<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
(Login BrickyardBoy)

Re: CHAMPIONSHIP | Yorkshire vs Hampshire (Day 3)

April 9 2017, 9:19 PM 

Saw every ball of this match. What is my assessment?

When everything else is stripped away, despite having by far the weaker bowling resources, it was the batting which did not perform sufficiently well. To be bowled out for 187 in the second innings was a massive under-performance and it cost the match.

So why did it happen?

1. By their own standards, both Lyth and Lees failed. Perhaps, contrary to some views, it would be better to accept a good innings from each, than keep banging on about first wicket partnerships.

2. The overseas player contributed nothing, batting at number 3. He needs time to acclimatise. Unfortunately, it is now 5 weeks before he will bat again in a CC fixture at Headingley.

3. Both Leening and Bresnan failed completely with the bat. It is not that Bresnan is not good enough to bet at 6, but rather that if he does so it means that Hodd (who actually batted very well), is the only batting left to come. In other words, the batting is under-powered. Rafiq, Patterson. Shaw and Coad add up, at present, to an exceptionally weak lower-order.

So then, after that, everything has to go your way and today the cricketing gods were with Hampshire. So catches and potential catches do not stick and the downward spiral continues.

I felt that, given the cards that he was dealt, Ballance made a good fist of it and did well to make as good a job of it as he did.

WS55
(Login WibseySimon55)

April 9 2017, 11:22 PM 

Very glum at the moment. All the strategic points about the under-performing batting and the much-depleted bowling are right, but catches win matches. Vince and Ervine's spectaculars yesterday, versus Lyth and Handscomb drops today = minus 20 or so runs for us, plus 40 or more runs for them = likely different result.

I can see why we tried both Shaw and Coad. Shaw performed better and looked the stronger of the two at Durham last year, but by all accounts Coad's progress over the winter has impressed -- as he demonstrated. You have to motivate them both for the future, so pick 'em both together again, then start to rotate according to form and opportunity. Obviously in hindsight Rhodes for Shaw would have looked more sensible -- but that's hindsight isn't it?

Idle man
(Login Idle_man)

April 10 2017, 7:54 AM 

From someone who couldn't be there, many thanks to all posters. I've learned a lot about the game, and everyone seems pretty realistic about the issues, rather than posting that we should have signed players who aren't available or don't want to come to us, with money we don't have.

The bowling will get stronger, the batting......

Alibor
(Login Alibor2)

April 10 2017, 8:54 AM 

If Siddy is not yet ready, then the inclusion of David Willey would be very useful with his left arm swing bowling and his batting in the lower order.

(Login matthefish2002)

April 10 2017, 9:07 AM 

Was there yesterday. The weather great, the match nicely poised but in the end a bit of a frustrating day.
Cracking game of cricket with a few ups and downs.
The early drop by Lyth set the tone a bit, if he caught that and really should have who knows.
Overall though glad the cricket season is up and running.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

April 10 2017, 9:22 AM 

I enjoyed my day in the early season sunshine at Headingley. I did hope we might win, but after the first session I didn't really believe that we would.

I only saw one session of Yorkshire batting on the first day and it's pretty obvious that the batting was culpable and another 100 runs in the 2nd innings would almost certainly have swamped Hants.

But it's a team game that is so often tipped over the edge by individual players.

Kyle Abbot's 7 for 41 followed by a decent team batting effort in the 2nd innings got them over the line.

Might take a trip to Southampton soon hopefully to see a better balanced Yorkshire team get the points back.

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

April 10 2017, 9:41 AM 

It's hugely disappointing to have lost, especially after playing so much good cricket. In the end, Kyle Abbott was the difference. The dropped catch by Lyth, one which he would have caught 100 out of 100 (this was the 101st), cost us dearly, but these things happen, even to the best of the best, which Lyth is.

The positives would include Ballance's batting, and Hodd's too, and above all Coad's bowling. He scarcely bowled a short ball, just a handful of half-volleys. Ironically, he got Carberry's wicket with a long-hop loosener.

Bresnan bowled a bit of tripe amongst the good stuff, but he and Coad kept going when the going was at its toughest. Patto was just off his best, but also unlucky to beat the bat so many times. Coad looks a yard quicker. Shaw ran in hard and bowled quite quickly; there's certainly something to develop from here.

Bresnan's catch, Dawson c & b, was as good as anything else in the match. Patterson also caught a good one on the boundary, and Coad's c & b was no gimme, either. Yorkshire showed a lot of guts on day 3.

Two aspects of Ballance's captaincy disappointed me. One: that we must have leaked 40 or 50 runs to third man, and the ball wasn't carrying to the slips, as it had for the quicker Hampshire bowlers. And secondly, that he seemed reluctant to trust Rafiq, who had been selected as the team's spin bowler. He seemed to drop on a length quite quickly, troubled the batsmen (albeit with non-turn) more than some of the quicker men, but one short ball, one four, and he was off. Even though he had just got a wicket.

I can't not mention Hampshire, whose five Englishmen all batted well in the run chase. As did Rilee Rossouw.

I got home just as Rose and Garcia were on the first tee, and I remained, glued, in my armchair until the green jacket was presented 5 hours later; not even a pee, nor a coffee! Hence the lateness of this posting.

Fabulous sport, to continue a day of unbearable excitement. Today I'm off to Old Trafford to see the Roses friendly between the 2nd XIs. My photos can wait a bit longer...

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

April 10 2017, 9:53 AM 

A disappointing result but not un-surprising considering the team we had oiut..

It was always going to be a tough ask, with 5 of our best X1 missing. Could be pretty similar outcomes for the next two matches as well. You don`t, and will not beat teams with two bowlers, which effectively we had. We need some bodies back playing!! Could be Bresnan is missing as well, as he did not not look good towards the end of the match.

The two dropped catches early doors did not help but our batting Saturday evening lost us the match, we lost our last 7 wickets in 25 overs. We should have been still batting at stumps on Saturday with a lead of 340 with more to come. With a great deal of hindsight, even as little as 20 or 30 more runs in each innings from Rhodes (who should have played instead of Shaw), would have tipped the balance in our favour.

The bowling will get much better when we get some injured players back, but not convinced that the batting will (apart from the two matches Root & Bairstow will play for us).

This message has been edited by StuartRA on Apr 10, 2017 10:03 AM

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

April 10 2017, 10:21 AM 

Our batting's fine, Stu. We were done by one of the very few world class bowlers we're liable to meet, and our own two world class batsmen were denied us.

I would expect every one of our top four to score 1000 runs at 40+, and Bresnan will surely be his usual self. Even Bradman got a duck, occasionally.

There is no doubt that Rashid, Plunkett, Brooks, Sidebottom and even Willey would be an improvement AS BATSMEN on the players who replaced them, and Patto was one too high at 8. I don't know what we could have done about that.

Bear
(Login Bear4)

April 10 2017, 10:52 AM 

We need to welcome Plunkett back for the next game for bowling, batting and, not least, fielding.

The two early drops were, of course, disasterous, but yesterday the fielding in general left something to be desired, witness the number of "despairing" dives as the ball sped to the boundary. I'm afraid that, as professional athletes, half of this team would be rated as "plodders".

Has Alex Lees hurt a finger or something? If not, the attempt to turn him from first slip (pretty good) to cover point (not so good) seems to me misguided

(Login matthefish2002)

April 10 2017, 11:04 AM 

Have to agree that the fielding I saw yesterday is an area that we can improve on.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

April 10 2017, 11:07 AM 

Our last defeat at Headingley before Somerset last September was in 2013 v Sussex in the first match of that season.

So almost 4 seasons with no defeats at HQ, and now two in a row!!

The last time someone chased over 300 at Headingley to win batting last was also Hampshire in 2006 when they got 404-5.

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

April 10 2017, 11:10 AM 

There's always a problem with tall fast bowlers, whose build does not necessarily lend itself to agile fielding. Plunkett is a brilliant exception. Lees is similar in build to Patto and the others, but he does have a great arm. The new slimline Rafiq looked better in the covers than last season. Like Lees, Leaning is not necessarily a great mover, though he is good close to the bat, as he showed.

Ballance is an improvement on Gale at mid-off; he got one bad bounce for a misfield. There were some great stops on the leg side by Bresnan especially. This is a workmanlike fielding unit, rather than a brilliant one.

It always annoys me when people claim that fielding is much better than years ago. Sharpe and Close, (Vic) Wilson and Trueman, Padgett and Taylor and the youthful Illingworth would have fielded this lot off the park!

Idle man
(Login Idle_man)

April 10 2017, 12:14 PM 

Don Wilson and John Hampshire both pretty good too. No one quite like dear old Tony Nick these days though.

Alibor
(Login Alibor2)

April 10 2017, 12:41 PM 

Wish we had Darren Lehmann, Jason Gillespie or even Craig White as coach this season rather than being otherwise engaged.

Steve C
(Login stevecowton)
Assistant Moderator

April 10 2017, 12:52 PM 

Excellent!
The first "Galey Must Go!" of the Season....

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

April 10 2017, 1:24 PM 

It was not a "Galey must go" comment. More a comment on the excellent coaches who we have let go or not signed.

Tyke 1950
(Login Tyke1950)

April 10 2017, 5:37 PM 

I'm not so sure! The excellent Alibor has form regarding Andrew Gale.

Where is Blackpool Peter?! More needed from the trenchant and shrewd JG! Lovely to have the excellent Egham back with us. Where is Brian? I miss him.
Oh my Dewsburian of long ago!

JG
(Login _JG_)

April 10 2017, 7:51 PM 

I rather suspect it is another JG who will more be missed around these parts, but I should be able to contribute more as the season progresses, although the fixtures provide less opportunity for watching live cricket than I would have wanted...

(Login ThirdUmpire)

April 10 2017, 8:50 PM 

I suppose the only consolation is the poignancy of a team called Hampshire winning the first proper game of cricket after the death of our President.

After that the return to form of Ballance, the improvement of Hodd and the emergence of Coad are good to see but the fact that Hampshire are probably relegation favourites is a worry

< Previous Page 1 2 3 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk