<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Cricket on TV.

April 20 2017 at 11:53 AM
Gavin Gray  (Login yorkie1863)

Who else remembers watching a championship match on ITV. I remember watching Yorks play someone many years ago.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

Re: Cricket on TV.

April 20 2017, 11:58 AM 

Granada used to televise the Roses game, long, long ago.

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

April 20 2017, 12:11 PM 

That was the late 80s, I watched it during the school holidays - commentary by Martin Tyler and a certain FS Trueman!

twenty2guns
(Login twenty2guns)

Cricket on TV

April 20 2017, 2:56 PM 

I remember that both Roses games were usually shown on ITV, and were invariably rain-ruined drawn games.

I also seem to remember a non-Roses game, played at Scarborough, been shown on ITV. That was a draw too, but with Yorkshire bowling with 7/8 slips for the last over or two. That was during Stuart Fletcher's time, Geoff Boycott was one of the summarisers.

Me4791
(Login Me4791)

April 20 2017, 3:01 PM 

Roses match was always on ITV when I was school age and into the early 90's I think. John Helm and Martin Tyler commentating if I remember. Was always strange listening to them commentating on cricket. I remember David Bairstow and Phil Carrick having stints on commentsry. I think they may have been playing in the match.

Me4791
(Login Me4791)

April 20 2017, 3:02 PM 

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

April 20 2017, 3:03 PM 

They were always on during the weekend of May BH and the August BH, always on ITV, and always seemed to end in rained off draws.

Yorkshire matches on Sky so far confirmed this season are 1/5, 11/7, 14/7, 26/7, 11/8.

So all three white ball matches v Lancashire this season are being shown on Sky.

This message has been edited by StuartRA on Apr 20, 2017 3:38 PM

Me4791
(Login Me4791)

April 20 2017, 3:08 PM 

(Login dpressed)

April 20 2017, 4:29 PM 

One of my few claims to fame is Freddie Trueman commenting on me & a couple of mate eating fish'n'chips at Old Trafford during a Roses match. I've never seen the clip but it annoyed the Lancashire member who'd driven to the chip shop to get them that she (& her friends) weren't shown

L
(Login legglance)

April 20 2017, 7:33 PM 

I took a sneaky day off work to watch a televised game at OT and, apparently, the camera focused in on me.

More surprising was the number of (supposedly) working colleagues who called, or left messages, (pre mobiles) to say they had seen me on TV!

Dewsburian
(Login Dewsburian)

April 20 2017, 7:40 PM 

I did the same thing at Edgaston and would have been OK if David Gower hadn't planted a six into the Rae Bank Stand about three seats from where I was sitting.

(Login yorkie1863)

April 20 2017, 9:34 PM 

Yes good days. Now sky shows all the cricket Be very rarely hS a championship match. Lots of Mickey mouse cricket

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

April 20 2017, 11:13 PM 

Am I right in thinking George Duckworth was one of the commentators? Better known as the Bodyline-series wicket-keeper, and later as England's baggage-man on tours abroad. Also had dirty pads, or at least the fat actor playing him did, in the Australian TV drama 'Bodyline', which was very (unintentionally) funny.

A wicket-keeper who batted number 11, I believe. There's a statue to him on a roundabout outside Warrington. Not a lot of people know that.

WS55
(Login WibseySimon55)

April 20 2017, 11:30 PM 

Wow, a statue on a roundabout outside Warrington. Now there's something to aspire to.

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

April 20 2017, 11:58 PM 

Didn't "Bodyline" have Duckworth standing up to the stumps when Larwood was bowling? I understand the need for artistic licence, but....

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

April 21 2017, 12:18 AM 

I think he was 8 to 10 yards back, the sort of position taken up by club 2nd or 3rd XI keepers to bowlers who are as bad as they are. They, too, often have dirty pads.

Idle man
(Login Idle_man)

April 21 2017, 12:26 AM 

That actor wouldn't even have got in our 3rd XI, but then neither would the guy playing Larwood. The Jardine bloke was better in Lord of the Rings.

Idle man
(Login Idle_man)

April 21 2017, 12:27 AM 

Not as a cricketer obviously. Relatively little of that in Lord of the Rings.

Anglian Exile
(Login AnglianExile)

April 21 2017, 7:33 AM 

I have no wish to speak ill of the departed, but even as a youngster I realised that Duckworth's commentaries on Roses matches were not impartial.

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

Duckworth's Roundabout

April 21 2017, 8:36 AM 

From Wikipedia...

After retirement, Duckworth was a journalist and a broadcaster on both cricket and rugby league. He also acted as a cricket tour organiser and as baggage master and scorer on MCC tours.

A dog-bone roundabout in his home town Warrington has been named after him. Duckworth's Roundabout is at Birchwood Way (A574) and Oakwood Gate.

At Birchwood, there was a huge works sports complex, with an excellent cricket pitch, rugby pitches, and two well-kept and tricky crown bowling greens. The cricket team played in the Manchester Association, now defunct, which is why I know about the roundabout. I scored 47 not out there, aged 59, as captain of Newton Heath 2nd XI, leading my team to victory - fondly remembered as my last ever innings of any substance.

The following season I went to watch and support our 1st XI there, when I challenged and beat one of the local bowlers on his own green. Happy days! Shortly after that I think the Birchwood cricket team went the way of so many, down the plug hole.

And, Simon, I would take a roundabout named after me any day. If you still live in Wibsey, check 138 Reevy Road. There may be one of those blue signs on it to say I lived there 1943 to 1955. But somehow I doubt it. It was a great place to grow up, with Wibsey Park separated from our back garden only by an easy-to-climb wall.

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk