<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
(Login ThirdUmpire)

Re: England Contracted Players

April 27 2017, 12:08 PM 

Thanks Kenny. It isn't beyond the realms of possibility.

Does this explain Hamscomb keeping wicket in practice as bairstow not there too

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

April 27 2017, 3:00 PM 

Bairstow did play today, he got 60 very quickly. 90 off first 10 overs. The members handbook stated 12 noon start, so I missed the first hour as they started at 11.

Lyth, Lees, Plunkett, Willey, Leaning & Fisher also played, who could all figure in Saturdays team. Yorkshire 295 all out. 50 plus from Willey.

(Login trinity20)

April 28 2017, 9:29 AM 

From a George Dobell article on Cricinfo.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/icc-champions-trophy-2017/content/story/1094639.html

" The only time Whitaker stumbled was explaining the decision to rest Bairstow from the early rounds of the County Championship having made him available for the IPL.

"Well, that's something we have no control over," he said. "I don't know how to answer that. We are comfortable with it. I haven't thought about what sort of message it sends out." "

So if Whitaker and Strauss have no control over Bairstow's availability for Yorkshire, who does?

WR_Metcalfe
(Login WR_Metcalfe)

April 28 2017, 10:39 AM 

I read something by Nasser Hussain saying that the ECB should sign Mason Crane to a contract and loan him to another team. Utterly ridiculous, I do not agree with Hampshire's approach, but they are entitled to pick whichever team they like, within the rules. Counties are not England feeder teams.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

April 28 2017, 3:32 PM 

I am assuming Whitaker is just passing the book by inferring that the chair of selectors doesn't decide who is available and when and this is agreed by Bayliss, Farbrace and Strauss.

However, he should be made aware of the rationale behind the decision.

Otherwise he may rock up watch a county game in his role only to find the players he went to watch are in Augusta at the Masters, at the IPL, watching snooker at the Crucible or playing in the 2nd team somewhere else

(Login EastYorkshireTyke)

April 28 2017, 3:55 PM 

"Counties are not England feeder teams."

Then why do they receive payments for producing England players?

WR_Metcalfe
(Login WR_Metcalfe)

April 28 2017, 4:31 PM 

To compensate them for the loss of use of that player. To contribute towards the development costs of that player.

If the ECB ever get to the stage where they force Hampshire to pick two spinners at Headingley on the first day of the season the County Championship will just be a glorified net session.

April 28 2017, 4:53 PM 

But in this case the ECB money in "compensating" Hampshire for the likes of Alsop and Crane only to have that money go towards paying, Fidel Edwards, Rilee Roussouw, Kyle Abbott, Sean Ervine and for these two young English players sit on the sidelines.

WR_Metcalfe
(Login WR_Metcalfe)

April 28 2017, 5:23 PM 

But surely it is up to the counties to decide how to spend their money. And it is definitely up to the counties to pick their own teams.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

April 28 2017, 8:00 PM 

Sadly not. The counties are told when they can pick some players if centrally contracted.

Picking Root and Bairstow was forced on us last week resulting in Hodd and Leaning being dropped. Hodd has started to he season very well but harsh to drop him in any other circumstances.

Some counties even get centrally contracted players from other counties thrust upon them for practice and other counties cannot pick players due to overseas commitments.

I think the county payments for developing England players should only be paid if their replacements are also England qualified. Otherwise yet more money goes to overseas players in a variety of forms who cannot play for England. How is that why good for the counties feeding England's?

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

April 28 2017, 10:05 PM 

'Picking Root and Bairstow was forced on us last week resulting in Hodd and Leaning being dropped.'

I wonder in what kind of parallel universe you wouldn't want to replace two pretty average performers with two clearly much better players whenever you had the chance.

It's cricket so it's never going to be straightforward, but statistically
Root and Bairstow are head and shoulders above Leaning and Hodd.

marsker
(Login marskeman)

April 28 2017, 10:17 PM 

last weeks statistics didnt show that. Hodds average this season is far better than Bairstows.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

I'll bite

April 28 2017, 10:35 PM 

Hodd managed a 54 n.o to go with his first innings duck in the Hants game and scored 28 in his one innings in the Warks game. That's a hot streak of form by his standards.

FC Bairstow 143 matches 47.90 avg 21 centuries 51 fifties.
FC Hodd 101 matches 28.34 avg 4 centuries 18 fifties.

As an American might say, you do the math!

I like Hodd, but there is no way you could pick him in front of Bairstow.

marsker
(Login marskeman)

April 28 2017, 11:31 PM 

it was said in jest.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

April 29 2017, 8:34 AM 

And remind me of bairstows runs in the game he played?.....

My point is that the counties don't really pick the teams at all. Some selection is forced upon them repeatedly. If you overlook those with central contracts then you create a team with team spirit and known roles, batting orders, fielding roles etc.

You bring in two talented players on someone else's orders and the whole thing needs a rethink. Our keeper changed, our batting order changed, our slip cordon changed.

Continuity, stability, morale all benefit over a season. I agree on long term stats it is a no brainer. A few years back we drafted in Inzaman and Tahir at short notice too. Talented players ahead of our own home grown squad members. Didn't do us any good then either!

This message has been edited by ThirdUmpire on Apr 29, 2017 8:38 AM

April 29 2017, 10:26 AM 

Didn't seem to do us any harm when Root and Bairstow played in previous seasons.
Didn't our captain drop himself in favour of Root a few seasons ago. The same season we won the Championship?

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

April 29 2017, 12:15 PM 

Some terrible aftertiming in this thread.

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk