<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Championship | Warwickshire vs Yorkshire at Birmingham (Day 4)

April 17 2017 at 3:44 AM

WRF  (Premier Login AlexRoberts)
Owner

Apr 14-17, 2017 - at Edgbaston, Birmingham

Warwickshire 178 & 85-9 (34 overs) Yorkshire 381
Warwickshire trail by 118 runs with 1 wicket remaining

Live Scorecard
Live Commentary
Live Streaming
Edgbaston Weather

STATISTICAL NOTE: This will be Yorkshire's 1,200th Championship win since the modern County Championship was established in 1890.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
David in Morley
(Login DavidinMorley)

Re: Championship | Warwickshire vs Yorkshire at Birmingham (Day 4)

April 17 2017, 8:38 AM 

Could be the shortest day ever, maybe one ball.

Suspected paying attendance: nil!

JG
(Login _JG_)

April 17 2017, 10:26 AM 

Considering​ Warks are letting everyone in free, I think you're quite safe with that guess!

Looks dry at Edgbaston at the moment at least...

David in Morley
(Login DavidinMorley)

April 17 2017, 10:28 AM 

I like your use of the word "everyone"!

WS55
(Login WibseySimon55)

April 17 2017, 11:05 AM 

7 runs off the first over. Warwickshire are running away with it.

WR_Metcalfe
(Login WR_Metcalfe)

April 17 2017, 11:05 AM 

It's a bit of a challenge getting the BBC commentry and Youtube stream synced up

Jay
(Login overman8)

April 17 2017, 11:21 AM 

Patel always seems to play a decent innings against us.

JG
(Login _JG_)

April 17 2017, 11:35 AM 

Sealed it now. I half-wanted Yorkshire to get the final wicket with the second or third ball this morning to make the situation more absurd that it already was, but at least 'everyone' who attended got half an hour of cricket to watch.

Excellent win anyway: let's hope for good weather and a result pitch at Hampshire next week which we can hopefully take advantage of with our close to full strength team.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

April 17 2017, 11:36 AM 

Same old Warwickshire - nothing from the top 5, then the bottom 6 fight hard and get the bulk of their runs.

Alibor
(Login Alibor2)

April 17 2017, 11:40 AM 

Well done Adil, nice ball. Is that us in our rightful place in the table now? An excellent all round performance.

WS55
(Login WibseySimon55)

April 17 2017, 11:43 AM 

Stu, I think their no. 8 and 9 batsmen got half their runs in the whole match!

Deeply satisfying result for Yorkshire. Outplayed them completely.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

April 17 2017, 11:44 AM 

I knew nothing could possibly go wrong but it's a relief now it's won.

Congratulations to the whole team on a brilliant performance.

A good weather forecast might even tempt me to Southampton now.

WS55
(Login WibseySimon55)

April 17 2017, 11:53 AM 

We're top of the table this morning for the first time this year (BBC have it right, Cricinfo can't add up for the moment) -- and hopefully not the last. Surrey will be level on points with us if they draw with Lancs (likely), and Hampshire top if they beat Mddx today (possible).

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

April 17 2017, 12:04 PM 

Hampshire are looking good and remember they have Bailey & Topley to return soon. Abbott & Roussow look excellent signings all though, IMO, morally wrong. I like teams that develop their own players, or at least try to.

JG
(Login _JG_)

April 17 2017, 12:50 PM 

Hants definitely look to have improved but let's not forget that this is a side that had won only 6 games in the last two seasons combined. Abbott is a great addition and Topley looks an excellent prospect when fit but I'm not convinced that Berg and Edwards are the basis of a Championship winning bowling attack.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

April 17 2017, 2:00 PM 

Good comeback but not sure how we get Root and Bairstow into the team plus potential for some of the injured seamers to be fit too.

Leaning I presume and Hodd will make way for the first two but harsh on Hodd and a lesson to England that if you force us to keep picking our reserve keeper whilst you don't let the first choice play then when Bairstow is allowed to play we may decide he doesn't keep wicket if we feel Hodd is deserving of keeping his place in the team. I suppose Strauss would then get Bairstow out on loan to play for another county instead.

Warwickshire are woeful and must be favourites for the drop in the first two games. Poor leader, no home grown talent, ageing side, players leaving. Not sure what Giles plans to do to turn it aroubd

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

April 17 2017, 2:25 PM 

Not sure that Root & Barstow will score any more runs than the two left out. Neither of them have played red ball or 4 day cricket since December, so very unlikely to be in form.

JG
(Login _JG_)

April 17 2017, 2:30 PM 

They might not have played very much recently but they're world class batsmen. Cook's last FC appearance was back in December but that didn't seem to do him much harm this week.

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

April 17 2017, 3:42 PM 

I stayed overnight in Brum, but returned home this morning without attending the match; it was raining when I left around 10 am, so I was relieved to hear radio 5 announce we'd won.

Terrific all-round performance, to which everyone contributed, pretty well. Coad was outstanding, obviously, with accuracy, movement and bounce at a decent enough pace. Willey swung the ball at the start of the second innings, and immediately looked dangerous, too, which he hadn't in the first. Brezzy and Patto chipped in with the odd needed wicket, and Rashid, too - very tidy.

The batting - as a unit - was outstanding. Warwickshire bowled well, make no mistake, but almost everyone got a start. Handscomb batted beautifully, expanding from a careful start, and Bresnan and Rashid were able to attack from the base that he, Lees, Ballance and Leaning built.

Just a thought about form and luck. Hannon-Dalby got Ballance with a jaffa, first ball of an over. Bresnan was then beaten all ends up by each of the next four, before raising applause by blocking the sixth. If he had been out at this point we would have had the too-high-at-six brigade moaning again. But he survived and went on to play an important innings, full of the familiar solid, no nonsense shots.

Rashid's knock was a delight, full of gorgeous, wristy, inventive strokes. Hodd was excellent also, and Willey looked good at 9, with two beautiful cover drives.

The Warwicks 2nd innings was fantasy stuff: 7 for 5 in County Cricket! Coad found one for Bell which lifted from a length. I think we would have settled for 4 wickets down overnight, given the weather on Sunday, but Coad and Co gave us far more than that.

Brilliant game, despite the freezing temperatures throughout. Will start on the photos when I get bored with the rugby league on TV, which won't take long!

Idle man
(Login Idle_man)

April 17 2017, 3:56 PM 

Wow DM, that's a beautiful write up.

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk