<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

The Fab Four

April 13 2017 at 4:14 PM
Kevin Owens  (Login kevinowens)

With this season been the last we'll see of Patto, Bres,Brooks and Siddy bowling together. What's been your favourite memory? For me the first season we won the championship. The whole season the bowlers were a joy to watch as were the rest of team. Ryan will be sorely missed and I fear for Patto perhaps being found out.

This message has been edited by kevinowens on Apr 13, 2017 4:22 PM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
(Login EastYorkshireTyke)

Re: The Fab Four

April 13 2017, 5:19 PM 

After 100+ games and 325 first class wickets why would Patterson be "found out"?

Dewsburian
(Login Dewsburian)

April 13 2017, 6:05 PM 

Has any Yorkshire player done well in their benefit season recently? I think that might be more of a problem for Patto.

Kevin Owens
(Login kevinowens)

April 13 2017, 6:12 PM 

84 overs and no wickets is the reason I suggest patto may have been found out.

Tom
(Login whiterosetom)

April 13 2017, 6:51 PM 

I'm not sure one match out of 100 means someone has been "found out". During that match he had one that could have been caught and atleast a couple of close plays and misses. On a different day he could have easily Had 2 or 3 wickets and nothing would have been mentioned because that doesn't look too bad for those who only follow the scorecards.

On the other hand i'm sure there have been matches in his career where he has bowled worse against batsmen who have played bad shots and he's ended up with figures that have complimented his efforts. Again those who only folow the scorecards would praise his bowling.

Someone said it before but things tend to average out over a whole career and Patto doesn't have bad statistics. I struggle to believe he has been found out in one match at the age of 33.

This message has been edited by whiterosetom on Apr 13, 2017 7:06 PM

Lew
(Login Lewis_116)

April 13 2017, 7:19 PM 

Thats an incredible statement to say Patto may have been "found out"

Not sure what to say back to that. Do you mean the other strike bowlers were able to benefit from his economical bowling and that by losing Sidebottom and by having Brooks injured it means more pressure on him to get wickets?

I don't think Patto is undroppable, but he is a big part of the team.

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

April 13 2017, 7:31 PM 

Wow 84 overs in an interesting stat but not worth the hassle Kevin.

Earlier in the week i suggested Patterson wasn't good enough against Hants and was roundly set upon by his fan club. He can do no wrong.
I wouldn't going as far as saying he's been found out though, would still be in my team for now but pressure must be on him when everyone is fit.

Tyke1950
(Login Tyke1950)

April 13 2017, 7:51 PM 

As a big Patto fan, I'm not unrealistic about when he is at his best.
He needs a strong attack around him to be at his most effective.
He is a foil for Sidebottom and Brooks. When he bowls at the other end to one these or Plunkett, he is able to apply the squeeze that enables them to take wickets. He takes his own wickets by frustrating his opponents with his miserliness and by exploiting the batsman's urgent desire to make progress at the perceived 'weaker' end.
He is the least glamorous of cricketers but one of the most business like and focussed.

He was somewhat below his best against Hampshire; his effectiveness was reduced by being a member of a weakened attack.
Someone spoke of Coad as his natural successor. I'm not sure about that but I am absolutely certain that Yorkshire's recent Championship success has had as much to do with him as any other bowler in the side. If, in the years to come, Coad has half as much influence on the team as Patterson, he'll be a considerable player.

Sid
(Login sid-don)
Assistant Moderator

April 13 2017, 7:53 PM 

I saw virtually all our bowling against Hamps and without doubt Patto was unlucky. However if he goes on, and on, being unlucky he'll loose his place. I'd suggest we're not anywhere near that point yet. The emergence of Coad, a potentially relatively similar bowler, does bring competition.

Pyrahtechnics
(Login Pyrahtechnics)

April 13 2017, 8:51 PM 

Too many games to single out the best bowling performance by the Fab Four, they have bowled consistently well as a unit in the 3-4 years.

As for Patto being found out? He did try his best in the 2nd innings against Hampshire but their batsmen barely seem troubled.

I echo the sentiments of Tyke1950 that no-one has a divine right to start and would argue the automatic selection mentality cost Yorkshire silverware last year. On a benign pitch at Lords, would Liam Plunkett's extra pace (and late order batting) got Yorkshire the 3rd successive County Championship title had he played instead of Patterson?

Was the conditions at Edgbaston for Twenty20 Finals Day more suitable for Patterson's bowling than going with the spin duo of Rashid and Rafiq? Bearing in mind Patterson was amongst the wickets in the T20 Blast.

I feel that Yorkshire are not streetwise enough in big match situations. The lower order batting in that innings chase against Middlesex should have initially knocked the ball for 1s and 2s, but Hodd pretty much went out to bat like he put up the "Back in 5 minutes" sign on his 7-11. Their bowlers might have been under pressure to serve a "hit me" delivery in the hope of getting a catch in the deep, because a draw would give Somerset the title.

I feel the captaincy in those two matches last year lacked innovation and player selection fell into the hands of the opposition, when Yorkshire had personnel to do something out of the box. I hope this is something highlighted in the club think-tank and Ballance gets to make some bold decisions in order to win key matches instead of employing the safety first option.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

April 13 2017, 9:11 PM 

I don't think it was Patto who was found out but the whole of the team....

Loved watching them rattle through Warwickshire at Headingley last summer

Idle man
(Login Idle_man)

April 13 2017, 10:54 PM 

Pyrahtechnics' post is an example of why cricket is such a great game. It's perfectly sensible but on balance I disagree with most of it. I don't think Plunkett manages to extract life from dead wickets, though he's lethal with a bit of pace and bounce, as against Durham at Scarborough in 2015. As for Lord's last year I thought we were dead by the time the tailenders were in. For me it was the early batsmen who went after it too quickly. And we should never have made the 'neither side will play for a draw' agreement. Without it, Middlesex would have had to keep us in the hunt to win. As it was they could go on the defensive and wait for us to commit suicide in the second half of the innings.

(Login EastYorkshireTyke)

April 13 2017, 11:02 PM 

Plunkett's 10 wickets in 8 Championship games last season are another reason why he didn't play at Lords.

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

April 13 2017, 11:31 PM 

I would never (okay, never say never) play Plunkett ahead of Patterson...but I might play Coad ahead of Patto. If we had a Raymond Illingworth in the side, the NLOP club would never have been born, but you have to have SOMEONE who gives the captain control.

You also have to have someone who can take wickets, and that is Jack Brooks and Adil (the 5th member of the Fab 4).

Sidebottom gives you a bit of both, but he can't bowl 25 overs in a day any more. Brezzy performed the Patto role for England when we won the Ashes in Oz, but he can't do that any more, either.

I thought Plunkett way down on speed all last season. I suspect that he played when only 70% fit, because we were missing others who were even more injured. Let's hope he comes roaring back at 90mph and gives us an extra dimension, in a week or two.

Anglian Exile
(Login AnglianExile)

April 14 2017, 7:18 AM 

Idle Man has got it absolutely right about Lord's last year. Most of the YCCC supporters near me on the last day felt we had been taken for mugs by Middlesex. (Sorry - slightly off topic!)

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

April 14 2017, 8:46 AM 

Still off topic, I was in Greece and didn't find out the score until after it was all over, and I thought so too!

I keep asking people why we fed Middlesex runs. After all, if they wanted to win the CC they HAD to score them. The 240 off 40 seemed a 'fair' target, but couldn't it have been much better for us?

As I say, I wasn't there, I wasn't watching on TV or even listening to Cally. Perhaps it felt right at the time? It has also been suggested that Gale and Franklin both despised Somerset, so losing was better than letting them win it.

And we achieved that.

Anglian Exile
(Login AnglianExile)

April 14 2017, 9:13 AM 

It didn't feel right to me and others who were there.....No fielding restrictions, a dead wicket, no Root, Bairstow or Rashid, facing a quality attack, an agreement which took the draw out of the equation.........many of us felt we gifted it to Middlesex.

just grazing
(Login Justgrazing)

April 14 2017, 12:16 PM 

With Gale running off teh pitch after every over looking to be increasingly desperate to make any kind of a deal, I reckon Middlesex played him like a fiddle and made him look an absolute mug.

Idle man
(Login Idle_man)

April 14 2017, 2:04 PM 

And incidentally, the 'no draw whatever' arrangement was very unfair on Somerset.

Pyrahtechnics
(Login Pyrahtechnics)

May 14 2017, 8:33 PM 

Bowling selection for the Roses County Championship at Old Trafford will be interesting now that Sidebottom and Brooks recently played in a 2nd XI fixture against Warwickshire.

You would think Coad has nailed his place in the starting XI, while Brooks and Sidebottom are a shoo in to start. Bresnan taking 9 wickets at an average of 29.11 and Patto taking 4 wickets at an average of 50.5 pretty much decides the 4th seamers slot.

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk