<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Championship | Yorkshire vs Hampshire at Headingley (Pre-match Thread)

April 5 2017 at 8:35 PM

WRF  (Premier Login AlexRoberts)
Owner

It looks like the Tykes will field an injury and England-depleted attack for our season County Championship opener - with several key players on the shelf or unavailable. Brooks is out for several more weeks, and Plunkett and Sids are day-today.

This message has been edited by AlexRoberts on Apr 5, 2017 8:38 PM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

Re: Championship | Yorkshire vs Hampshire at Headingley (Pre-match Thread)

April 5 2017, 10:35 PM 

David Hopps cricinfo season preview seems pretty positive, but as usual leaves plenty of room for things to go wrong.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/county-cricket-2017/content/story/1089674.html

This message has been edited by Coastalview on Apr 5, 2017 10:37 PM

(Login matthefish2002)

April 6 2017, 9:13 AM 

Think this match might be tough going with the line up we are likely to put out.
But I always feel its a good opportunity for one of the younger lads to put down a marker and put pressure on the senior pros.

Weather looks very pleasant for early April. Will be there Sunday with my pack up and flask. Always a good feeling knowing the cricket season is about to start.

(Login ExiledinNotts)

April 6 2017, 10:31 AM 

Looking forward to travelling up for the game tomorrow. It'll make a pleasant change weather wise by the looks of things.

Tom
(Login whiterosetom)

April 6 2017, 10:38 AM 

I'll be there too, Hants aren't the most challenging team in the championship so i'm quietly confident even with an injury struck side. I hope atleast a couple are back for the following week though.

Hopefully it won't be a repeat of last seasons match which, if memory serves, was also the first of the season. Bairstow and Plunkett put on a phemomenal display with the bat but on a flat pitch we couldn't finish the job.

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

April 6 2017, 11:53 AM 

This is our dilemma. We prepare a greentop for our pace attack and get put in to bat; and in any case our pace attack, minus Brooks and/or Sidebottom and Plunkett, is not quite what it was. Pitch preparation cannot have been easy during a wet March, and we also take the risk of a points deduction, which the ECB would apply with relish, no doubt about that.

So we go for a flat one and hope to get loads of batting points plus five for the draw. Hampshire also bat in depth, so I expect a re-run of 2016; bore draw.

I hope I'm wrong.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

April 6 2017, 12:27 PM 

It will be a tough match, not quite so tough if we have Siddy & Plunkett back (which I doubt).

They are a strong side especially bowling with Topley, Abbott, Edwards & Roussow (all full Internationals).

Their batting does not look to shabby either with Carberry, Adams, Smith, Vince, Ervine & Dawson.

Definately not a "gimee". It`s almost certain we will be batting first and will be a tricky first day against that attack.

(Login dikaiopolis)

April 6 2017, 2:26 PM 

The Official Site match info says:

"Gates open at 9:30 am each day. Entrance through St Michael’s Lane only." - I wonder if that's going to be the case for all CC matches? it will save them a bit of money, but won't be popular with people like me who park in the streets on the other side of Kirkstall Lane.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

April 6 2017, 2:33 PM 

Probably not been altered from the University match. At least I hope so,as it is unacceptable to only have 1/2 of the gates open for entry.

Most of the supporters park at the "Hutton Gates" side of the ground. So we now all have to arrive 20 mins earlier, park, and walk round. do we? What about the less able of us or parking for the disabled in the ground.

or

go through the Carnegie Pavilion as I did on all 3 days of the University match!!!

Some good news for us -- Topley is still injured.

Full Hampshire Squad:

Jimmy Adams (4)
Lewis McManus (18)
Sean Ervine (7)
Rilee Rossouw (30)
Liam Dawson (8)
Mason Crane (32)
Gareth Berg (13)
Brad Wheal (58)
James Vince (14) Captain
Fidel Edwards (82)
Michael Carberry (15)
Kyle Abbott (87)

This message has been edited by StuartRA on Apr 6, 2017 2:51 PM

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

April 6 2017, 4:22 PM 

No Plunkett, Brooks, Siddy, Willey or Fisher and not next week either according to the OS.

2 from Coad, Shaw, Rhodes and Wainman will make up the team.

Trouble is with the bowling lineup is that Patto is not as effective without our "strike" bowlers (and that is not an attack on Patto, but an observation). His strength is line and length and keeping it so tight, that the batsmen go after our more expensive bowlers, at the other end, and get themselves out. Hampshire can block and block him all day if necessary, knowing that there are runs a plenty to be had at the other end, and Patto can not bowl all day.

Would gladly settle for two 13 points draw from Hampshire and Warwickshire. Can not expect any more with 4 or 5 of our top 11 missing for both games. Could be without Brooks, Siddy and Plunkett for Hampshire away as well.

This message has been edited by StuartRA on Apr 6, 2017 6:37 PM

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

April 6 2017, 4:44 PM 

I fancy us against anyone in a shootout on a result pitch. However, I think this may be a flattish pitch in lovely weather so it'll probably be a draw. I then fully expect a win at Edgbaston.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

April 6 2017, 4:52 PM 

I would also fancy us against any one in a shoot-out on a result pitch, but not with the team we will be fielding tomorrow (5 of our best 6 players missing).

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

April 6 2017, 5:00 PM 

We're used to absences, and Hampshire were a very poor side last year. They may improve this year but I think they'll still be in the wrong half of the table.

Young Clogger
(Login YoungClogger)

April 6 2017, 5:33 PM 

The "Entrance through St. Michael's Lane entrance only" comment has now been removed from the club match day page.

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

April 6 2017, 6:04 PM 

I sort of agree with Stu about Patto being less effective without the strike bowlers in the team, but I dispute it as a 'fact' because last season, when he shared the bowling with Bresnan, Coad, Shaw and Leaning up at Durham, he achieved a career best, 6 for 56!

I'm sure that down the years Patto's figures have suffered, comparatively, because when the conditions are really bowler-friendly, Sid and Jack mop up and he doesn't even get on. No complaints from him, I imagine, because his role in the team is a different one.

On paper, at least, Hampshire's attack has a lot more fire-power than ours.

I think everyone will be pleased to see Michael Carberry's name on the teamsheet. He suffered a blood clot on the lung back in 2010, which was more than just career threatening. He fought back to get onto the England team, where he was treated disgracefully, following the Ashes defeat in 2013/14. Then, last season, he fell ill with a cancerous tumour, from which he appears to have recovered. He remains the only player ever to have scored a County Championship triple century against Yorkshire...and that's another story!

Personally, I'm sad that there's no place on the Hampshire team for Asher Hart, a 20-year-old who has joined them from Durham, and who took 4 cheap wickets against Cardiff MCCU.

His full name: Asher Hale-Bopp Joseph Arthur Hart. Surely the only county cricketer to be named after a comet. Hale and Bopp discovered their comet (independently) in 1995, and it was a spectacular feature of our night skies in the spring of 1997, at the time of Hart's birth.

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

April 6 2017, 6:08 PM 

The perfect outcome would be a Carberry hundred but a Yorkshire win.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

April 6 2017, 6:38 PM 

DM, I have edited my original statement re "fact".

Baildonian
(Login Baildonian)

April 6 2017, 8:17 PM 

Just a reminder there is industrial action (should it be inaction?) on Northern Rail on Saturday. Those travelling by train should check the revised timetables that have been published.

JG
(Login _JG_)

April 7 2017, 4:40 PM 

Roussouw is a middle-order batsman Stu, part of the 'swarm' of Kolpak arriving at this winter (using a suitably Brexit voter friendly mass noun there considering it is Brexit which is a significant cause of this phenomenon...)

I really hope we beat Hampshire, they don't deserve to be in Div One and I hope that is proven by results this season.

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk