<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Scarborough Cricket Ground

April 14 2017 at 12:27 PM
Lynda and Steve  (Login smandlej)

We should like to come to the Yorkshire v Essex match at Scarborough this year. Not having been there for some considerable time and understanding there is little seating under cover, we wondered if it is possible to move round the ground during the day so that one is always in the shade? Lynda is unable to deal with the heat, so we should have to give up on the trip if we are unable to sit out of the sun (should it be shining, of course!).

Thanks in advance.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
WS55
(Login WibseySimon55)

Re: Scarborough Cricket Ground

April 14 2017, 12:47 PM 

This is a good question, Steve, as shade is a bit of an issue at Scarborough if it should be really hot and sunny.

But the short answer is, Yes, you can always move around the ground. You are not tied to a pre-bought seat or anything. In fact, it is one of the joys of County Cricket that you can roam about, stretch your legs, and enjoy a different perspective from time to time. As long, of course, as you don't move behind the bowler's arm when play is from the end you're at!

The Trafalgar Square end of Scarborough has seats that are under cover, and in shade for much of the day, You should be fine if you base yourselves there, especially towards the back. If the mid-afternoon gets too hot, and you can't find a little niche of shade somewhere, you can always leave for an hour or so, and come back when the sun has moved/lost some strength. They give you a Pass Out ticket so you don't pay twice. Another of the little joys of the county game.

Leg Glance
(Login legglance)

April 14 2017, 12:50 PM 

The only thing in the shade at Scarborough is normally the opposition!

Lynda and Steve
(Login smandlej)

April 14 2017, 1:05 PM 

Thankyou very much, very informative. Looks like our trip is on, then, so we shall look for accommodation as we don't really want to drive over each day (we live in Richmond).

East Coast Type
(Login EastCoastType)

April 14 2017, 1:53 PM 

Just one additional point, to ensure that you get a seat in the shade arrive early and 'bagsy' it. Quite a few Yorkshire supporters prefer the shade to the sun and if you roll in at 1100 they might be taken, or at the very least you might find it a struggle to find two together.

WS55
(Login WibseySimon55)

April 14 2017, 2:07 PM 

Lucky you, living in Richmond! What a lovely place.

(Login dpressed)

April 14 2017, 3:08 PM 

One thing to note. The Trafalgar Square end isn't a 'normal' part of the ground. Scarborough & Yorkshire members can use it free of change. Non members have to pay an extra charge. For this reason anyone 'paying on the gate' pays more at the Trafalgar Square entrance. Its not normally a 'problem' but every so often the stewards do check that those who aren't allowed are using the Trafalgar Square facilities.

The Scarborough gates open for members at 09:30 (although its not known for them to be late) with non members being allowed in from 10:00, although usually non members are allowed in once the members' queue has gone down. Although the ground is no where near full for a county game there is a queue before the gates open so members can get 'their' chosen seats. I'm normally a 'late comer' getting there around 09:15.

Lynda and Steve
(Login smandlej)

April 14 2017, 4:01 PM 

Thankyou again for the additional information. We tend to arrive for matches at about 10am, but maybe we should arrive earlier than that.

Steve C
(Login stevecowton)
Assistant Moderator

April 14 2017, 8:40 PM 

I've been watching cricket at Scarborough for almost 40 years.
Sunburn has rarely been an issue.
I'd be more concerned about wind-chill if i were you...

WS55
(Login WibseySimon55)

April 14 2017, 10:50 PM 

happy.gif Well, yes, Steve, the question may be a good one, but the issue is likely to be purely academic! Wrap up warm is most likely the best advice!

Monkwood
(Login Monkwood)

Scarborough

April 15 2017, 10:26 AM 

You need to worry more about finding some accommodation than the sunburn ! last time I looked there was very little left !

Alibor
(Login Alibor2)

April 15 2017, 11:46 AM 

I have watched (and played) at Scarborough for 70 years (since I was 9!) and return every year for the wonderful experience - not a flashy modern stadium but full of character and characters. Thoroughly recommended 😀 Was talking to Sir Garfield Sobers in Barbados recently about festival times at Scarborough and great players who came there in those days eg Sir George Headley.

Haxbyite
(Login Haxbyite)

April 15 2017, 2:13 PM 

I have a wonderful Birthday lined up at Scarborough this year, going to the 80s/90s concert at the open air theatre on Saturday and then cricket on the Sunday with lots of friends joining from York. We looked for accommodation but everything was full price (and +) or full so we are camping in Seamer (and probably eating in the Copper Horse there). Only been going for 42 years (first game when I was 8 and at Bramcote) but have so many happy memories, even coming up from London in my 20s to spend the week for the festival taking the bus to and from Pickering (which always reminded me of being dragged back to school on a Sunday evening).

Scarborough is cricket as it used to be (a little rough round the edges but very friendly) and long may it continue.

Monkwood
(Login Monkwood)

Scarborough

April 15 2017, 8:17 PM 

Hazy ite if you are going to the 80/90 concert won't you be about 30/40 years too late 😋

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

April 18 2017, 12:02 AM 

You could save yourselves almost the cost of a hotel room by eating at the Hungry Horse (Byways) rather than the Copper Horse!

Both are fine, in their very different ways.

Otley
(Login Otley)

April 18 2017, 1:47 PM 

I love Scarborough. As others say you can spend the day in a bubble as if still watching cricket in the good old days with no intrusion from the outside world. I first went in the mid 60s when 9. My Auntie & Uncle lived on Woodall Avenue immediately behind the ground and a stayed with them for the duration of a Championship game.

I was going through some books I "inherited" during the winter and inside Fingleton's "Brightly Fades the Don" found some photos (I think from 1934?) that my Uncle had taken of Jack Hobbs sitting in the pavilion waiting to bat, Bradman walking out to field and Woodfull leading "The Australians" out to field v. "Levison Gowers XI". The pavilion looks just the same as at present, clearly a festival game at the end of a tour. Thought I might take copies along to the Championship game in July and see if Scarborough CC would be interested in them for the pavilion bar.

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

April 18 2017, 2:14 PM 

Any chance of scanning them and sending them to me to post on Flickr? Could be breach of copyright, though, need to be careful.

Ah, just reading more closely, the photos were privately taken and loose inside the book, not part of the Fingleton book itself? No copyright issues at all, then, if they're from your family.

This message has been edited by DaveMorton on Apr 18, 2017 3:43 PM

Otley
(Login Otley)

April 18 2017, 5:36 PM 

Hi Dave
It would be a pleasure. I could bring scans to Headingley on a memory stick if you will be at the 50 over games on 1st or 3rd May or is there some way you could let me know an email address and I'll try to send them as an attachment?

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

April 18 2017, 8:29 PM 

Cheers, Otley

I might attend, more likely not. I have asked WRF if they'll send you my e-mail address privately. Let's see what happens.

[Edit: that's not possible, apparently, but I've given my e-mail address out before on this site without being deluged with abusive messages, so if you can get the photos scanned send to david.morton7@sky.com]

This message has been edited by DaveMorton on Apr 19, 2017 12:26 AM

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk