<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

The Spin (The Guardian)

April 19 2017 at 8:48 PM
Sid  (Login sid-don)
Assistant Moderator

I love 'The Spin' from the Guardian. If you haven't checked it out, I'd highly recommend you do.

Link attached to the latest edition, which is a love letter to the county championship. I particularly like this quote they've found:

Championship cricket sometimes feels like sport’s contribution to the slow movement, described by Carl Honoré in his book In Praise of Slowness. “A cultural revolution against the notion that faster is always better. The Slow philosophy is not about doing everything at a snail’s pace. It’s about seeking to do everything at the right speed. Savouring the hours and minutes rather than just counting them.” In sport, there is nothing else quite like it.

Full articlehttps://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/apr/18/the-spin-county-cricket-slow-movement

I think a small fight back against T20 and in favour of multi day county cricket is underway. Wishful thinking but you have to have some degree of optimism.

This message has been edited by sid-don on Apr 19, 2017 8:49 PM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Tyke1950
(Login Tyke1950)

Re: The Spin (The Guardian)

April 20 2017, 7:19 AM 

Duncan Hamilton's little book called 'The Kings of Summer' is another love letter to the County Championship. It seems there are more suitors than the ECB is prepared to concede.

If you've not come across it, Hamilton's new book (very short and very sweet) concerns itself with the last match of last season. He squeezed in this little effort whilst writing a biography of Neville Cardus. The literary influence of the great Lancastrian shows in Hamilton's own writing. I thoroughly recommend it.

JG
(Login _JG_)

April 20 2017, 6:55 PM 

I had also intended on posting this great little article up on here, and would certainly second Sid's recommendation of The Spin generally- especially when Andy Bull is writing.

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

April 21 2017, 8:13 AM 

Thanks for this. I was not aware of 'The Spin' - and now I'm signed up for it, even though I didn't particularly like the condescending tone of the linked article. It suggested County 4-day supporters are an undiscerning lot, happy to watch a bore-draw.

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk