<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
JollyD
(Login JollyD)

Injury news

April 10 2017, 11:37 PM 

Our next quickest bowler after Plunkett is probably Fisher. Jared Warner is just turned 20 and is short of experience. He is pretty fast but I worry about his 17 pace run up. I doubt whether he could maintain that in a four day match.

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

Re: Injury news

April 11 2017, 10:27 AM 

In the end, I didn't make it to Old Trafford yesterday, so I only have the score to go on, like everyone else. 5 for Wainman, 3 for Willey, 2 for Carver, none for Fisher, Rhodes, Waite. The main bowlers all got a decent work out.

Kerrigan has already made inroads into our batting. Let's hope Rhodes can make a score.

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

April 11 2017, 11:40 AM 

I've just been reading some of the earlier comments in this thread. I absolutely agree with the view about our bowlers all being similar in pace; this is even true when the 'big four' of Sid, Jack, Tim and Patto are all playing, though the left arm of Sid does give variety (and class).

Shaw was marginally the quickest against Hampshire, similar to Brooks, I would suggest, though obviously not as good (yet). Coad has a yard of pace and a bit of nip, compared with Patto. The NLOP could become NLOC. One summer does not make a swallow, but this was a good start. And he didn't bowl any worse in the second innings than in the first.

The mighty Plunk was very fast at times, a couple of years back, but seems to have gone from 90+ to around 85- since. Time and injuries take their toll. Fisher and, indeed, Warner are probably both quicker.

I'm with Idle Man regarding Willey in red ball cricket. I can't see he offers much, with bat or ball. Certainly he doesn't offer any pace. Meanwhile, there's a Yorkshire lad doing it for Northants....

Finally, if Ballance isn't going to bowl Rafiq on a pitch with some turn (i.e. for Dawson) then we might as well use a five-man pace attack at Edgbaston, take a risk on someone 90% fit, or play the extra batsman, Rhodes or Waite, who both have bowling capabilities.

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

April 11 2017, 11:59 AM 

Willey would take new ball wickets. Also creating rough outside the right handers off stump would in turn aid Rafiq/Lyth.
Willey getting stick because he isn't from Yorkshire, at the same time the NLOP club have failed to even acknowledge his 39 wicketless overs against Hants. As first choice seamer for the match that's simply not good enough.

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

April 11 2017, 12:42 PM 

How many times did he beat the bat, Dwight? Oh, I forgot. You weren't there. But I (at least) did acknowledge that he wasn't at his best, and he is getting older.

Willey may, one day, be one tenth as good. And yes, an 'outsider' does have to prove himself, as Jack Brooks did, despite initial scepticism. What's wrong with that? And what's wrong with taking a pride in our own? 9 of the 11 players were products of our Academy, and three others who are were barred from playing.

Tom
(Login whiterosetom)

April 11 2017, 12:47 PM 

Rhodes currently unbeaten on 68 for the 2nd XI, Waite at the other end on 14.

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

April 11 2017, 12:48 PM 

You don't get prizes for beating the bat Dave.

Patterson has gone from being underrated to overrated in a couple of years. Brooks is the match winner but rarely gets the credit he deserves on here, because he bowls a few four balls.

Wickets > Economy.

Idle man
(Login Idle_man)

April 11 2017, 1:28 PM 

Speaking as a founder member of NLOP, I think it came into existence in response to his being under appreciated, not to suggest he should have an automatic place for ever. However I would need more evidence than one match to think that his place is now in danger. His fans don't just think he is a very good bowler, but that he makes the others more effective. Gale said last year that he couldn't use Brooks (another great bowler, I don't know where you find these critics) as he did if he didn't have Patto in the side. The other seamers all seem to me to be NLOP members.

As for Willey, yes there's a case for the variety a left armer brings, but the dangerous ones have either the ability to move it both ways (Ryan) or pace/bounce (Footitt). As yet neither of these applies.

This message has been edited by Idle_man on Apr 11, 2017 1:42 PM

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

April 11 2017, 1:33 PM 

I've not suggested his place is in danger. It was more the point that his failure to deliver was ignored when in fact it was key to our loss.

Also Dave you were indeed correct in your assumption that i wasn't there. Although that doesn't necessarily leave me at a disadvantage. Refering to another thread you suggested Patterson batted a place too high at 8. He infact batted at 9 in both innings.

Fraisse10
(Login Fraisse10)

April 11 2017, 1:49 PM 

Otley remarked that (our attack of) "4 fast-medium right handers of fairly similar height became very "samey" yesterday"

When I predicted our fourth place finish, I said that this one-dimensional aspect of our bowling attack was one of my key concerns.
Why several of them are starting the season crocked is both puzzling and worrying.

And if you're not prepared to bowl players, don't pick them!

This is a concerning beginning.

JollyD
(Login JollyD)

Injury news

April 11 2017, 3:01 PM 

Rhodes 104 not out at Old Trafford.

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

April 11 2017, 4:08 PM 

Great news, for Rhodes and for Yorkshire. Surely his class must come through.

I don't think our attack was 'samey' in terms of height. Patto is about 6'6", Coad tall also, Brezzy about average for a quick bowler, and Shaw a bit on the short and skiddy side; he still reminds me of Gough.

Hampshire's bowlers, from the very tall Abbott down to the round-arm Edwards, were similarly varied; but all theirs were quicker than all ours! Only Abbott was actually better than our bowlers.

This playing and missing thing is interesting. Brooks takes wickets because he is prepared to bowl a fuller length than Patto, for example. He goes for runs for the same reason. But Patto's natural length is just back-of-a-length, and it's not easy for a bowler of this type to bowl fuller. He wasn't given the new ball, please note.

You need both types in a balanced attack, and if you can have real pace from someone, swing as well as seam, and a left-armer too, it all helps make a good side. A decent spinner would make it much better.

This judging of players by scorecard is really stupid, though. Day 1, Coad finds Carberry's outside edge and Leaning takes a good catch; day 3, same thing, but Handscomb drops a difficult one. Day 1, both Vince and Ervine play loose strokes which are caught in the ring; day 3, Vince bats solidly and Ervine chooses to play his bad shot against Bresnan rather than Coad.

6 for 37 in one innings; 2 for 96 in the other. Same bowler, similar conditions, same opponents, different luck. Over a season, and especially over a career, it all evens up.

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

April 11 2017, 4:35 PM 

It's not stupid at all. Ultimately the final numbers on the scorecard are what matter.

I'm not suggesting Patterson should be dropped, merely questioning his returns this match. Based on scorecard and the eyes of a couple of shrewd judges, who have informed me he was below par.

(Login ossettgeoff)

April 11 2017, 4:47 PM 

(Login ossettgeoff)

April 11 2017, 4:52 PM 

I was there. Patto did not bowl badly, he was very unlucky not to have a least two or three wickets in the second innings. A lot of playing and missing, on another day these could have easily got an edge.

Otley
(Login Otley)

Injury news

April 11 2017, 6:23 PM 

It could be argued that Edwards was better than our bowlers at least on the first day in that he bowled 3 of our top 6 in our 1st Innings. in fact looking at the match as a whole it was disappointing how many of our team were bowled when none of the Hampshire side were in either innings.

Martin
(Login Martinh00)

April 11 2017, 6:39 PM 

Edwards is the brute force bowler that we did not possess in this game - Plunkett might have done a similar job for us. From memory at least two of those bowled were Yorkers.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

David Willey

April 11 2017, 6:44 PM 

I hope that David Willey is already at least 'one tenth as good a bowler as Patterson'.

He actually has very similar wickets to match ratio as Patterson in first class cricket.

Patterson 124 matches 325 wickets at 28.0
Willey 62 matches 157 wickets at 30.15

He can also bat a bit.

We really haven't seen enough of him in red ball cricket for Yorkshire to be too judgemental.

The next two CC matches are away from home, we have several first choice players not available, and I think this provides a good opportunity to get him in and see what he can do.

(Login Roundhegian)

April 11 2017, 6:44 PM 

I saw most of the match and thought that Hampshire just looked a stronger team player for player.
Which maybe is not surprising when they had eight internationals compared with our four.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

April 11 2017, 8:17 PM 

They had more international players.....

Yes we had 4 with one overseas whereas they had 8 with 2 Saffers, a Zimbabwean, a West Indian and even a bloke who has played for Scotland and another for Italy.

I still haven't worked out which one is the official overseas player.....

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk