<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

CHAMPIONSHIP | Yorkshire vs Hampshire (Day 1)

April 7 2017 at 1:53 AM

WRF  (Premier Login AlexRoberts)
Owner

Apr 7-10, 2017 - at Headingley, Leeds

Yorkshire will start the Championship season fielding one of their more depleted lineups in recent years with first teamers Jack Brooks, Ryan Sidebottom, Liam Plunkett and David Willey on the injury list or not match fit; and Adil Rashid, Joe Root and Jonny Bairstow unavailable. Australian batsman Peter Handscomb is set to make his debut for the county.

YORKSHIRE from: Gary Ballance (Capt), Tim Bresnan, Ben Coad, Peter Handscomb, Andrew Hodd (Wkt), Jack Leaning, Alex Lees, Adam Lyth, Steven Patterson, Azeem Rafiq, Will Rhodes, Josh Shaw, James Wainman.
Hampshire from: TBA

Scorecard
Headingley weather

STAT: If Yorkshire win this match it will be their 1,200th County Championship win since the official Championship was established in 1890.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Lew
(Login Lewis_116)

Re: CHAMPIONSHIP | Yorkshire vs Hampshire (Day 1)

April 7 2017, 7:13 AM 

Very frustrating to see Plunkett out.

Lyth
Lees
Handscomb
Ballance C
Leaning
Rhodes
Bresnan
Hodd WK
Rafiq
Patterson
Coad

That would be my 11. Not sure Shaw has done enough to start and in early April conditions I trust Rhodes as the fourth seamer.

I also feel the "investment" shown in Leaning and Rhodes during tough times last year may well come to fruition this year. Both are talented young lads finding their way.

Loiner
(Login TheLoiner)

April 7 2017, 8:07 AM 

I'd go with that team

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

April 7 2017, 8:20 AM 

Me, too, though I would bat Brezzy higher. I might just consider Wainman, for variety, and to provide some 4th innings rough.

Steve C
(Login stevecowton)
Assistant Moderator

April 7 2017, 8:24 AM 

I'd also go with that team- it'll be interesting to see how Handscomb goes - presumably his last cricket was in India which is hardly ideal preparation for Leeds in April.
You have to ask questions about our pre-season preparations that leave us short of five of our best seam bowlers for the first game of the season. Is it my imagination or does this happen every year? We have to find a better way of preparing players that doesn't leave them injured before we even start.

I cant be there today - the wheels of the creative industries keep turning - but i hope everyone has a fantastic day and our team plays well. Big day for Galey and Gary - i'd like to wish them all the best..

(Does Ballance have a nickname..? Its about time he did...)

This message has been edited by stevecowton on Apr 7, 2017 8:26 AM

(Login dpressed)

April 7 2017, 8:31 AM 

I'd keep Shaw in the team as he's a bowler. Rhodes is a batsman who can bowl

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

April 7 2017, 8:56 AM 

The Rhodes/Shaw dilemma is tricky. Both ended up on loan in division two last year, where Shaw bowled a lot of overs for Gloucestershire. I think I'd go with Shaw, just.

Alibor
(Login Alibor2)

April 7 2017, 9:12 AM 

Whilst it is understandable that Joe Root should be rested, it seems completely wrong that Bairstow and Rashid are not allowed to play today when other Englsnd players are active in IPL. Neither Bairstow nor Rashid have been playing recently and both are better players when in form. Whilst Rafiq will cover the one spinner early season requirement, Bairstow's absence is bigger blow. Our depleted seam attack for today's game is bit worrying but as others say, it will provide some fringe players with opportunities. Good luck to the team and supporters - hope the conditions are not too wintry. It is nice morning here in the East of Scotland 😀

Steve C
(Login stevecowton)
Assistant Moderator

April 7 2017, 10:21 AM 

And the idea of Jonny being "rested" is a bit weird when you realise he's flown to America to watch the Masters...
I'm sure hes having a great time - and good luck to him - but its not exactly putting your feet up at home is it..?

(Login ExiledinNotts)

April 7 2017, 10:24 AM 

Currently on the train, Leeds bound the weather isn't as good as was forecast

Tom
(Login whiterosetom)

April 7 2017, 10:29 AM 

Looking like tomorrow could be the best batting day. I have the feeling we're going to be put straight in again.

(Login hank_moody)

April 7 2017, 11:01 AM 

Bowling looking weak, could be our undoing this year. Failure to invest could IMO lead to a struggle in the Champo. Hope I'm wrong...

Idle Man
(Login Idle_man)

April 7 2017, 11:14 AM 

Invest in what for God's sake? We have Siddy, Brooks, TB, Patto, Plunkett, and Willey. Then there's Fisher, one of the best prospects around if he can stay fit, Shaw who did ok at Gloucs last year, and others. We have a spin issue, but there's no one to sign out there, and I can't imagine any seamer joining us to compete for places with the above.

We've just got a temporary injury crisis. We'll come out of it.

(Login hank_moody)

April 7 2017, 11:17 AM 

Er, the bowling attack.

inevitable injuries to a creaking bunch. When England take Raschid and Willey, we're short. Injuries to first teamer have left us bereft of options.

Joe
(Login Backward_Point)

April 7 2017, 11:50 AM 

Happy first day of the season everyone. Like a loyal dog, it's good to have the cricket back as our trusty companion once again.

Bold move by Gary/Gale to park Rhodes and go with Coad and Shaw, especially as we've been stuck in. If we're still batting tonight then we should hopefully have the upper hand.

Staggering that we have one of the best pace attacks in the country and yet they START the season injured. I dread to think what might happen once the games start coming thick and fast.

Alibor
(Login Alibor2)

April 7 2017, 12:02 PM 

Well we do have Sidebottom, Brooks, Bresnan, Patterson, Pliunkett, Willey, Fisher, Coad, Shaw and even Rhodes on our books who bowl seam so surely we will have 4 of them at least fit for most matches? I am more concerned with the batting without Root and Bairstow but hopefully our overseas player will be available for most of e season and Leaning will fulfill potential in top order. Great to be underway again 😀

hank_moody
(Login hank_moody)

April 7 2017, 12:08 PM 

Agree on the batting. Looks light too. Fingers crossed. Sun's out and cricket is back. Happy days...

Martin
(Login Martinh00)

April 7 2017, 12:12 PM 

Wish the sun was out! Freezing here!

Joe
(Login Backward_Point)

April 7 2017, 12:22 PM 

I try not to get too worked up by England call ups, not much we can do about that. Maybe it's the same with injuries but I feel that is more within the club's control. As someone said earlier, it seems most seasons we start with at least or one or two of our quicks out with injury.

Anyway, today is about the batting. 2 down. Time to dig in.

Tom
(Login whiterosetom)

April 7 2017, 1:06 PM 

Not a terrible morning. Every batsmen managing to get himself in but noone progressing onto a decent score yet. Considering that the weather is forecast to be better over the next few days, and the length of our tail, the next couple of partnerships are going to vital.

< Previous Page 1 2 3 4 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk