<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Gavin Gray
(Login yorkie1863)

Re: CHAMPIONSHIP l Hampshire vs Yorkshire at Southampton (Pre-match Thread)

April 19 2017, 12:18 PM 

Better keep Bairstows' practice quiet or the ECB will want to rest him.

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

April 19 2017, 12:27 PM 

A shame that Hodd, who has batted and kept so well, should be left out for someone without any form behind him.

Leaning is playing for the 2s currently. He, Tattersall and Rhodes all made half centuries yesterday, but Read is the wicket-keeper, not Hodd, so read into this what you wish! Rafiq, Fisher and Shaw all playing.

Alex
(Premier Login AlexRoberts)
Owner

Babies grown up all wrong...she's come on too strong

April 19 2017, 12:50 PM 

One of the several negative effects of central contracts is the knock on effect this bizarre system has on the stability and composition of county sides. The seemingly random rules and arbitrary decisions about who rests and who plays, makes stocking and maintaining a match-ready county side very difficult. It essentially rewards mediocrity.

Central Contracts have an effect both on performance and team morale. What with parachuting in players who haven't played in months, and have no form by which to make intelligent sport-related judgements. Whereas solid team players (Hodd) and performers suddenly find themselves dropped for an ECB-mandated player, who often has no form to judge by, and who may have spent his time off "resting" in flying to a golf competition in the US.

Sorry if I appear cynical, but the ECB and its contract system is damaging the very fabric of county game, and in my opinion it's time cricket fans made their thoughts known.

Sorry about the Rolling Stones' reference, but the ECB is essentially out of control.

This message has been edited by AlexRoberts on Apr 19, 2017 12:52 PM

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

April 19 2017, 1:00 PM 

It is one of my worries. Are Root & Bairstow definately going to score more runs than the two players left out, when neither of them have played any red ball or 4 day cricket for 4 months. They may do, of course, as they are both class players, but it can not be guaranteed. We may end up with less runs, but really hope I am wrong!!!

Dewsburian
(Login Dewsburian)

April 19 2017, 1:42 PM 

Nothing is guaranteed in cricket. But the last time Bairstow had a long rest at the beginning of a county season he came back into the team for 9 matches, during which he scored 1,108 runs in 15 innings at an average of 92.33. So, while there is plenty to worry about in today's slightly mad world, I won't be losing any sleep on that particular issue.

(Login dpressed)

April 19 2017, 1:44 PM 

I do find it interesting that both Bairstow & Root have been 'seen' at Headingley during matches when they aren't allowed to play for us.

Idle man
(Login Idle_man)

April 19 2017, 1:45 PM 

I know and agree. However in all honesty, if Joe and JB were our players and had just recovered from weeks of injury, we'd want them back in the side asap, practice or not. Sorry for Hodd, but he knew the situation when he joined us.

Gavin Gray
(Login yorkie1863)

April 19 2017, 1:48 PM 

Well i suppose we could always tell the ECB to get stuffed and not pick our England players. Mind you if we did that they would probably be turning out for Middlesex.

Dewsburian
(Login Dewsburian)

April 19 2017, 2:33 PM 

For the Hampshire match, Yorkshire should have Lyth, Lees, Handscomb, Root, Bairstow and Ballance available. If Andrew Gale believes Andrew Hodd would score more runs than any of those players, I sincerely hope he will select him.
It has been the case for some years now that the ECB has wanted to own all the players in the CC and treat the best of them as Team England players only. The stated aim was to achieve the best performance in test cricket. There has been a shift in the last two years and the aim seems to have become to achieve the best performance in T20. This is the only possible explanation for the ruling on Bairstow, Woakes, Stokes et al. It is fairly clear that the players not taken up by the IPL were never going to be released to play CC.
The problem with this is that, if the ECB moves away from a commitment to test cricket, the entire financial strategy of the test-match counties could collapse. If the new "cash cow" is not to be test cricket, but a city-based T20 competition, it isn't at all certain how the income from that will be distributed: the counties may just be offered a small fee to lease their grounds out for a day. In that case, the likes of Yorkshire and Warwickshire certainly, and possibly Lancashire, would never be able to repay the loans they took out for ground development. In the case of Glamorgan, the local council and an Irish bank wrote down very large loans by 70%, since the alternative was to bankrupt the county club and get nothing. The ECB, which has enormous reserves, could use them to pay off the loans it forced on the test-match counties through the bidding structure, but I don't think that's going to happen. After all, they could have compensated the Cardiff local authority, but they don't seem to have chosen to do so. If the counties were to become marginalized (as a sort of Ranji Trophy to the IPL), then some counties could presumably be allowed to go bankrupt or do a deal with their creditors, which, from a cynical standpoint, would be win-win for the ECB.
These financial realities are already making it difficult for the test-match counties to plan rationally. Yorkshire's prioritizing of mostly home-grown players is one possible route to CC success and Hampshire's policy of recruiting half the South Africa A team is another. Both are reasonable responses to a random and irrational environment. Personally, I find it all a bit of a mess. To his credit, Andrew Hodd seems to be someone who has embraced an element of randomness and irrationality in his cricketing career and he has two championship medals to show for it. I'm inclined to feel grateful to him for his apparently rather classy attitude.

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

April 19 2017, 3:12 PM 

One thing that is noticeable about Hodd is how extremely popular he seems to be with the other players. Every dressing room needs blokes like him around, Jason Gillespie said much the same about him last season.

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

April 19 2017, 7:45 PM 

I hope I didn't need to use a smiley happy.gif to accompany my Hodd remark.

But yes, he is a bubbly, positive sort of bloke. I met him, briefly, in Abu Dhabi and he comes across socially just as he does on the field. They like him, he's good for team spirit, and he has started off the season keeping as well as I've seen him, and batting nicely, too.

Bairstow is something else entirely, as I'm sure we all recognise. And no less bubbly, etc.

Hodd and Leaning will not be concerned about their temporary demotion.

Alibor
(Login Alibor2)

April 19 2017, 10:23 PM 

Team pretty well picks itself - would not disturb 5 bowlers from previous game, if all are fit. Also with cloud likely on Friday but then more sunny next two days, we should take uncontested toss, insert them and try to gain ascendancy from the outset.

ian
(Login Royalnavy)

April 20 2017, 9:56 AM 

its cloudy and cold down here right now for anyone coming, its been lovely and sunny for the past few days (still cold) with very little rain if any at all over the last 2 weeks.

put them in maybe and look to utilise that bit of help in the pitch. The track at Hampshire is no longer the minefield of old however and it usually plays quite well. lets hope its not 500 plays 500 again! i reckon id have got runs in that one happy.gif

id play

Lyth, Lees, Root, Handscomb, Ballance, Bairstow, Bresnan, Rashid, Willey, Patto, Coad.

If Plunkett is fit as some have mentioned then id maybe leave out willey. Depends if they think it will swing sideways however.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

April 20 2017, 10:01 AM 

According to the YEP, Plunkett is not fit, but will be for our first 50 over match on the 29th. Siddy & Brooks should be back for the Lancashire CC match in May (our next CC match after Hampshire).

Strange with Plunkett & Siddy. They both got injured 4 weeks ago and were both initially going to be out for 2 weeks, now it is still 4 weeks away for Siddy and another week still for Liam.

This message has been edited by StuartRA on Apr 20, 2017 10:02 AM

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

April 20 2017, 10:09 AM 

And wasn't Plunkett hit on the calf at net practice with the MCC? It must have been one hell of a blow, and a bit of an indictment of net safety procedures.

(Login WR_Metcalfe)

April 20 2017, 10:45 AM 

13 man squad announced.https://yorkshireccc.com/news/view/5553/yorkshire-informer-hampshire-v-yorkshire-county-cricket-club
I'd expect: Lyth, Lees, Root, Ballance c, Bairstow wk, Handscomb, Bresnan, Rashid, Willey, Patterson, Coad. With Fisher and Rafiq to miss out.

This message has been edited by WR_Metcalfe on Apr 20, 2017 11:11 AM

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

April 20 2017, 2:22 PM 

Nothing on the Hampshire web-site re team news, but our OS states Roussow & Edwards are missing injured.

On the Hampshire web-site, Topley is playing for their seconds this week, so unlikely to be back and Abbott is listed as an all-rounder? A somewhat dubious claim!! Abbotts current fc average is 16.77, Pattos is 16.28. Patto obviously an all-rounder as well!!

Bailey, their official overseas player could replace Roussow, so they still could be very strong.

They are not a bad side, and definately not living up to the bookies favourite for relegation tag judged on results so far this season. This will be another tough match for us. We are still missing two or three of our better bowlers even though our batting should be, on paper, a lot stronger.

This message has been edited by StuartRA on Apr 20, 2017 2:46 PM

Martin
(Login Martinh00)

April 20 2017, 3:09 PM 

"We are still missing two or three of our better bowlers"

I guess we are on paper, but if Willey continues to improve in this game and Patto is at his best, our "better" bowlers might be in for a disappointment when they return to fitness. It is certainly the case that only one or at a pinch two of Plunkett, Sidebottom, Brooks and Fisher seem likely to come straight back into the team.

The easy thing is to say "Brooks must play" (substitute names accordingly). The hard part is saying who they replace! Looking forward to the debate on this thread on this forum when all of our seamers are fit!

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

April 20 2017, 3:23 PM 

Hampshire squad

Jimmy Adams (4)
James Vince (14) Captain
Reece Topley (6)
Michael Carberry (15)
Sean Ervine (7)
Lewis McManus (18)
Liam Dawson (8)
Mason Crane (32)
Tom Alsop (9)
Brad Wheal (58)
Gareth Berg (13)
Kyle Abbott (87)

Looks like Topley will be playing as a replacement for Edwards, and Alsop for Roussow.

(Login EastYorkshireTyke)

April 20 2017, 3:23 PM 

I see the "Rod Bransgrove International Select XI" are missing a couple of their first choice players trough injury, which means they'll be down to about 5 non English qualified players for this game!!!

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk