<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

CHAMPIONSHIP l Hampshire vs Yorkshire at Southampton (Pre-match Thread)

April 17 2017 at 12:33 PM
Gavin Gray  (Login yorkie1863)

Hi all,
My team for next week;
Lyth, Lees, Root, Handcomb, Ballance,Bairstow, Bresnan, Rashid, Willey, Patto/Plunkett if fully fit and Coad.

I would drop Patto if Plunkett is fully fit. This is no reflection on Patto as i do rate him highly.

This message has been edited by AlexRoberts on Apr 18, 2017 11:46 PM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Thomas
(Login YorkshireAllOver)

Re: Team for Hampshire match?

April 17 2017, 12:35 PM 

I would definitely keep Patto in and not change the bowling attack unless Sidebottom is fit (which I don't think will be the case) in which case he'd come in for Willey

Not a bad number 6 to have

JG
(Login _JG_)

April 17 2017, 12:51 PM 

Root for Leaning, Bairstow for Hodd: no need to change the rest.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

April 17 2017, 12:56 PM 

Depends who is fit to return, but no way can you leave Coad out. As well as his wicket taking ability, he also has a better economy rate than Patto.

Lew
(Login Lewis_116)

April 17 2017, 1:35 PM 

Lyth Lees Handscomb Root Ballance C Bairstow WK Bresnan Rashid Willey Patterson Coad

Would rather not upset the positions of our top order hence leaving Handscomb at 3. That said you can't play Root at 5 so Ballance drops down a place.

Not a bad looking team...

I wouldn't change any of the bowling. That attack was outstanding against Warwickshire in their own back yard.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

April 17 2017, 2:03 PM 

I'm with Lews team but perhaps not his batting order.

Root should be 3 and Bairstow 5 with Handscomb in between and the skipper at 6.

Harsh on Hodd who has done nowt wrong.

Too early to mess with the bowlers although Plunkett won't have been seen by them in the first game so could be a surprise.

JG
(Login _JG_)

April 17 2017, 2:26 PM 

I agree with both Lew's team and his batting order.

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

April 17 2017, 2:30 PM 

Very hard to see how they won't go with Lew's team. Plunkett is an outside bet to come in if fit, but only if Bresnan were to have a niggle.

WS55
(Login WibseySimon55)

April 17 2017, 2:53 PM 

Rest Bairstow. Hope he then fails for England from lack of match practice. He must be jet-lagged anyway, and exhausted from all that golf-watching.

Idle man
(Login Idle_man)

April 17 2017, 3:52 PM 

Handscomb is going to have to bat 3 on a regular basis. Don't disturb that in order to provide the ECB's required net practice.

(Login EastYorkshireTyke)

April 17 2017, 5:10 PM 

Lyth
Lees
Handscomb
Root
Ballance
Bairstow
Bresnan
Rashid
Willey
Patterson
Coad

Leg Glance
(Login legglance)

April 17 2017, 6:43 PM 

"Rest Bairstow."

That would have a certain irony particularly after entering Lords on the last day last season to see Jonny filming a promotional video for the ECB. Talk about rubbing salt in the wound.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

April 17 2017, 7:29 PM 

Can't argue with Lew's team and his batting order.

Reassuring to have the class of Root and Bairstow to bring into the team but don't mess with the batting order.

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

April 17 2017, 8:06 PM 

Dear Rash, dear Brezzy

Come to Edgbaston and you can bat 3 and 4 and you won't have to bowl at all, if you don't want to.

Best wishes
Uncle Ashley

(Login ThirdUmpire)

April 17 2017, 8:42 PM 

So we have the luxury of the top two test run scorers in 2016 and we bat them at 4 and 6 in favour of a bloke dropped from the test side?

(Login EastYorkshireTyke)

April 17 2017, 9:16 PM 

Not sure the point you're making there but it best suits Yorkshire to bat Root and Bairstow at 4 & 6 in my opinion.

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

April 17 2017, 9:34 PM 

Club players might see the batting order as a contest, or a pecking order. One would hope that Yorkshire will be more professional than that, and chose a line-up that maximises the incredible talent available.

Historically (about 3 years ago) we had Lyth and Lees, with Root at 3, Gale 4, Bairstow 5, Ballance 6, Rashid 7, Bresnan 8. When there was an overseas batsman to fit in, and all were available, Gale dropped himself, on one occasion, anyway.

Surely, this time, Root and Handscomb will be at 3 and 4, either way round, as they see fit. Ballance and Bairstow will be 5 and 6, unless it's thought that Ballance at 4 and Handscomb at 5 is better. Rash and Brezzy will be 7 and 8, either way. If Heineken did 7s and 8s.....

All these combinations work. Ballance was great at 6 because he was so good batting with the tail, what little there was (and is) of it, but it's not like a club game, or a limited overs game, where the 7 and 8 don't get a proper bat. Mr Abbott will make sure of that.

Whatever they come up with will be okay, unless they have a brain-freeze and bat Ballance at 3, as England did. I wish I was going, but I'm off to Old Trafford to watch Tres and Shiv.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

April 17 2017, 9:51 PM 

Yes it may best suit Yorkshire with the season ahead in mind but the ecb may intervene and dictate. Frankly I find the idea of Bairstow at 6 absurd although Root may bat where he thinks he might bat for England when skipper

Dewsburian
(Login Dewsburian)

April 18 2017, 11:21 AM 

On Bairstow, just a tiny note from Edgbaston. I sat in various parts of the ground and with various mixes of Yorkshire and Warwickshire supporters over the three + days. Seven or eight Warwickshire supporters, but absolutely zero Yorkshire supporters mentioned how sad/annoyed they were that Bairstow wasn't playing. I think the - fairly noble - attitude was: if we can't win, let's at least have some top-class entertainment.
Comment of the week for me was from a man in the David Heath Suite late on the second day: "We're going to lose this by an innnings and this is only their second team we're playing!" Mind you, the same bloke thought English football would be better, post-Brexit, with "no foreign players" (sic), so his grasp on reality may have been quite loose.

(Login dswithy)

Re: CHAMPIONSHIP l Hampshire vs Yorkshire at Southampton (Pre-match Thread)

April 19 2017, 11:58 AM 

Bairstow definitely keeping on Friday been practicing for almost 30 mins today at headingley!

< Previous Page 1 2 3 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk