<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
WS55
(Login WibseySimon55)

Re: CHAMPIONSHIP | Yorkshire vs Hampshire (Day 2)

April 8 2017, 6:02 PM 

Abbott on a hat trick. Going to be really fired up.

Alibor
(Login Alibor2)

April 8 2017, 6:05 PM 

Agree about Hodd, great to see him make significant contribution but it looks like we will not have many more than 320 lead so we could have nail biting day tomorrow.

Jay
(Login overman8)

April 8 2017, 6:07 PM 

Greetings all, I agree regarding our batting frailties not being fully addressed, Stoneman would have been an ideal signing. It's all academic now, hopefully Handscomb will prove his worth. 300 plus puts us in a very strong position especially on the current track.

Martin
(Login Martinh00)

April 8 2017, 6:11 PM 

I've always felt that Hodd's form and worth is a self fulfilling prophecy. In our strongest side he bats below Bresnan and Rashid and bats accordingly. When he gets the opportunity to bat at 7 he has the scope to play a proper innings. Bresnan's form last season suggests to me that he is a capable number six.

Stoneman would still have left us with Bresnan at six in this game. He would have been a swap with Leaning.

This message has been edited by Martinh00 on Apr 8, 2017 6:13 PM

Lew
(Login Lewis_116)

April 8 2017, 7:42 PM 

I agree based on last years performance Bres could bat at 6 but I see no logic in it.

He is highly effective at 7/8, has never batted 6 (regularly) in his career and has bowling responsibilities.

Makes sense to me to play him 7, similar to where I considered Flintoff most effective.

I personally think we are a batsman lite. Handscomb being the overseas player could fill this "number 3" issue. Could he also fill the batsman/top 6 requirement I personally think we need the right balance?

I agree with others, we really missed out on Stoneman or my preferred option, Steven Davies.

Credit to Hodd. I stick with what I have always said, he is a very good back up keeper/batsman and proved it today.

The problem is the Bairstow goal posts have now changed so much, we cannot consider him our property...

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

April 8 2017, 7:49 PM 

I was hoping for 350 but hopefully we have enough. Time will tell.

Looking forward to a good day tomorrow with a bit of sun and hoping to see an umpires finger raised for the 10 time just after tea.

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

April 8 2017, 8:01 PM 

Another absolutely enthralling day. I was hoping for something a bit more one-sided, but Hampshire insisted on playing good cricket.

WE disposed of the remainder of their first innings quite clinically, with Bresnan much better today. McManus and Wheal held us up with a gutsy partnership that saved the follow-on, which was probably irrelevant, though the runs added might well prove significant in themselves.

Lyth looked in supreme form when we batted, Lees rather scratchy. Typically, it was the one playing well who got out; how often does that happen? Handscomb edged one for four, then edged one straight to slip. It has been that sort of pitch, hard to get started. When Lees was out, Ballance and Leaning needed a partnership to keep our momentum going.

Ballance looked in great form from the first, Leaning struggled to score, but they took us safely through to tea. Leaning fell to a searing yorker immediately on resumption. Bresnan was denied getting off the mark by some good fielding, then hooked one to Dawson to complete his pair. The shot that gets you hundreds of runs can also get you out. Abbott ws bowling like the Test player he is. Head and shoulders above all else in this match, even the deserving Ben Coad.

Hodd came in to bat like nobody else has on this pitch. Six fours, a six, and a single made up his first 31. His timing was exquisite from the start, a beautiful batsman to watch. Ballance, at the other end, maturely gave him his head without trying to compete but, in the end, perhaps chased one a bit too wide.

Rafiq was out to a fantastic slip catch by Ervine, even better than Vince's yesterday, and the innings fell away, with a couple of balls keeping low.

320 to win, and I have us perhaps 65 to 35 on, but with the sun shining and a very experienced batting line-up, just one partnership could turn that round. They have 4 left-handers in their top six or seven, and we may need Rafiq to step up if it doesn't work for our seamers.

Sunday is squeaky bum day.

(Login dpressed)

April 8 2017, 9:42 PM 

Even with an inexperienced attack I'd expect us to bowl Hants out for under 300 on this pitch 9 times out of 10. We just have to take all our chances.

As has been said what matters is not letting a partnership develop as once they get established it's far harder to take a wicket.

The back end collapse today was disappointing, although I'd give Rafiq a let out that the catch that got him out was brilliant. It was a shame that Hodd was left 'high & dry' as he looked a different class to the rest of of our 'lower order'

You also have to give Tim Bresnan a big hand for the following tweet

They say your not a proper batter till you have bagged a pair of these ⬇️Sorry if I'm captain of your fantasy team. I'll make it upto you. 😂https://t.co/feqMcVBWX4

This message has been edited by dpressed on Apr 8, 2017 9:45 PM

Irwingrimshaw
(Login irwingrimshaw)

Excellent sessions

April 8 2017, 10:56 PM 

I arrived at lunch time and greatly enjoyed the last two sessions. Good competitive cricket as Dave Morton says. Lyth looked in terrific nick but sadly fell before he could make a big impression on the scoreboard. Ballance accumulated sensibly but then made. a rare misjudgement trying to attack. Hodd was terrific. Handscombe's early departure was very disappointing.

I am wary about tomorrow. We have a relatively makeshift attack and their batting has experience. I fear we may be undone by our many absences. Hope I am wrong.

Steve C
(Login stevecowton)
Assistant Moderator

April 8 2017, 11:01 PM 

beautiful day today - we ll win after tea tomorrow...

(Login dpressed)

April 8 2017, 11:35 PM 

Unusually for me, I agree with Steve C (by which I mean I'm normally far more negative, not that I normally disagree with Steve C)

This message has been edited by dpressed on Apr 8, 2017 11:36 PM

JG
(Login _JG_)

April 9 2017, 12:21 AM 

The bookies have us 3/1 on; I'd be very disappointed if we let a side who aren't even in this division on merit score the highest score of the match in the fourth innings to win the game.

Re: the batting; surely it's stronger than last year if we have a functioning Ballance plus Handscombe at 3? And didn't Bres bat 6 for a lot of last season too? He was as high as 5 for the Middx game.

This message has been edited by _JG_ on Apr 9, 2017 12:22 AM

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk