<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Championship l Warwickshire vs Yorkshire (Pre-match thread)

April 11 2017 at 8:20 PM

WRF  (Premier Login AlexRoberts)
Owner

Can Yorkshire come back from a disappointing loss to Hampshire? What is our best lineup considering the opposition, our depleted attack and the annoying ECB?
""

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

Re: Championship l Warwickshire vs Yorkshire (Pre-match thread)

April 11 2017, 8:42 PM 

Depends who is fit or not by Friday, but Fisher, Willey or Rhodes for Shaw would improve things, and, as a bonus, the latter two would greatly improve the batting.

(Login EastYorkshireTyke)

April 11 2017, 9:21 PM 

Rashid for Rafiq for starters.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

April 11 2017, 11:30 PM 

We might get some clue on Wednesday. Surely they will pull either Willey or Fisher from the 2nd XI friendly in good time.

If Bresnan isn't going to be fit that might mean pulling Rhodes too, despite him being 170 not out.

Dave I suspect your love of Yorkshire youngsters makes your judgement a bit clouded sometimes. Shaw might not have been terrible to you but the fact he only bowled 16 overs in the match, as opposed to 42 by Coad and similar numbers by Patto and Bresnan, I think shows the Captain didn't agree.

Alas when it comes to bowlers my eyesight is now so bad I have to rely on what others say and the stats.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

April 12 2017, 7:14 AM 

Well whatever team we select, it won't include Root or Bairstow. Elsewhere Broad and Moores at Notts had the cheek to ask Dtrauss to change his mind about not letting Broad play v Durham later this week after only bowling 21 overs in their win over Leicts.

Strauss turned down the request which surprised me as any further chance to hurt Durham might have been on his agenda. Of course if they did let him play the rumblings from Yorkshire might have reached the corridors of Lords fairly quickly.

I hope Willey Rhodes Rashid and Fisher are in contention - let's face it we have a long season ahead and some of our lads must be tired after one or two games and need a rest. Well that's what the ecb think....

Lew
(Login Lewis_116)

April 12 2017, 7:22 AM 

To be honest I am finding it hard to remember who is available from England and where we are with injuries.

Its a shame the ECB ridicule the CC in such a way.

My understanding is that Rashid is available. Willey and Fisher played for the Seconds and Rhodes looks to have scored some runs in the same game.

I would love to see Plunkett back if fit, but sounds unlikely.

My realistic 11 is:

Lyth
Lees
Handscomb
Ballance C
Leaning
Rashid
Bresnan
Hodd WK
Willey
Patterson (Plunkett)
Coad

Lets not rush Fisher back.
Coad cannot be dropped after that effort
I want Willey in the team for left arm variation batting depth

My only other consideration is whether Handscomb could take the glovea and be an able keeper, replacing Hodd bringing n Rhodes.

That would be harsh on Hodd after a 50* in the last game and I am not sure how good handscomb's keeping is.

Alibor
(Login Alibor2)

April 12 2017, 9:59 AM 

Rhodes must come into contention having scored 170 not out yesterday?

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

April 12 2017, 10:03 AM 

I agree with your thinking and team Lew.

Hopeful Brez is fit and hopefully Plunkett too.

Tom
(Login whiterosetom)

April 12 2017, 10:11 AM 

I'd like Rhodes in too but I can't see Handscomb keeping wicket so my only change to Lew's team would possibly be Rhodes for Willey. I'll trust the club's judgement on who most deserves the place.

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

April 12 2017, 11:29 AM 

Handscomb has looked average with the gloves when i've seen him, albeit in t20s and a small sample size.

Keeping in England would be a new challenge for him aswell as batting at 3. Far too much of a burden. If we drop him down the order, isn't it defeating the object of signing him as a frontline batsman.

Hodd is doing a fair enough job in any case.

Loiner
(Login TheLoiner)

April 12 2017, 11:36 AM 

2nd XI scorecard has Matt Fisher retired hurt, looks like he's been pulled for the 1st team

Dewsburian
(Login Dewsburian)

April 12 2017, 11:37 AM 

Hello all, and a happy new year to those of you I haven't seen since last season.
I notice Matthew Fisher is being flagged up as "retired hurt" on the second team scorecard today. Does anyone know if he has genuinely sustained another injury, or is this perhaps just an indication that he's been withdrawn from the game ahead of Friday?

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

April 12 2017, 11:37 AM 

Hopefully it's that and not another genuine injury.

Dewsburian
(Login Dewsburian)

April 12 2017, 11:40 AM 

It's interesting to get an answer before you ask the question. Wasn't that a Two Ronnies sketch?

JollyD
(Login JollyD)

Championship Warwickshire vs Yorkshire

April 12 2017, 12:19 PM 

It looks as though there has been no play so far at Old Trafford. So if Fisher is really injured, either he sustained it yesterday or playing football this morning.
Let's hope "retired hurt" has been cited as a means to give another player chance to bat. Fisher would then replace Shaw, presumably. In that case, left arm swing bowler Wainman might feel disappointed after his five wicket haul.

sid
(Login sid-don)
Assistant Moderator

April 12 2017, 1:32 PM 

I'd assume Willey for Shaw and Rashid for Rafiq as the two definite changes.

Fisher 12th man but an outside chance of stepping in for a rested Coad. As Rhodes has not been retired in his current innings, assume he won't be involved against Warks.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

April 12 2017, 1:40 PM 

Those two changes strengthens the bowling, batting and fielding. I just wonder if Tim is ok as he limped through the last 30 mins or so on Sunday. If Tim is un-fit then possibly Rhodes as the third change to last weeks team.

(Login Jacobus24)

April 12 2017, 4:42 PM 

Lyth
Lees
Ballance (c)
Leaning
Handscomb (wk)
Bresnan
Willey
Rashid
Plunkett
Patterson
Coad

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

April 12 2017, 6:48 PM 

Plunkett is still injured, another two weeks yet, according to the local papers.

(Login hit_amidships)

April 12 2017, 6:50 PM 

I don't see any circumstance under which Handscomb keeps wicket. Certainly not in first class cricket and probably not at all.

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk