<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

ODI`s in 2 weeks time

April 20 2017 at 5:01 PM
Stu  (Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

It will be an interesting selection, unless all the England players are ordered back from the IPL, which I doubt very much.

No Morgan, Roy, Woakes, Stokes, Buttler, Billings, Jordan & Mills. I assume Root will captain, as the 1 day skipper and Vice-Captain are away in India.

Yorkshire may lose even more players!!

Hales, ??, Root, ??, ??, Bairstow, Ali, Rashid, Plunkett, Willey, ??.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
(Login EastYorkshireTyke)

Re: ODI`s in 2 weeks time

April 20 2017, 5:06 PM 

Think we've already discussed this.

Only Woakes, Buttler and Woakes are staying out for the full IPL, Morgan, Roy and Billings are returning.

Mills doesn't even play 50 over cricket and Jordan hasn't been in recent squads.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

April 20 2017, 5:08 PM 

I was not aware that some of the players were returning. Not to bad then, but still a few gaps to fill.

This message has been edited by StuartRA on Apr 20, 2017 5:09 PM

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

April 20 2017, 5:17 PM 

And plenty of players to fill them. I don't see any Yorkshire players being called up apart from the usual suspects. England will pick a few youngsters I suspect - the likes of Duckett and Livingstone will probably be involved.

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

April 20 2017, 6:14 PM 

But the 'usual suspects' are Root, Bairstow, Rashid, Willey and Plunkett - that's FIVE of them! And they will be missing for the entire duration of the Champions Cup, or whatever they call it. There will be a competition rule debarring English players from turning out of their counties, to be fair to the other seven countries.

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

April 20 2017, 7:02 PM 

That is right, it will be played under ICC conditions so non-playing squad members stay with the squad (although the ECB will still get blamed!). It's a much shorter tournament than the World Cup at least.

(Login dpressed)

April 20 2017, 7:20 PM 

So Hants, who've bought in players, will be OK. It again shows that 'Team England' don't care about counties

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

April 20 2017, 7:30 PM 

England can't exactly prevent Hants from importing players and there are financial incentives in place for counties to develop their own.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

April 20 2017, 7:32 PM 

I have never understood the reasoning behind the ruling that players can not play in domestic competitions during ICC competitions.

What difference can it make if players play 4 day red ball cricket on their rest days during a 1 day white ball competition. It is more likely to hinder them than help them.

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

April 20 2017, 7:35 PM 

I guess the reasoning is that the host country doesn't get the extra advantage of its non playing squad members gaining match practice when they already have home conditions as an advantage.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

April 20 2017, 7:42 PM 

Yes Seadog, but maybe financial disincentives should be in place to discourage the practice. 100K less from the ECB for the clubs annual grant for every non-England qualified player would make them think twice. Hampshire would end up owing the ECB!!

April 20 2017, 7:43 PM 

How are 'Team England' to blame for an ICC tournament?
It seems to me that the 'ECB' or 'Team England' get blamed for pretty much everything on here and any valid points criticising them get lost amongst the noise.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

Champions Trophy

April 20 2017, 8:12 PM 

I'm hardened to us losing Root, Rashid, Willey and Plunkett for the Champions Trophy but Bairstow may well miss out.

England could go with just Billings and Duckett as the extra batsman/wicket keeping option and bring in Wood and Broad to give more bowling cover.

They can only pick 15 and they may even go for another spinner such as Dawson if we have a dry early summer.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

April 20 2017, 8:45 PM 

If that's the case re Broad then surely he should be having more pre tournament rests?

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

April 20 2017, 8:49 PM 

Wood is a cert if he stays fit. You could make cases for all of Buttler, Bairstow, Duckett and Billings as batsmen alone, the fact that they can all keep is a bonus in terms of balance. Of the three, I think Duckett is the most likely to miss out. It sounds as though Buttler was in great nick for Mumbai today.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

April 20 2017, 9:03 PM 

Broad is being rested, despite Notts begging to the ECB. So that may indicate he will be required for England before the Test matches.

Buttler being used as an opener in IPL, it paid off today and the bit I saw he was hitting the ball very hard.

April 20 2017, 9:50 PM 

We can't complain about Willey, he was an established International before signing with us!
I also, very much doubt Bairstow will be in the ODI squad for the Champions Trophy.

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

April 20 2017, 11:05 PM 

If Bairstow isn't in the squad, what's he being rested for now? He has consistently been in ODI squads, equally consistently not made the matchday XI.

And yes, I do blame the ECB, for agreeing to host this half-baked competition in the first place, in full knowledge of the chaos it would cause to our domestic game, of which they are supposed to be the guardians.

(Login sooty-yorkie1)

April 21 2017, 5:57 AM 

I don't see how it's the ecb's fault. If it wasn't here then it'd be somewhere else and the problems would be the if not greater. The ICC are the ones that decide and the viewers that keep the tv companies interested.

Twelfth Man
(Login twelthman)

April 21 2017, 7:04 AM 

I don't have any problem with our players getting picked to PLAY for England, like it or not it's what every cricketer aspires to. It's when they end up carrying the drinks when they could be playing for us that bothers me. Or when they get told to "rest" having not played any meaningful cricket for three months.

So does anyone know how long we'll have them for? I heard up until the Durham RL match previously.

This message has been edited by twelthman on Apr 21, 2017 7:15 AM

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk