<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Rashid

April 15 2017 at 9:06 PM
Lew  (Login Lewis_116)

We talk a about our best line up but I genuinely think our most important "regularish" players are clearly Bresnan but also Rashid.

He offers a safe spin option we clearly don't have and his batting offers great balance in the 11.

I have often said I do not consider Hodd a enough batting keeper to be a permanent fixture, however Rashid eases than burden. Hodd at 8 is good depth with Rashid infront of him.

6/7/8 are where you really win and lose matches in the CC. From Woakes to Barker to Bresnan to Raynor these players are vital.

We will lose him soon to England. Ironically, he hasn't impressed me recently for England. As much as I hope he makes it, the continued development of exciting youngsters such as Crane, Livingstone and Leach could force him back to Yorkshire.

This would obviously be huge for us.

Without him, I don't think we will win the CC.

This message has been edited by Lewis_116 on Apr 15, 2017 9:09 PM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
(Login ThirdUmpire)

Re: Rashid

April 16 2017, 9:27 AM 

Your last line is a painful reminder of the last game of last season....

Steve C
(Login stevecowton)
Assistant Moderator

April 16 2017, 11:06 AM 

Which seems to have been forgotten about altogether...
I wonder if the club ever got a satisfactory explanation from him....?

Joe
(Login Backward_Point)

April 16 2017, 11:22 AM 

Absolutely agree about the importance of our all rounders.

It really does transform our side when we can have Rashid, Bresnan (and Bairstow) in that middle order. Last week's long tail did not look worthy of a team in contention of the title, this week it is transformed. With Plunkett in the line up one could envision a line up in which Patto is our number 11.

Although I follow England's fortunes, I'm very happy if England choose non Yorkshire players. The difference between having full use of Bairstow, Rashid and Root all season could be the difference between the title and not.

JG
(Login _JG_)

April 16 2017, 11:54 AM 

Crane's not getting much chance for development seen as Hampshire are happy to rely on Dawson's left arm darts as their spin option at present...

Agree about the importance of Rashid, ideally we need at least two of our three all-rounders (the third being Bairstow) to balance the side.

Brian
(Login NewBrian)

April 17 2017, 9:32 PM 

What a difference Rashid made to the side v Warwicks - the batting looks so much more solid and there's another front-line bowling option. He really does look if he's approaching maturity now. At last, some might say.

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

April 17 2017, 9:50 PM 

Rash was full of bounce at Edgbaston, in the field, with the ball, with the bat. He gives the team so much, and so much that is unique to him.

Late last season, he was looking down in the dumps, not at ease, and I think he had just had enough when he pulled out. I don't think he would have done us any good anyway. Time to forget it. How many of us have worked at one job for 12 years and never got pee'ed off or thrown a tantrum? That's one little minus to set alongside a thousand pluses.

Adil Rashid, Yorkshire's most entertaining cricketer since Johnny Wardle!

(Login matthefish2002)

April 18 2017, 8:48 AM 

Thought Rashid was excellent from what I saw if him at Edgbaston.
Such a wristy stroke player when batting and really good to watch.
Always get the impression he is a bit of a confidence player.

(Login BrickyardBoy)

April 18 2017, 10:24 AM 

So good to read Dave Morton's appreciative assessment of Adil Rashid.

Too often, it sometimes seems, he is reviewed negatively; his bowling is not accurate enough or his batting isn't responsible enough, or he somehow lacks maturity, or he really isn't "top flight". It sometimes seems as though his immense contribution is not valued by some commentators. Ever since first coming into the Yorkshire side he has gone about his work quietly and with a maturity beyond his years, most evidently so in the field where his dependability is a bye-word. I cannot think of a better fielder who, so deliberately, did not attract attention and seek acclaim.

And then there was the inexplicable situation at Lord's last season, about which I will be very surprised if the details are ever made public.

To me Adil is a genius; a flawed genius, but never-the-less a genius. Against that, show me the human being who does not have some flaws, because I have never met him or her.

Adil is a character and I, for one, like characters; they are worth observing. Do so whilst you can. His type do not tread past very often.

Martin
(Login Martinh00)

April 18 2017, 10:31 AM 

Worth remembering that Adil is still a few months younger than Graeme Swann when he made is Test Match debut. Time is still on his side.

Dewsburian
(Login Dewsburian)

April 18 2017, 11:09 AM 

Adil looked more confident at Edgbaston than I've seen him for many years, both with ball and bat. He bowled one bad ball in the entire game, when a different sort of front-of-the-hand delivery (perhaps a "flipper") didn't come out right and nearly bounced twice. Fortunately, it was to OHD who did nothing with it. The googly that got Jeetan Patel must be an early candidate for ball of the season. His batting was a delight.
There wasn't a hint of any animosity with the rest of the team. I still wonder if he didn't get a phone call from the ECB before the Middlesex game telling him (you need a Bronx mafia accent for this bit): of course it will be quite alright for you to play at Lord's ahead of the winter tour, but there are a lot of good young spinners about who are willing to rest themselves etc. If only that notion sounded more far-fetched: someone told me last year (and it may have been Idle Man at Cheltenham) that after Andrew Gale pulled out of a Lions match, he was never contacted again by anyone in the England set-up. The Gale story may be hearsay (and it may be untrue, though obviously not if Idle Man told it), but accounts by the likes of Michael Carberry make it only too plausible.

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

April 18 2017, 11:29 AM 

My Edgbaston photos are nearly done, and they will show him in action to good effect. I have chosen the one of Patel being bowled as the Album title - partly because it fits the square thumbnail nicely, and also because I made Ben Coad the main subject last time.

Idle man
(Login Idle_man)

April 18 2017, 12:16 PM 

Not me Dewsburian - the source of the. Gale story- but Ian Dews at a lunch in October hinted there was more to the whole Rashid business and that the ECB had been involved.

This message has been edited by Idle_man on Apr 18, 2017 12:19 PM

Dewsburian
(Login Dewsburian)

April 18 2017, 1:34 PM 

Thanks for the clarification, IM. I'm pretty sure, in that case, that it was a stray Yorkshire supporter at a Worcestershire game last July, someone who used to post on the Corridor of Uncertainty, I think. Anyway, it was neither a cast-iron source nor a notably unreliable one and I'm inclined, on balance, to believe it.
"ECB involvement" in the Rashid decision would seem to confirm my suspicions. I can't decide whether I feel better or worse about that. Probably a bit of both.
Unlike Steve C., I'm not quite resigned to losing the added level of interest that comes from the County Championship table (as a measure of attainment, rather than a reflection of random factors). Last summer, on the way down to Brighton, I watched a women's T20 at Guildford (v Lancs) without having a clue where the two teams stood in the table, and then saw an England U19 game at the Getty ground on the way back without knowing how the series stood, so I'm not addicted to competition, but I don't want to lose it either, especially where there's a long and colourful tradition.

JG
(Login _JG_)

April 18 2017, 6:47 PM 

I agree that Rashid perhaps comes in for more stern criticism than others on this board and elsewhere, but I would suggest that is as he's seen as more talented than other players rather than for any other reasons. It's the same story with Lyth: both make the game look so easy when on song, in comparison to the likes of Ballance, Bresnan, Patterson who always look like they're working hard, that when they fail it can look like it's for lack of effort when of course it isn't.

Re: the Gale story, in the Bresnan article linked here the other day Tim describes turning down a place on a Lions winter tour and then being picked for the first Test of the following summer; I don't think England are daft enough to write off good players for such silly reasons, it's more likely that Gale wasn't called up again because he is wasn't good enough.

This message has been edited by _JG_ on Apr 18, 2017 6:48 PM

(Login ThirdUmpire)

April 18 2017, 7:39 PM 

I suspect Gale may have some points or part of a suspended sentence hanging over him from past misdemeanours and as a new coach he needs to bite his tongue more than ever when it comes to slating the ECB.

As he cannot be suspended f on playing then we would no doubt be hammered with a points deduction instead

Pyrahtechnics
(Login Pyrahtechnics)

April 18 2017, 9:11 PM 

A sporting team receiving a points deduction because a head coach publicly criticises a sporting body? I would imagine if Gale said something flammable any punishment would be issued towards the individual with possible legal action and not against the team.

Dewsburian
(Login Dewsburian)

April 18 2017, 10:35 PM 

I imagine even the ECB would be hard pressed to justify a penalty against someone who merely expressed "disappointment" at one of their decisions.
Now that the ECB has been restructured, I suspect there will actually be more genuine conflict with the leading counties. At some point, the test-match counties are probably going to have to band together and fight for some degree of financial bail-out to cope with their enforced unrealistic debt. If they don't do that together (and Warwickshire's situation on this is probably even worse than Yorkshire's), they'll individually suffer the fate of Durham - or worse.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

April 19 2017, 8:31 AM 

But the ecb seem to make up the rules and penalties as they go on. Player availability, suspensions, points deductions....

I am sure they would happily penalise Yorkshire if Gale was to go further with his expressed disappointment as a match ban would be meaningless. I'm not saying his current comments warrant this at all but pointing out the dangers of him going further in view of his previous misdemeanours and the randomness of ecb decision making.

Dewsburian
(Login Dewsburian)

April 19 2017, 10:11 AM 

I must confess that I panicked for a moment when I saw Gale had commented on the Bairstow situation, but on reflection we won't get anywhere by being faint-hearted. At some point the counties have to stand up to the ECB (for reasons of financial survival, if nothing else) and they might as well start doing it on an issue that commands the support of their members.

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk