<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Coad

April 14 2017 at 10:46 PM
WS55  (Login WibseySimon55)

He's earned a thread of his own.

Steve asks: "Coad was accurate and successful - i dont see any magic powers in his bowling apart from accuracy and consistency but it seems to be working for him. Can anyone else explain his success...? "

It's a good question. Very early days yet, but here goes.

This is on the basis of watching just a few balls from over the top of the sightscreen at the Football Stand end last week ( ... we were lucky with the wicket used, which was right in line), and the excellent Warks live feed today (also high up, straight behind the bowler's arm): Coad's special quality seems to be that he combines (almost) Pattersonian regularity of line and length with a little bit of extra pace and an outswinger (to the righthander) that both moves the ball more than Patto does, and that varies in movement in ways that the batsmen find difficult to pick in a bowler they have not met before.

LBW decisions, slip catches, and frustrated batsmen striking him in the air to covers/midoff are the consequence.

That's my (very preliminary) take. Anyone else have thoughts?

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Idle man
(Login Idle_man)

Re: Coad

April 14 2017, 11:34 PM 

He's tall isn't he ? Bit of bounce?

Pyrahtechnics
(Login Pyrahtechnics)

April 15 2017, 12:30 AM 

Considering how poor Coad bowled in the Roses T20 (barely got above 70mph and floated the ball wide of off-stump) it is remarkable how dangerous he was against Hampshire.

Coad has a little bit of Mitchell Starc about him - a gentle, gliding run up and generates pace at the point of delivery, extracting late movement. It would be good to see Sidebottom and Coad share the new ball in favourable conditions before the former retires.

I'd be interested to see how Coad fares with the old ball and possibly the pink ball during dusk, because he has potential to extract reverse swing.

Steve C
(Login stevecowton)
Assistant Moderator

April 15 2017, 12:28 PM 

Thats very helpful - i think hes also a little faster than he looks on the basis of his run up.
He s a fit young man. He needs to to bulk up a bit to make himself stronger....

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

April 15 2017, 12:53 PM 

Can not really leave him out now, when Siddy & Brooks are fit. So Patto`s place looks in jeopardy (cue howls of rage from the NLOP club members). I have discounted Plunkett & Willey, as they will be away with England for most of the rest of the season. My 4 seamers for the CC (when all fit) would be Coad, Bresnan, Siddy & Brooks.

This message has been edited by StuartRA on Apr 15, 2017 1:20 PM

JG
(Login _JG_)

April 15 2017, 1:11 PM 

Don't see the Starc comparison at all: Starc is much taller, much quicker and much more erratic. From what I've seen of Coad I'd say he's more in the Hazlewood/ Siddle mould, or a quicker Patto.

Idle man
(Login Idle_man)

April 15 2017, 2:36 PM 

'A quicker Patto' would probably be an international. NLOP don't do 'howls of rage'. Membership rules require adherence to the man's own standards of quiet persistence. The origins, I think, lay in a feeling that the importance of his role was not always being appreciated alongside those of more dramatic performers. It's about a role and type of contribution, as much as an individual. If - and it's not clear yet - someone else can do it better, fine .

Dave
(Login davidgeoffrey)

April 15 2017, 7:34 PM 

With 13 wickets at around 14 a piece and SR under 30 in the CC so far I don't care how he bowls .... just so long as he keeps taking wickets !!

Dave

ps he has taken exactly 50% of our wickets in the CC to date ! ( 13 out of 26 )

This message has been edited by davidgeoffrey on Apr 15, 2017 7:37 PM

WS55
(Login WibseySimon55)

April 15 2017, 10:14 PM 

Idle Man, he doesn't seem particularly tall, nor very well-built. His success is all the more remarkable.

Fast run up (not too long), no check to his pace at point of delivery, fluent action, bowls very side on and close to the stumps. That suggests that he has been very well coached (and takes notice of coaching!) in addition to whatever natural talent and abilities he has.

He may have half our wickets, but it's still early days. One swallow doesn't make a summer, an' all that.

Idle man
(Login Idle_man)

April 15 2017, 11:58 PM 

Thanks, that's interesting.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

April 16 2017, 9:29 AM 

Coad should be left in the team for as long as he is being effective. If that means he plays every game this season then fine, I'm sure the work will do him good.

We have plenty of other bowlers who actually need to be rested, and that includes Patterson.

(Login seenemgiven)

April 16 2017, 6:42 PM 

Is he any good at the one-day stuff?

JG
(Login _JG_)

April 16 2017, 6:50 PM 

He wasn't last year, but I would suggest that's he's a rather better bowler now than he was then...

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

April 16 2017, 7:28 PM 

I thought he looked to have something in white ball last year, admittedly without much success.

Appeared to be a thinking bowler ready to throw in the short ball or slower ball to mix things up. He didn't quite have the skill to pull it off but he is a year older and hopefully wiser and these two matches are going to do his confidence no end of good.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

April 17 2017, 2:04 PM 

So does he have the nickname of Morse or da Vinci?

JG
(Login _JG_)

April 17 2017, 2:27 PM 

Going by the usual imagination shown in sporting nicknames, it'll almost certainly be Coady.

Dewsburian
(Login Dewsburian)

April 17 2017, 3:27 PM 

Perhaps, based on Steve's original post here, they could call him "Enigma".

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

April 17 2017, 4:04 PM 

I have seen him as the new-model Patto for a couple of years now. All that's happened this year is a yard extra pace, plus the normal increase in maturity and experience. Saturday's Times compared him with Jimmy Anderson!

So, what we've got is a tall(ish) 6'2" bowler of medium-fast or fast-medium pace*, who bowls with a simple, high action, at a slightly fuller length than Patto. The Times commented that he gets close to the stumps, hence the Anderson comparison, and he does enough with it to find the edge. And when they miss, he hits. Like Patto, he looks as though he can bowl all day.

It has been lovely to watch him these last two games. Wonderful that the YCCC coaches could see the ability and encourage and develop it, given the skinny little kid they had to work with, initially; wonderful that Ben himself has worked at his strength and his skills.

He cannot go on achieving figures like this. Luck will run out, batsmen will wise up, pitches will get better for batting. But it's one hell of a start!

NLOC.

[*Tony Cronshaw, who sits in the rugby stand at Headingley, will explain the difference.]

Idle man
(Login Idle_man)

April 17 2017, 4:28 PM 

The fantasy comparison I keep making is Glenn McGrath.

WS55
(Login WibseySimon55)

April 17 2017, 4:52 PM 

Was McGrath ever a skinny kid?
I think this is indeed a fantasy IM!

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk