<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Alibor
(Login Alibor2)

Re: CHAMPIONSHIP | Hampshire vs Yorkshire at Southampton (Day 1)

April 21 2017, 4:26 PM 

It seems the weather is sunnier than forecast and batting therefore is probably easier - they were probably glad to be inserted. Agree with you Stu that unless there is movement, our seam attack for this match is not so potent - except for Coad of course.
We will need to make the second new ball really count and it would be good to get rid of test hopeful Vince before the new ball.
Just do not understand why England spinner Rashid has only bowled 5 overs when we are within 10 overs of the next new ball?
We did this kind of thing last season under Gales captaincy - rotating 4 seamers unsuccessfully and bowling part time spinner. Don't know what kind of message if gives, but it sure does not increase our wicket taking chances which is prime requirement.

This message has been edited by Alibor2 on Apr 21, 2017 4:46 PM

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

April 21 2017, 4:55 PM 

Also seems a very slow over rate, so points deduction possible, another reason to get Rashid on a lot earlier.

New ball crucial or its looking like 450 plus for Hants as they have loads of batting to come.

Alibor
(Login Alibor2)

April 21 2017, 5:04 PM 

Yes Stu, far too late bringing Adil on again - he used Root instead but apart from giving the England captain a loosener - why!? We blew first Hampshire game and this does not look promising.

This message has been edited by Alibor2 on Apr 21, 2017 5:06 PM

Jay
(Login overman8)

April 21 2017, 5:04 PM 

Hindsight and weather forecasts are wonderful things, and perhaps batting first was seemingly the better option. That said, Hants are a more stronger and resilient side than of previous years. I feel another 3 wickets are due before the close.

(Login ExiledinNotts)

April 21 2017, 5:20 PM 

Off for bad light just as the new ball was due

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

April 21 2017, 5:27 PM 

Not to bad for us that. Come back tomorrow with a new ball and fresh bowlers. Also stops their momentum.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

April 21 2017, 5:59 PM 

3 more tonight and we are back in this game.

(Login WhiteroseDave)

April 21 2017, 6:04 PM 

There's the first. 4 down now, another one or 2 would be nice and put us back in it.

WS55
(Login WibseySimon55)

April 21 2017, 7:47 PM 

Been there today until the 5.15/80 over bad light interruption.
First dull day of the campaign.
Summary: Vince batted well -- nice player to watch. We bowled indifferently, no apparent threat from anyone. Lyth and Bairstow each dropped fairly challenging (but by no means uncatchable) chances, which cost us. We did not show any bounce or enthusiasm in the field, and there was very little chatter among the players.

Leaves me wondering just what the return of Root and Bairstow does to the group dynamic.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

April 21 2017, 7:52 PM 

Tough day by the look of it but they certainly haven't got away.

If we can get Vince out early then we have a chance of keeping them to well below 400.

We then have the best batting line-up we can field to hopefully turn the game our way.

menston yccc
(Login menstonyccc)

April 21 2017, 10:53 PM 

I suspect the dynamic was affected by the big scores and performance of the hants batsmen

I feel there has been a negativity about having joe and jonny

I understand joe feels a bit distant from us as his success with england means his appearances are rare but he is always positive about coming back and playing

jonny is as Yorkshire as they come and it is not his choice to rest it is the ecb - he always wants to play he does not deserve any negativity as there is few more committed to Yorkshire

they may not score runs but that will not be for lack of effort and I would take them everyday over leaning and hodd notwithstanding hodd's valued contributions this season and last seson

new ball critical tomorrow am - we are very much in this particularly with two quick wickets

I am missing last matches live link already

Twelfth Man
(Login twelthman)

April 22 2017, 12:21 AM 

I feel it will take a lot for us to win this now and to begin to turn it around would require six quick wickets in the morning! No great surprise the way today has gone, we always struggle to take wickets there and I can't remember the last time we won a match at Southampton, barring the contrived finish two years ago. I get the feeling that our chances hinge on the battle between our three Test batsmen and their former Test bowler, while not forgetting Topley either.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

April 22 2017, 7:20 AM 

I wouldn't like Root to think he wasn't welcome or appreciated as much as Bairstow and in my view he is just as committed and as Yorkshire as bairstow is but he has far more on his England plate. When permitted by his paymasters he willingly turns up to play for us and fits in.

Tough day with our attack lacking something that a fired up Sid, a good Brooks or a pacy Plunkett might have added

(Login dpressed)

April 22 2017, 10:07 AM 

In answer to Mentson .... I always take people as I find them.

I still think Hodd is a beeter keeper than Bairstow, but not by a lot. But Jonny's batting means that he'll be the one to play.

As for committment. In the last year Bluey Jnr has showed exactly what he thinks of Yorkshire. Last September Jonny was told to rest, so where was he when Yorkshire playeed Zummerset at Headingley ..... sat at the back of the NE Upper with a mate .... said mate has a pint, Bairstow didn't. When Yorks played Leeds/Bradford he'd moved ... to the player's balcony. From the tv pictures I saw that's where Bluey Jnr was at Lords againstg Middlesex. IMO this shbows someone who's committed to Yorkshire.

So whilst I accept when people moan about Bairstow not taking a hard chance (I may even join in!!), but I will object when people say he's not trying.

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk