<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

Re: Championship l Warwickshire vs Yorkshire (Pre-match thread)

April 12 2017, 7:04 PM 

In any case, Hodd was one of only two batsmen to pass 50.

Lyth
Lees
Handscomb
Ballance
Leaning
Bresnan
Hodd
Rashid
Willey
Patterson
Coad

(Login EastYorkshireTyke)

April 12 2017, 7:43 PM 

I'm still surprised people still fall for Jacobus's wind ups!

Tom
(Login whiterosetom)

April 13 2017, 9:58 AM 

The weather is not looking fantastic for Edgbaston over the weekend. Plenty of cloud cover forecast over all four days with Friday being the most likely day to see showers. Obviously other factors to take into account but I wouldn't be suprised if we exercise our right to bowl first.

(Login Jacobus24)

April 13 2017, 11:20 AM 

Yeah having Hodd in the line-up is obviously the bedrock of success. Handscomb is more than capable of keeping in the Championship, having him bat at 5 would give the side the flexibility it needs. My view on the clubs novice coach also falls into the same category as Hodd, i personally feel Moxon has made a bad call and he should have appointed Brad Hodge.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

April 13 2017, 12:08 PM 

From the OS (2nd X1 report)

"......Day three dawned with changes to the Yorkshire line up – David Willey and Matthew Fisher were replaced by Ben Ainsley and debutant, Tom Loten......."

Rhodes is still playing, so this probably suggests Willey & Fisher are possibles replacements and Rhodes is not.

Martin
(Login Martinh00)

April 13 2017, 12:18 PM 

"Yeah having Hodd in the line-up is obviously the bedrock of success. Handscomb is more than capable of keeping in the Championship, having him bat at 5 would give the side the flexibility it needs. My view on the clubs novice coach also falls into the same category as Hodd, i personally feel Moxon has made a bad call and he should have appointed Brad Hodge"

For what it is worth, I think Handscombe keeping wicket is a bad:

1) He doesn't keep in first class cricket. So he doesn't keep in Shield Cricket but he is good enough to keep in County Cricket?
2) He has just arrived in the UK and was clearly bedding in in the last game. Do we really want to add additional burdens at this point in the season when we need him to start churning out the runs
3) Without Hodd in the last game we would have lost very badly. I watched his innings and he was batting as well as I have ever seen him - another 45 minutes of him batting (remember he was not out) and we would probably have scored enough runs to win. He is not the best wicket keeper batsman in the world but at least he is a regular keeper.

As for Gale, only time will tell. Worth remembering that he is an experienced coach through his business and has most of the badges. Hodge has actually done very little coaching of note and I don't think he has the qualifications. Of course for all we know Hodge may have been offered the post and turned it down. Does anyone know any different?

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

April 13 2017, 12:33 PM 

Team news (from the OS)

Leg spinner Adil Rashid returns to the fold having been made available by England and is set to make his first appearance of the season.

Matthew Fisher and David Willey, who both played Second XI cricket earlier this week after respective groin and shoulder injuries, trained with the First XI on Wednesday and are both included in the squad.

Liam Plunkett (calf) and Ryan Sidebottom (tight hamstring) are 7-14 days away from being available for selection.

Jack Brooks had his first bowl since sustaining a calf injury, but remains several weeks away from a return

England stars Joe Root and Jonny Bairstow will be available for the trip to Hampshire at the Ageas Bowl starting on Friday week.

Yorkshire’s 13-man squad to face Warwickshire County Cricket Club:
Gary Ballance (Captain), Tim Bresnan, Ben Coad, Matthew Fisher, Peter Handscomb, Andrew Hodd (Wicketkeeper), Jack Leaning, Alex Lees, Adam Lyth, Steven Patterson, Adil Rashid, Jared Warner, David Willey.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

April 13 2017, 12:54 PM 

Warwickshire squad

Warwickshire have announced a squad of 13 for the game with Yorkshire at Edgbaston.

Ian Bell (Captain)
Tim Ambrose (Wicket-Keeper)
Keith Barker
Rikki Clarke
Sam Hain
Oliver Hannon-Dalby
Alex Mellor (Wicket-Keeper)
Jeetan Patel
William Porterfield
Sunny Singh
Grant Thornton
Jonathan Trott
Chris Wright

(Login leef1234)

April 13 2017, 2:36 PM 

Everytime Jacobus posts he shows his lack of cricketing knowledge

To say that a non wicket keeper should take over from a proven one who was 1 of only 2 players to pass 50 last week and that the batting order should be adjusted to accommodate the new "stopper" just about sums it up

To then go on and stare tags an unproven and unqualified coach should have been appointed because he is better (evidence?) further supports the lack of knowledge argument

JollyD
(Login JollyD)

Championship Warwickshire vs Yorkshire

April 13 2017, 2:53 PM 

Matthew Waite is having a good match for the seconds at Old Trafford. Following his 64 in Yorkshire's first innings, he has taken four out of five Lancashire wickets to fall so far(4 for 17 in 16 overs). It looks as though some of Yorkshire's youngsters are beginning to bloom.

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

April 13 2017, 5:58 PM 

There's something about Waite. Anyone who can have a bad day in the field because he's got his contacts in the wrong eyes is different! But this guy did it from the moment he came into the 2s, and he keeps on doing it, bat and ball, and I think he did okay for the 1s in white ball, back end of last season?

He is more 'obviously' a white ball cricketer, because in CC his bowling is more 5th seamer than 4th; given that we haven't got an absolutely top-class finger spinner, we need our 4th seamer to be a serious bowler. He doesn't quite meet the criterion that an all-rounder must be worth his place either as a batsman or as a bowler alone.

But he wouldn't need too much improvement to turn into the real deal, and that's what the 2nd XI / Academy are there for.

Dewsburian
(Login Dewsburian)

April 13 2017, 6:04 PM 

It's encouraging to see these young players doing well against a decent Lancashire line-up. I'm disappointed Rhodes hasn't been included in the first team squad after getting big runs against an attack that included Kerrigan, Mahmood and Proctor. He's made runs before at Edgbaston and it would be nice to think that if he is picked at some point this season, it'll be when he's at the top of his form.

Lew
(Login Lewis_116)

April 13 2017, 7:22 PM 

"Something about him" is a good summary for Waite. Looks to be one of those cricketers who rises to the challenge.

I have an expectation be will end up like Bresnan in his value.

Sid
(Login sid-don)
Assistant Moderator

April 13 2017, 7:56 PM 

Waite is a difficult one to judge, but I agree he has 'something' however I fear he may fall just short as a first class alrounder. Number 6 bat who bowls a bit? 4th seamer who can bat well at 7?

JollyD: Is Logan unavailable due to exam / study commitments? Any background about Lowton?

(Login ThirdUmpire)

April 13 2017, 9:16 PM 

So are you saying Waite is another Gary Fellows rather than Tim Bresnan?

Sid
(Login sid-don)
Assistant Moderator

April 13 2017, 10:03 PM 

As you say 3rd ump another TB or a Gary Fellows, that is the question and the margins are fine.

Physically much more Tim than Gary. In terms of a YCCC career my prediction is somewhere between the two although possibly slightly nearer to Gary. Although I suspect the club see him as having genuine first team potential and hopes are high. Given he's already captained the 2s, and in a side where others might have been expected to do the job, someone must rate his leadership skills.

CaravanShaker
(Login CaravanShaker)

April 14 2017, 7:41 AM 

As you say 3rd ump another TB or a Gary Fellows, that is the question and the margins are fine.

Physically much more Tim than Gary. In terms of a YCCC career my prediction is somewhere between the two although possibly slightly nearer to Gary.

So a new Pyrah?

WS55
(Login WibseySimon55)

April 14 2017, 7:50 AM 

After NLOP, we have a new acronym in the making: where does this guy fall on the the BPF spectrum?

JollyD
(Login JollyD)

Championship Warwickshire vs Yorkshire

April 14 2017, 11:00 AM 

We must remember that Matthew Waite is still only 20 years of age, so perhaps it is a little early to rush to judgment. Comparison with Tim Bresnan is interesting as both were brought up in central Yorkshire, close to Castleford, Bresnan in Pontefract and Waite in Methley.
Tom Loten is an 18 year old all rounder, bowling medium pace. I believe his home club is Dunnington. He is a product of the Yorkshire Schools' system (remember them ?) but has developed rather later than some. He played regularly for Yorkshire under 17's last season.
The whereabouts of James Logan is something of a mystery. He is listed among the Academy players in the literature issued at the AGM. However, the Bradford League website shows him transferred from the Academy to Farsley. It is possible that Yorkshire have 'farmed him out' for greater experience. They have done so with young players previously. The smaller grounds in the Bradford League will certainly test his spin bowling.

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk