<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Alibor
(Login Alibor2)

Re: CHAMPIONSHIP | Yorkshire vs Hampshire (Day 1)

April 7 2017, 4:07 PM 

To be fair, was our collapse in the early afternoon due to conditions, exceptional bowling or poor batting? Pattos come in and helped the captain steady the ship and put on 80 - and well done to Gary in reaching a century and scoring so freely after his struggles last season.

Tom
(Login whiterosetom)

April 7 2017, 4:08 PM 

Once again, after a collapse someone ALWAYS steps up for Yorkshire. Patterson managing to stay with Ballance this long has atleast made this innings look respectable again.

NLOP

This message has been edited by whiterosetom on Apr 7, 2017 4:08 PM

Ws55
(Login WibseySimon55)

April 7 2017, 4:25 PM 

Well, that was better. GB has looked all day as if he's forgotten he was ever out of form. Early afternoon Hants bowling was good. Abbott's outswingwers were lethal (Rafiq got an unplayable peach), even with a 40-over old ball and there was bounce and variability. Patto at his determined, occasionally lucky,occasionally stylish, best. He and Ballance had dug us out of the worst of the hole when God decided it was time for the sun to come out. The last fifteen minutes before tea were a joy to behold. The classy cut and cover drive from successive balls that brought his century were moments of perfection. Couldn't have asked better for a new captain in his first innings. We are not out of the woods yet though.

Steve C
(Login stevecowton)
Assistant Moderator

April 7 2017, 4:29 PM 

We're not out of the woods but we are at least competitive.
I can see the end of the beginning of a bit of clearance in the copse....

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

April 7 2017, 4:31 PM 

Great first knock as skipper, massively encouraging.

JG
(Login _JG_)

April 7 2017, 4:32 PM 

Having only been following Yorkshire cricket from afar during the winter, I must say like others I am most bemused/disappointed that we are unable to field almost all of our first choice seam attack for our first competitive fixture in 7 months due to them being injured and/or not match fit. How can that possibly be the case? Do we know which players are injured and which are not match fit? In the latter case, how is that so? Hants at home is the kind of fixture that aspiring Champions need to win, we are already handcapped by the unavailability of Root, Bairstow and Rashid and the toss rule (which has far more of an impact in April than July I would suggest), these further blows seem rather self-inflicted however.

Anyway, good recovery courtesy of Ballance and the redoubtable Patto after a dicey period after lunch. Blue skies in Leeds now, conditions as good for batting as they have been all day. I think I'd be quite happy if we can get to 300- although not as happy as if we had Brooks and Siddy running in with the new ball to defend that...

Alibor
(Login Alibor2)

April 7 2017, 4:44 PM 

We of little faith! Who would have predicted century 8th wicket partnership when we lost 5 wickets in 15 overs after lunch! Alas the captains gone - bowled by Dawson - ugh.

This message has been edited by Alibor2 on Apr 7, 2017 4:58 PM

Egham Tyke
(Login Egham)

April 7 2017, 4:57 PM 

Oh Alibor, what have you done happy.gif

Alibor
(Login Alibor2)

April 7 2017, 5:11 PM 

Got my head in my hands 😔 Still, our score is looking more respectable but improving weather is now main concern.

Steve C
(Login stevecowton)
Assistant Moderator

April 7 2017, 5:48 PM 

Yeah - it's looking like an unbroken century opening stan,.....................

Come on you Tykes!

Alibor
(Login Alibor2)

April 7 2017, 5:57 PM 

Great start by young Coad but let's have Patto instead of Bresnan - we need Carberry tonight. Coad again!!

This message has been edited by Alibor2 on Apr 7, 2017 6:11 PM

JG
(Login _JG_)

April 7 2017, 6:00 PM 

Coad definitely justifying his selection! Bresnan on the other hand not quite living up to his exacting 2016 standards thus far...

This message has been edited by _JG_ on Apr 7, 2017 6:39 PM

Mart
(Login Wharfester)

So many questions...

April 7 2017, 6:20 PM 

Enforce the follow on?
Coad for England?

Life just got sunny & interesting again!

W55
(Login WibseySimon55)

April 7 2017, 6:21 PM 

Young Coad coverImg himself in glory. Not only 4 top order scalps but an economy rate more than twice as good as Patto!

Tom
(Login whiterosetom)

April 7 2017, 6:25 PM 

Morse Coad

Dot Dot Wicket Dot Dot Wicket

That's as witty a quip as I've read on this forum. A great turn of phrase. - Alex

This message has been edited by AlexRoberts on Apr 8, 2017 1:02 AM

Alibor
(Login Alibor2)

April 7 2017, 6:37 PM 

Sensational nap performance by young Coad - must go down as one of the best ever spells by uncapped seamer for the County?

Idle man
(Login Idle_man)

April 7 2017, 6:40 PM 

Do think we need to invest in the bowling.

JG
(Login _JG_)

April 7 2017, 6:41 PM 

5-for in a spell- great effort!

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

April 7 2017, 6:51 PM 

That is just brilliant.Five top order scalps, most of them international players.

Ian
(Login Royalnavy)

April 7 2017, 7:27 PM 

But our wise sages were telling us we had no bowling happy.gif

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk