<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Throw downs

April 14 2017 at 7:29 AM
Martin  (Login Iburndale)

I must have been at a very loose end on Wednesday night because I watched most of an IPL game, which is rare for me. Aside from the standard of cricket being very average, something else grabbed my attention. Of the 11 bowlers I watched, 4 had actions which ranged from very suspect to blatant throwing. We have been fed this crap about it being ok to bend the arm 15 degrees for ages now, but this type of 'bowling' seems to have become acceptable. Next time a batsman asks for some one to give him some 'throw downs' in practice, just send for the expert, Harbadjan, he's great at those. 'Pie thrower' is a common expression in cricket, usually to describe an occasional bowler who int reight good. Some of the IPL'bowlers' have put a whole new slant on this phrase.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

Re: Throw downs

April 14 2017, 8:31 AM 

How can you watch the IPL without knowing you are watching the greatest cricket ever played? The commentators tell you, every over - they can't be wrong, can they?

Brett Lee mentioned Shane Warne and Murali 15 degrees as the two greatest spin bowlers of all time. Fact. Not opinion. I was screaming at the TV, "When did you see Hedley Verity bowl, then, Brett?" But it didn't answer.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

Lack of engagement

April 14 2017, 9:43 AM 

Both my wife and I used to really enjoy watching the IPL until this season.

I'm now down to occasionally watching the last half of the run chase, if it's cold or wet outside.

Unfortunately, apart from Chris Woakes, Tymal Mills and Rashid Khan, I have no interest in wishing to see any of the other players do well.

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk