<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Tom
(Login whiterosetom)

Re: CHAMPIONSHIP | Yorkshire vs Hampshire (Day 1)

April 7 2017, 1:06 PM 

Not a terrible morning. Every batsmen managing to get himself in but noone progressing onto a decent score yet. Considering that the weather is forecast to be better over the next few days, and the length of our tail, the next couple of partnerships are going to vital.

Joe
(Login Backward_Point)

April 7 2017, 1:13 PM 

That tail does look ugly.

Alibor
(Login Alibor2)

April 7 2017, 1:31 PM 

Including both Coad and Shaw was surprise and Rhodes must be wondering about what he needs to do to be selected with so many of our best team not being available. We have done pretty well on first cloudy morning of the season, but the next session is going to give us better idea about the strength and depth of our batting after losing both openers. Forecast better for weekend.

This message has been edited by Alibor2 on Apr 7, 2017 1:42 PM

Egham Tyke
(Login Egham)

April 7 2017, 1:37 PM 

Happy enough with the start on the first day but tougher tests will come

Martin
(Login Martinh00)

April 7 2017, 1:57 PM 

Two down at lunch after being inserted is surely a good outcome in any event. Even more so in the first game of the season. Agree that we probably need an above par innings to counteract the improving weather and a weakened attack. That said I'm not sure our bowling line up compares too badly with Hampshire from what I've seen this morning.

Tom
(Login whiterosetom)

April 7 2017, 2:05 PM 

Right now Fidel Edwards and Gareth Berg are bowling. Both have played 99 first class matches and each have an average of exactly 31.73 (including this one). The neatness of the stats pleases me.

This message has been edited by whiterosetom on Apr 7, 2017 2:06 PM

Alibor
(Login Alibor2)

April 7 2017, 2:11 PM 

But not the outcome Tom, our overseas player has been bowled by Edwards. Wonder if there is movement or was it played on? And then Leaning, we need big one from Bresnan. Oh no, bowled for duck by Edwards again - send him back to the Caribbean!

This message has been edited by Alibor2 on Apr 7, 2017 2:24 PM

EC Type
(Login EastCoastType)

April 7 2017, 2:13 PM 

Didn't know that Jonny is at the Masters (shakes head while smiling ruefully). Don't even feel angry about him not being allowed to play this time - ECB has reduced me to apathy. I live in hope that one day I will wake up and find the ECB is run by people who love the game.

Big season for Leaning. Done very little since June 2015. Can't carry him for another season. In fact, looking at the squad, every player has a lot to prove this season with the exception of Bres and Patto.

Good luck to all.

WS55
(Login WibseySimon55)

April 7 2017, 2:24 PM 

Suddenly we're five down. Grim.

Egham Tyke
(Login Egham)

April 7 2017, 2:24 PM 

Deep in the doo doo at the moment. Need someone to hang in there with GB

Lew
(Login Lewis_116)

April 7 2017, 2:30 PM 

I cannot stress this enough. Bresnan/Hodd/Rafiq is not a strong enouh 6/7/8.

I appreciate its not our strongest choice but we need to do something about it.

WS55
(Login WibseySimon55)

April 7 2017, 2:35 PM 

Two down at lunch, and looks like we'll be all out by tea. 200 will be a good score from here.

Tom
(Login whiterosetom)

April 7 2017, 2:38 PM 

Not feeling very optimistic right now. Either we get bowled out before tea for less than 200 or we somehow see most of the day out and put a fresh Hants in to bat tomorrow in glorious sunshine.

Alibor
(Login Alibor2)

April 7 2017, 2:51 PM 

Our tail is too long after Bresnan, especially having excluded Rhodes - never have rated Hodd as much of a batsman. The irony is that if Ballance starts the season in good form, we could lose him as well.

This message has been edited by Alibor2 on Apr 7, 2017 2:58 PM

Lew
(Login Lewis_116)

April 7 2017, 3:07 PM 

This is the problem Alibor...Agreed Hodd bas had a few decent knocks but he should not bat higher than 7 or 8. This day and age you need a keeper who bats in the top 6.

We can no longer say he is a good back up for Bairstow as we never see him.

I don't know the solution...Do we look for an overseas keeper/batsman, look for someone in the County game (Davies when he was available) or homegrown.

EC Type
(Login EastCoastType)

April 7 2017, 3:08 PM 

Other than the Bresnan duck, the innings has gone as you might expect, given the past season and a half's form. The openers get themselves in and get themselves out, the overseas batsman is feeling his way having just arrived, Ballance shows great determination as captain, Leaning fails, Hodd fails.

Considerably stronger batting line-ups have been relegated over the years. Frequently. Club still in denial about quality of batting, IMO. Again, not enough done in the winter.

Alibor
(Login Alibor2)

April 7 2017, 3:28 PM 

The Moxon - Gale combination does not inspire me with much confidence about strategical thinking and I think we will miss Jason Gillespie very much in avoidance of tunnel vision off and on the field. We could all see the problem of our lack of batting depth but nothing has been done to strengthen it and instead of proven class of a Kane Williamson we have untried overseas player - but I wish him well. Hodd is not a good enough stand in for Johnny Bairstow, either as keeper or batsman. Bairstow should be playing.

Alex
(Premier Login AlexRoberts)
Owner

April 7 2017, 3:43 PM 

As a more old-fashioned sort of Yorkshire cricket fan, it certainly rankles me that a well-rested Jonny Bairstow is off watching the Masters while his Home County struggles along with significant injuries and the loss of several YORKSHIRE players due to boardroom decisions by the ECB. Perhaps I'm not angry at Mr. Bairstow per se but rather at the cynical credonts who run the ECB these days who appear to have left the County Championship for dead, turning this wonderful, compelling competition into a lottery based on who they make available, and who they don't.

And what's up with Adil Rashid? Why is he not in the side? If I'm not mistaken it was Rashid who made himself unavailable for the vital championship decider against Middlesex in 2016. Is he injured?

Joe
(Login Backward_Point)

April 7 2017, 4:04 PM 

The England call ups do highlight the fact that the county championship is very much a second tier event, sadly. That's partly what happens when you play games largely during the day and on weekdays. Sure, there is the odd weekend overlap but you're going uphill trying to convince the world it's a prime event. As long as England keep winning it won't be given a second thought by the ECB.

Which is why I have no moral objection to using Kolpaks and overseas players. Because when you do produce a gem like Root and Bairstow for England it's taken off you.

I'm always amused by the county coaches saying how pleased they are that such and such has been called up by England, when deep down they must know such a call up may lead to them getting fired if their team starts losing.

Egham Tyke
(Login Egham)

April 7 2017, 4:04 PM 

Well done GB, great start to the season (and sorry in advance if this post jinxes you)

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk