<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

IPL 2017

April 5 2017 at 7:49 PM
Geoff B  (Login Coastalview)

Started today, Tymal Mills the only brit on show, he did o.k.

From a Yorkshire viewpoint Travis Head hit a few lusty blows, but they were both on a well beaten losing team.

I think I might like to go one year and watch a couple of games to sample the atmosphere. Has anybody been!

Find it a bit of a drag on TV, and like last year I'll record it and whip through the highlights in about 30 minutes.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
(Login ThirdUmpire)

Re: IPL 2017

April 14 2017, 3:07 PM 

Watched first bit of ipl today as it's preferable to Plymouth v Portsmouth.

Whole thing farcical with Buttler being asked to open the batting and out for a duck and Pollard just hitting straight sixes with a flick of the wrists.

I doubt buttler has opened much before and his strength is as a finisher not an opener as some of these franchise owners must have thought

This message has been edited by ThirdUmpire on Apr 14, 2017 4:47 PM

(Login ThirdUmpire)

April 14 2017, 4:31 PM 

And to top it all Bairstow is in the sky studio as a pundit talking about Stokes who is playing......

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

May 21 2017, 9:41 PM 

Finally ended today. Mumbai Indians won.

Not a whole lot of interest this year seemingly if this forum is any guide.

I wonder if it was the move the Sky last season that took it away from the public gaze.

(Login WhiteroseDave)

May 21 2017, 9:58 PM 

I've watched the odd bit of games, it's an odd tournament though. Each team has 3/4 very high class players playing with 6/7 very mediocre ones, you could pick out with a fair degree of certainty before each game who the match winners will be, the rest are there to make up the numbers meaning the overall standard (to my eyes anyway) seems lower than the competition we currently have and definitely not as high standard as the big bash.

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

May 21 2017, 10:12 PM 

Saw back end of the final. Poorly paced chase, how can you need 11 off the final over chasing 130 when only 3 down! Terrible use of resources.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

May 22 2017, 9:10 AM 

So the two finalists had an England player apiece but they had to miss it to come home for a game at headingley on Wednesday. About sums it all up. We want the players to go and get experience and money but when it comes to the final we get them back for a warm up game.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

Money for old rope

May 22 2017, 10:26 AM 

From Cricinfo (report on Sussex v Durham)

"...... Jordan was returning from seven weeks at the IPL, where he only faced one ball, and bowled six, in his entire stint for Sunrisers Hyderabad."

How much was he paid for that?!

Martin
(Login Martinh00)

May 23 2017, 9:16 AM 

Is England really of the view that Jordan has benefited more from languishing on the bench rather than playing domestic cricket?

I still don't get the fascination with IPL. Tedious to watch on TV. Some pretty mediocre cricket and frankly some of the scores and results do make you wonder sometimes if it owes it's pedigree to professional wrestling.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

May 23 2017, 9:37 AM 

I sort of got in the habit of watching the run chase after tea, rather than watching the news.

It is very much more theatre than cricket and like the theatre I sometimes wonder if someone has written the script.

Less influenced by overseas players this year I think.

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk