)

Friendly

April 4 2017, 9:48 AM 

Can't help thinking we missed a trick in this match ? having won the toss surely we should have batted first to programme ourselves to what will probably happen every home match this season , we will be put in, Surely we needed this experience ?

Martin
(Login Martinh00)

Re: FRIENDLY | Yorkshire vs Leeds/Bradford MCCU (Match thread))

April 4 2017, 11:36 AM 

In the main, I think we are getting as much out of this game as we can. Two decent bowls and a long bat. All of our front line batsmen have had a decent knock and our bowlers will get a good run out.

I take the point about playing this game when the number of CC games have been reduced, but had the season started early and our first county game had been washed out we would no doubt be moaning!

CricketWanderer
(Login CricketWanderer)

April 4 2017, 12:08 PM 

"there is still time available to devote to utterly meaningless games such as this university fixture..."

"Utterly meaningless" to you maybe, very meaningful indeed to the Leeds-Bradford lads.

Yorkieboy
(Login Yorkieboy)

What else it there to moan about?

April 4 2017, 4:00 PM 

A free match in decent weather, a massive win, good performances by all the regular first teamers and its moan, moan, moan!
One set of gates shut, one clock stopped, another clock wrong, rubbish opposition, should have declared earlier, etc., etc., etc.
This is an early season friendly to give professional teams match practice and encouragement to youngsters at universities who in several cases are looking to break into the pro game. Our blokes did as well as you could possibly want, a massive win, excellent individual performances, everyone of the top order got time in the middle - far more meaningful than netting, good bowling and an early victory.
I don't doubt for a moment that Gale and Moxon are delighted with the overall performance and the value of the match to preparation for the Championship - and they know what they are talking about.

Idle man
(Login Idle_man)

April 4 2017, 4:47 PM 

Thank you. I agree.

Twelfth Man
(Login twelthman)

April 4 2017, 5:06 PM 

As do I. I imagine they'll be delighted with the performance, big runs for the openers, valuable knock for the captain and wickets for all the bowlers. Imagine the furore on here if our key batsmen had got out cheaply

(Login dpressed)

April 4 2017, 5:44 PM 

I tried to post earlier, but failed. Basically we did well against a very poor team. You can only play the opposition who are on the field. I'm just happy we won without humiliating Leeds/Bradford. Just don't expect us to do as well next weekend .... something I'm 100% certain that Yorkshire will appreciate.

p.s. It could be 'a good thing' that Coad & Shaw played this weekend as it will help them feel 'good'.

p.p.s. I back the way we played this match. Yorks would have scored heavily whenever we batted.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

April 4 2017, 5:54 PM 

I agree with most of the positive postings on this fixture.

However I do think the talent in the University system seems to be spread a bit thinner since it expanded.

I would have suggested Div 1 teams play Div 2 teams pre-season but that won't work now there are 10 of them and only 8 of us.

I hope some of the students, maybe the splendidly named Sebastian Alexander Feszczur-Hatchett, draw on the experience and make the grade.

Good luck to them all whatever they end up doing.

Steve C
(Login stevecowton)
Assistant Moderator

Indeed

April 4 2017, 7:14 PM 

I was amused that any set of parents with a double barreled four-syllable surname should choose a further two christian names with three syllables each.
Perhaps it was some sort of competition they set themselves.

Sid
(Login sid-don)
Assistant Moderator

April 4 2017, 7:53 PM 

I had a little moan on my day 1 match report but all were NONE playing things. We've played well and
done everything I'd have wanted for the batters and bowlers.

My moans: The clock being an hour fast! How does this happen? leave it alone in Autumn and then again when the clocks change in Spring and how presto its showing the right time at the start of the season.

The Hutton gates: Why not let us know in the 'match informer' feature? On Sunday I saw an elderly chap struggling down North Lane towards the St Michaels entrance. A walk he may have avoided if he'd able to plan ahead.

The moth balled long room: Why cant it be properly open rather than partitioned in half?

Generally why not open up to the world? eg given JB was present on Sunday, why not invite the junior vikings down, do a signing/meet and greet with JB and possibly our other test players. The sort of pre-season event every pro football club does.

This message has been edited by sid-don on Apr 5, 2017 1:17 PM

Yorkieboy
(Login Yorkieboy)

April 5 2017, 1:19 PM 

"I was amused that any set of parents with a double barreled four-syllable surname should choose a further two christian names with three syllables each.
Perhaps it was some sort of competition they set themselves."

Steve C's command of the English language appears to be as unreliable as the Headingley clocks. The two forenames [are we sure he's a Christian?] of Mr. Sebastian Alexander Feszczur-Hatchett each consists of four syllables, not three. One speculates whether the gentleman's name would have drawn a comment from Mr. C had it been something like William Christopher Shackleton-Scargill and whether some deep rooted psychosis causes a secret shame about working class roots that manifests itself in ridiculing perceived "la-di-da" aspects in others.
Oh, and "double barreled" is actually spelt "double barrelled".
I bet that Sebastian Alexander Feszczur-Hatchett's parents read the Daily Telegraph too!

Lighten up, Yorkieboy. We don't do ad hominems and personal attacks on the WRF.

Alex (moderator)

This message has been edited by AlexRoberts on Apr 5, 2017 8:18 PM

CaravanShaker
(Login CaravanShaker)

April 5 2017, 5:20 PM 

Oh, how nice. The first gratuitous ad hominem of the season. Summer must be upon us.

Incidentally, although I'll give you Alexander, there aren't many people who'd pronounce Sebastian with 4 syllables.

Oh, and "barreled" is "actually" a perfectly acceptable spelling. As is "barrelled".

West Cork Yorkie
(Login WhiteShamrock)

He's been around for a while!

April 5 2017, 6:07 PM 

A cracking scorecard from days of yore!

Young master Sebastian Alexander Feszczur-Hatchett's 6 runs and 2 wickets enabled the Middlesex U 12 to beat the Worcester U 12s in a nail biter!

http://elvaston.play-cricket.com/website/results/278707

Tom
(Login whiterosetom)

April 5 2017, 6:32 PM 

Whatever happened to Unsure? Cracking young bowler by the looks of it.

Steve C
(Login stevecowton)
Assistant Moderator

Well

April 5 2017, 11:06 PM 

Its going to be a long humuorless season apparently...

Or possibly humour-less. Or Humorless..

Suddenly I'm doubting everything.

Yorkieboy
(Login Yorkieboy)

April 5 2017, 11:33 PM 

"Lighten up, Yorkieboy. We don't do ad hominems and personal attacks on the WRF.

Alex (moderator)"

WOT! Not even on Feszczur-Hatchett's parents?

PS As for Sebastian the correct pronunciation is Se-bast-i-an. Se-bas-chan would be acceptable in cockney areas, of course, as would such gems as, "I would of spelled double-barreled wiv too L's, only I couldnt of bin bovered, naa frow us the Guardyun."

Steve C
(Login stevecowton)
Assistant Moderator

April 6 2017, 6:42 AM 

I don't think anyone was attacking anyone....
It was only intended as a throwaway quip.
Have a nice day.

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk