<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

Re: Attendances

April 13 2017, 9:30 AM 

I yesterday sent an email to the ECB, also with a link to this thread.

Your email, Dave, might get a mention on Cricinfo or even an article, mine will be ignored!!

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

April 13 2017, 10:53 AM 

I have had a supportive reply from David Hopps, so we will see something on cricinfo, I think.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

April 13 2017, 11:59 AM 

And suprisingly, for the first time, I have had an encouraging reply from the ECB - as follows.

"The latest set of figures from last year are extremely positive and have all been distributed to the cricket media.

Last year’s annual attendance data showed that more than 2.3 million people (2,312,395) watched domestic or international cricket last season – the second highest total since ECB became the game’s new national governing body in 1997.

In 2016, the county game enjoyed a record-breaking year with attendances for the three domestic competitions totalling nearly 1.6 million (1,594,318) – the highest season aggregate in ECB’s history and a three per cent per increase on 2015.

The biggest rise in domestic cricket was in the Specsavers County Championship. The four-day competition enjoyed a 12 per cent rise in attendances – with crowds increasing from 513,693 in 2015 to 576,641 last summer."

This message has been edited by StuartRA on Apr 13, 2017 12:01 PM

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

April 13 2017, 2:29 PM 

That is very positive, Stu. I for one don't believe there is an agenda to kill the championship, though I do think the ECB would like to see the back of the t20 blast. At the moment they are trying to squeeze four competitions into a schedule where three barely fit. Of course the implications of losing the current t20 comp would be dire for the smaller counties in particular.

Sid
(Login sid-don)
Assistant Moderator

April 13 2017, 7:16 PM 

I agree that the current administrators don't want to completely kill 'county' cricket but they're doing little to help it. Its the next generation of admin people I'm really worried about.

The counties need to start fighting back.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

April 13 2017, 7:59 PM 

I'm optimistic for attendance in the CC during the coming season, as long as the weather gods play ball.

Obviously I much prefer it when we win the championship in a canter, but we ain't gonna do that, so I think Div 1 will be fascinating down to the final round again. I just hope we are in the mix.

Div 2 should see an increase I would imagine with Notts, Durham, Sussex and possibly Kent vying for the two promotion spots.

I shall attempt to increase my attendance at the CC by at least 15% to make up for the 2 games less we are playing this season.

Never been to Chelmsford, nor wanted to if truth be told, but I shall add that to Taunton and Lords for my away ground targets this season.

If we do get a further increase this season, despite fewer games, I would imagine the ECB will take full credit and suggest they have got the number of fixtures just right.

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk