<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Attendances

April 11 2017 at 7:47 PM
Tyke1950  (Login Tyke1950)

Bearing in mind the radical proposals for fundamental changes to the structure of the Cricket season, I thought it might be worthwhile to highlight some key statistics which, in my opinion, put in some doubt the validity of the ECB's rationale.

1. Combined aggregate attendances for all County Championship, List A and County 20/20 in the last five years:
2012 - 970,600 2013 - 1,340,650. 2014 - 1,348,300. 2015 - 1,500,180. 2016 - 1,550,480

I make that a year on year increase of over 50%. Quite impressive and not used as part of the ECB's narrative regarding the decline of English cricket.

2. Aggregate attendances for all County Championship matches in the last five years:
2012 - 435,700. 2013 - 507,470. 2014 - 504,230. 2015 - 516,850. 2016 - 576,640

Even the 'cinderella' County Championship, marginalised to early and late season slots, has shown an increase of over
15%, despite the lack of national media coverage. The County supporters are a resilient bunch and, evidently growing in numbers.

3. Aggregate gross attendances and average attendances for 20/20 matches in the last three years, since the last restructuring. (The figure in brackets refers to the number of matches where no result was recorded. I.e. Where, due to weather, a match of less than 5 overs a side was deemed impracticable.)
2014 - 706,000 5,829 (7). 2015 - 824,400. 6,500 (3). 2016 - 815,800. 6,830 (15).

This 'mediocre' competition, reportedly unloved and unsuccessful, has recorded increases of over 15% in both gross and average attendances in the space of only three years. This has happened despite a relatively wet start to the competition in 2016.

4. You may be interested in Yorkshire's attendances over the past years:

County Championship: 2012 - 36,802. 2013 - 49,788. 2014 - 47,565. 2015 - 59,109. 2016 - 65,337.
For the past 4 years Yorkshire has secured the largest attendance of any County.
20/20 Competition: 2014 - 33,440. 5,570. 2015 - 58,916. 8,420. 2016 - 51,632. 8,600.

Steady progress, even in a competition where our fortunes are mixed.

5. Random statistics:
The County which has grown its attendances best over the past years is the often maligned Northamptonshire.
In 2013 their aggregate Championship attendance was 4,170!! In 2016 it had grown to 20,350.
In 2014 their average attendance for 20/20 matches was 3,443. In 2016 it was 4,680.

In the Northern group, the team with by far the largest 20/20 attendances is Nottinghamshire. They averaged 11,010 per game.
Next comes Warwickshire with 8,700.
In the Southern group, Surrey is by far the most well attended County. In 20/20 games they averaged 18,860 per game. Next came Middlesex with an average of 13,680 and then Somerset with 7,390.

In my view these statistics reveal steady growth in interest and attendance, despite all the obstacles put in the way of the game.
They are statistics unlikely to be trumpeted by the ECB because they don't fit in with their narrative of an urgent and irrecoverable decline.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

Re: Attendances

April 11 2017, 8:28 PM 

Thanks for the stats. Appreciate the hard work, time and research you must have done!! A great job.

Not the kind of figures the ECB would like to see, as they completely contradict all their speil about falling attendances, failing competitions and the need for something new to replace them.

This message has been edited by StuartRA on Apr 11, 2017 8:35 PM

(Login KennyShovel)

April 11 2017, 8:48 PM 

Perhaps also worth mentioning that the BBC online commentary on the first round of six championship games this year was listened to by "well over a million people".

Source: twitter feed of Adam Mountford, TMS producer.

JG
(Login _JG_)

April 11 2017, 10:55 PM 

I will echo Stu's comments, an excellent post and one that took some time to put together I'm sure.

Aside from the general point about county cricket, encouraging numbers posted by YCCC, especially in relation to the T20.

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

April 11 2017, 11:25 PM 

Those of us who follow the Championship team around the country can testify to decent crowds [i.e. many more than the man and his dog] everywhere. Nearly everywhere. My photographs often confirm this. Tyke's research confirms what I had thought.

Beware of incorrectly reported figures, though. We had a case a couple of years ago, when the 4-day attendance for Scarborough was reported as about 3,000 in the official YCCC accounts*. Many more than that had been present EACH DAY. Complaints from members brought an admission that 'a category of attendee had been overlooked', or some such weasel phrase. A different (but not necessarily correct) figure was given in a hard-to-find corner of the website.

Those in authority will always use statistics to prove their case; and if the stats don't fit...well, the spirit of Tony Blair lives on.

I would guestimate that last week there were about 3,000 at Headingley on day 1, a few less on day 2, a few more on day 3. A total of around 9,000. Any comments?

[* I'm guessing at the number 3,000 reported at Scarborough - not got the time nor the inclination to check, and I binned the bumf back at the time, so I'm playing the Blair game too. But my point remains valid. Those WMDs are out there, really they are, would I lie to you?]

Papag
(Login Papag1)

April 12 2017, 8:20 AM 

Great post , hope it gets the coverage it deserves from the media who read this site, however our game custodians will not like it one bit so watch your back Tyke happy.gif

(Login matthefish2002)

April 12 2017, 9:12 AM 

Are these figures of Yorkshire attendances and other counties available anywhere online?

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

April 12 2017, 9:21 AM 

Congratulations on the posting.

There's a lot of nonsense talked about the decline of County cricket spectators.

Of course a large number are senior citizens, they are one of the few groups who have the time to fully appreciate it. But as your numbers and the increases in membership show this is a growing market.

The game still needs to be relevant and of interest to a younger audience I agree, but it's the grey vote they need to target to put bums on seats midweek.

Tyke1950
(Login Tyke1950)

April 12 2017, 10:16 AM 

Hi Matt.

The figures have been compiled from data available in Wisden.
I'm a bit of a stats geek and enjoy time with a pen and calculator.
The data may be on line but I'm not sure where and you'd probably need to visit multiple sites.

(Login matthefish2002)

April 12 2017, 10:24 AM 

Tyke1950.
Thanks for the info really enjoyed reading your post.
I love stats too, one reason I love cricket as its a stats lovers dream.

Glad to see attendances figures going up. I think many of my non cricket supporting friends (and my Mum) really do believe I am the only person at county matches sometimes.

Tom
(Login whiterosetom)

April 12 2017, 11:05 AM 

Really interesting, especially the Northants stat. Has their success in the T20 spilt over into more interest in the championship or is it something else? T20 isn't my favourite format but I can see how it can be used to help the longer game, unfortunatley the ECB seem intent on using it to destroy first class cricket instead.

You can't really compare first class or one day cricket attendances to any other sport becuase of the obvious differences in the length of matches. If we compare the T20 averages to other leagues with a similar amount of teams competing:

Football (Premier League)- 36,461
Football (Championship) - 17,578
Rugby Union (Premiership) - 14,380
Rugby League (Super League)- 9,177
Cricket (T20 Blast) - 8,600
Football (League One)- 7,169
Football (League Two) - 4,880

This message has been edited by whiterosetom on Apr 12, 2017 11:05 AM

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

April 12 2017, 11:47 AM 

Cricinfo have also picked up on the attendances increase.

From an article today

"....Against all the odds, the Championship continues to attract more interest than is often assumed to be the case. BBC Radio were thrilled last week by figures which showed 1.1m unique users followed the commentaries during first round of Championship matches.

Advance sales for the NatWest Blast are also booming, although the ECB is unlikely to make much play of that until their plan for a new eight-team T20 tournament is approved."

sid
(Login sid-don)
Assistant Moderator

April 12 2017, 1:36 PM 

Ill post again later, but just to add my praise for an excellent piece of work.

I'm so angry about what Harrison, Greaves and Strauss are doing to the game. My view; they can have their 'city' T20 and we can have a county game. There's room for us all. Why do they need to destroy the previous 150 years when its still wonderfully relevant for all but Sky TV.

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

April 12 2017, 3:41 PM 

Why? Because they're powerful, and if you are powerful you get to screw other people. And the sort of people who gain power, are the sort who WANT to screw other people.

I'll add my heartfelt thanks to Tyke for his research, but I don't think these people will be deflected by something as trivial as facts.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

April 12 2017, 5:42 PM 

I'm waiting for the announcement for the fixtures for the new t20 in 2020 I believe as they will do well to fit in around Olympics, Euro football finals etc and crowds may not come easily.

Of course these major events will be on terrestrial tv so Sky may have to compete head to head.

Tyke1950
(Login Tyke1950)

April 12 2017, 6:45 PM 

The ECB has already covered itself by suggesting the new competition will emulate The Big Bash by failing to make a profit in its first three years.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

April 12 2017, 6:47 PM 

The very fact that they will be on "free to view" tv will have a massive impact on the crowds as well as all the other events taking place. Why would a family of four have all the hassle of travelling, and all the costs, when they can watch at home.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

Cricket on radio

April 12 2017, 9:22 PM 

I know it makes everything neat and tidy to start all the CC matches on a Friday but that does deny us cricket lovers the chance to listen to much cricket commentary on R5SX.

Over the weekend the cricket is very often knocked off to accommodate some other sport, while during the week they don't seem to have anything to put on.

The powers that be could consider scheduling maybe one game to start on a Monday and if necessary compensate the home team from the broadcasting fees.

I like to listen to the radio while pottering about in the garden but I'm not a music fan and on talk radio I'm reaching politics overload.

Sid
(Login sid-don)
Assistant Moderator

April 12 2017, 9:54 PM 

More support for county cricket:

http://www.thecricketmonthly.com/story/1086974/how-s-county-cricket-doing

Can someone bring this thread to the attention of Lizzie Ammon, Graham Hardcastle, David Hopps, Vic Marks, Kevin Howells, George Dubell? Basically any sympathetic journalist

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

April 13 2017, 12:16 AM 

I have sent an e-mail to David Hopps, with a link to this thread.

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk