<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Injury news

April 10 2017 at 1:28 PM
Stu  (Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

from todays YP

"....Attention now turns to Friday’s trip to Warwickshire, where Yorkshire hope to have a couple of bowlers back from injury.

“Fingers crossed, David Willey and Matthew Fisher will be available,” said Gale.

“They are playing in a four-day second-team game against Lancashire at Old Trafford, and, if they pull through the first innings of that match, they could be available for Friday......"

If Bresnan does not make it, which looks possible as he did not look to good at the end of yesterday, then, hopefully, both of them in. If Tim is ok then Fisher for Shaw.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Tom
(Login whiterosetom)

Re: Injury news

April 10 2017, 1:44 PM 

It would be an interesting scenario if Willey, Fisher and Bresnan were all available. Coad, Bresnan and Patto would surely all keep their place leaving only one place for Willey / Fisher.

Would we really lose any batting depth if we swapped Leaning for Willey? On paper swapping a batsmen for an all rounder looks like the last thing we should do given our current batting weakness but does anyone think Leaning is actually more likely to make runs? If one had to bat to save my life i'm not sure I could choose between them at the moment, Willey's bowling would just be an added bonus.

Idle man
(Login Idle_man)

April 10 2017, 2:03 PM 

Jack Leaning has been picked for the first game, at 5, a much better slot for him than no 3. He has been given first shot at establishing/redeeming himself. He should be given a run to prove himself, one way or the other. After him, arguably Rhodes deserves the same opportunity to gain a place in the 5-7 problem area.

So far, I have very little sense Willey has much to offer with bat or ball in red ball cricket. Purely as a bowler, he wouldn't be a shoe-in for my 2nd XI if everyone was available.

Martin
(Login Martinh00)

April 10 2017, 3:07 PM 

Every chance that Leaning will only get more game before having a game off - Root will come in for him at Hampshire and presumably Bairstow for Hodd, so you would think he would get one more game. Rashid will come in for Rafiq, so the only way Willey gets in is if Coad is rested.

JollyD
(Login JollyD)

Injury news

April 10 2017, 3:26 PM 

There was an interesting comment from the second eleven scorer following the match at Durham. He said Fisher, who took four for four in four overs, had just too much pace for the opposition. That's promising as Hampshire definitely had more pace than us.

Pyrahtechnics
(Login Pyrahtechnics)

April 10 2017, 3:56 PM 

Leaning might have not scored much in runs, but spent 76 minutes in the middle during the 2nd innings. Only Ballance last longer (133 mins), Hodd 71 mins and Lees 64 mins. Crease occupation is just as vital when the Hampshire game advanced so far into the afternoon/evening session of Day 2.

As for what Willey has to offer, his ability to open the bowling is what Yorkshire need right now. Bresnan did a fine job as an interim opener, but a void was left in 1st/2nd change as Patterson and Shaw went wicketless. An opening partnership of Coad/Willey with Bresnan back to 1st change improves Yorkshire's wicket taking ability beyond the new ball and takes pressure off Patterson who won't feel he has to take wickets when his line and length bowling does more than a job.

Kevin Owens
(Login kevinowens)

Re: Injury News

April 10 2017, 4:06 PM 

Idle Man you stated in another post along the lines of I hope the players don't read these stupid comments. I hope Willey doesn't read yours fella

Idle man
(Login Idle_man)

April 10 2017, 4:21 PM 

I would add, that for the white ball he's an automatic pick. But as a Championship bowler, behind Sidebottom, Brooks, Patterson, Bresnan, Plunkett, Fisher, and now arguably Coad.

Martin
(Login Martinh00)

April 10 2017, 5:01 PM 

I wouldn't consider dropping Leaning after one game to accommodate an extra bowler and crease occupation is important I agree. That said, I'm not sure he was batting slowly out of choice - he was struggling with shot placement, and something I have noticed before is that he sometimes struggles to nudge and nurdle and get off strike - Ballance did this brilliantly in both innings against Dawson - a mark of when he is in form. I hope he comes good this season as he has a huge amount of talent.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

April 10 2017, 5:08 PM 

I agree with Idleman re Willey in red ball cricket. In white ball cricket though he is probably one of the first names on the team sheet.

Also agree re Patto. He needs wicket takers at the other end to be at his best. His line and length metronomic bowling does not work without the strike bowlers.

Rashid for Rafiq, Fisher for Shaw, and if Bresnan is not fit then bring Willey in and bat him at 6.

We can then open with Coad & Fisher and have Bresnan or Willey & Patto as the back up. That bowling line-up looks a lot better than against Hampshire.

ian
(Login devon_outcast)

April 10 2017, 5:17 PM 

I have to agree that's a much stronger attack. One huge positive for me this week is the look of the bowling attack for the future. A young pair of Coad and Fisher would be a very dangerous pair. Brooks playing the experienced role and DW a mean all rounder and left had quick.

Ian

Lew
(Login Lewis_116)

April 10 2017, 7:55 PM 

I am amazed at any consideration to dropping a batsman after a game and considering our lack of batting in the last game.

The obvious is Willey comes in for Shaw.

The other considerations is whether you drop Rafiq for:

A: Rhodes, using Lyth as the spinner
B: Carver, which depletes the batting but he's got previous at Edgbaston.

I would go:

Lyth, Lees, Handscomb, Balance c, Leaning, Hodd WK, Bresnan, Willey, Rafiq, Patterson, Coad

Sid
(Login sid-don)
Assistant Moderator

April 10 2017, 8:17 PM 

Hopefully Dave M will drop by with some detail from the first day of the 2's game at Lancs played today. However from the scorecard, Willey has 3 - 47 from 17.2 and Fisher bowled 18 wicketless overs for 60. Best figures were Wainman 5-42 from 18. Lancs fell from 105-1 to 195-8 before a bit of a rally to 257.
We're 31-2 including a 4th ball Willey duck. Rhodes a couple not out, perhaps a big score gets him in the team at Warks.

I expect Willey to replace Shaw. If Plunkett is fit he'll come in for Coad. If think Rashid is available so he'll replace Rafiq. Assuming Plunkett unfit, Willey and Rhodes replace the 2 young bowlers.

(Login hit_amidships)

April 10 2017, 8:36 PM 

Long time lurker, new poster.

Just wanted to say that I think it would send out a dreadful message to drop young Coad after the first game, no matter how many of the senior bowlers become available again.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

Bowling attack

April 10 2017, 8:53 PM 

If they are using the 2nd XI game to assess form then you would think Willey and Wainman would come into contention after sharing 8 of the wickets.

If it's merely to check on fitness then Willey and Fisher have both had a decent days workout.

Fisher was reportedly good v Durham Uni but that was white ball against what seems like very poor opposition.

0 for 60 could mean Fisher was useless or unlucky or somewhere in between in this match, there are a couple of experienced first team men in the Lancashire 2nds.

Think I'd replace Shaw with Willey and bring in Rhodes if Bresnan doesn't recover in time.

Lew
(Login Lewis_116)

April 10 2017, 8:56 PM 

Great if Rashid back.

Agree with the poster above, no way can you drop Coad after that effort!

Its a bizarre statement but I am so concerned with the batting that I think we need Plunkett in for the extra depth if fit. As well as his strike bowling ability without Brooks.

Lyth Lees Handscomb Ballance C Leaning Rashid Bresnan Hodd WK Willey Plunkett Coad

I refuse to confirm that is the team I would select as a member of the NLOP club.

This message has been edited by Lewis_116 on Apr 10, 2017 9:03 PM

Otley
(Login Otley)

Injury news

April 10 2017, 8:59 PM 

I agree with amidships, Coad very much looked the part even in the second innings. If available, Rashid for Rafeeq strengthens our batting as well - though I didn't thing Rafeeq bowled badly yesterday when given a chance. If Willey is fit he must play, if only because 4 fast-medium right handers of fairly similar height became very "samey" yesterday, especially when not broken up with much spin.

This message has been edited by Otley on Apr 10, 2017 9:00 PM

Sid
(Login sid-don)
Assistant Moderator

April 10 2017, 9:12 PM 

In one permutation I did leave Coad out, that wasn't a reflection of his performance which was excellent more a case of not over bowling him. He'll get plenty of involvement.

Tom
(Login whiterosetom)

April 10 2017, 9:18 PM 

Just to clarify, I wasn't saying i'd drop Leaning for Willey if I were picking the team, I very much hope Leaning is a major part of our future and hopefully he'll soon prove us right. I do think it is an interesting thought experiment though, as at the moment I wouldn't have too much confidence in him scoring more runs than Willey in the short term and while Willey isn't the best red ball bowler, we would all have given him a spell Sunday had he been on the field.

Some players respond better after being dropped for a few matches or having the winter break. This doesn't seem to be the case with Leaning and so we have to give him time to play his way out of this rut.

(Login hit_amidships)

April 10 2017, 9:56 PM 

I think the biggest thing we were missing in the first game was variety in the bowling attack. No left arm option, no-one offering significantly greater pace than the rest.

For that reason alone Willey comes straight back in my eyes. Plunkett would be a welcome return too. Maybe someone who follows the club closer than me could answer this: do we have a "fast" option beyond Plunkett? I have seen Jared Warner play England U19 cricket and he seemed to have a yard or two of pace but he doesn't seem close to the first XI.

< Previous Page 1 2 3 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk