<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

CHAMPIONSHIP | Hampshire vs Yorkshire at Southampton (Day 3)

April 23 2017 at 5:32 AM

WRF  (Premier Login AlexRoberts)
Owner

Apr 21-24, 2017 - at The Rose Bowl, Southampton

Hampshire 455 Yorkshire 128-6 (43 overs)
Yorkshire are 327 runs behind with 4 wickets in hand

Live Scorecard
Live Commentary
Southampton Weather

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
(Login ThirdUmpire)

Re: CHAMPIONSHIP | Hampshire vs Yorkshire at Southampton (Day 3)

April 23 2017, 7:14 AM 

I fear an absence of a day four thread once again.

Surely today cannot be as bad as yesterday?

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

April 23 2017, 8:40 AM 

It could and maybe should have been 128-4 with even more top batsmen to be gotten out, twice. But these things happen and we are where we are.

As it is the shed isn't quite empty yet first time around and they all get another chance.

The pitch is still good and Hampshire will have a lot of overs to bowl if they do get into a position to enforce the follow-on.

Days like this I wish I had no family commitments, oh and access to a helicopter.

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

April 23 2017, 9:01 AM 

Perhaps Gary and Rash can do what Jonny B and Brezzy did at Durham a couple of years back.

I'm glad I'm not there, though. Southampton, not Durham. Too painful when you care so much, and in (what we hope will be) a long rearguard action, disaster is always two balls away. Makes for tough viewing.

Yesterday I watched the last two Somerset wickets take the score from 145 for 8 to 278 all out, including a spell against Jimmy Anderson with the new ball. It can be done, especially in benign batting conditions, but you also need a little luck along the way...which they had.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

April 23 2017, 9:31 AM 

Beauty of the CC is while this might be a disastrous round for Yorkshire, I'm not saying it will be, but it could be, all is not lost.

If Essex and Warwickshire end up holding on for draws there won't be a lot of damage done in respect of the table.

It's Surrey and Middlesex that worry me.

WS55
(Login WibseySimon55)

April 23 2017, 9:42 AM 

I'm about to get into my helicopter and head off down to the Rose Bowl. Hope to post tonight with some better news.

(By the way, the Rose Bowl is maturing into a nice place to watch cricket. When it was brand new, unfinished without its hotel on the north side, and so too much noise from the motorway, I found it a sterile and uninteresting place. I've changed my mind. The architecture is balanced and harmonious, the trees are growing, the wooded hill behind the pavilion looks lovely).

marsker
(Login marskeman)

April 23 2017, 10:44 AM 

We will just have to rely on late order runs from the reliable Andrew Hodd. Oh hang on.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

April 23 2017, 10:58 AM 

A tough ask now. We need to bat for 5 sessions. My gut feeling is it will finish today.

Gavin Gray
(Login yorkie1863)

April 23 2017, 10:59 AM 

Good morning everyone. Here's hoping a better day for Yorkshire. Yorkshire could be all out for 150 or get to 400. That's one of the reasons i love cricket,. Anything could happen and sometimes does happen. So let's not give up hope. If we could get a draw that would be great result from the position we were in.

Haxbyite
(Login Haxbyite)

Well done Gary

April 23 2017, 12:44 PM 

Just tuned in to hear GB get his second century of the season. Well done Captain!

As an aside where did they dig up the Hampshire commentator from? I didn't think there was anyone left alive from the 19th Century.

Twelfth Man
(Login twelthman)

April 23 2017, 12:49 PM 

How I would love another hundred partnership from the skipper and Patto

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

April 23 2017, 12:50 PM 

Coad has got over 1/2 of our wickets this season, and Gary may well have got over 1/2 of our runs (I have not checked). He is setting a great example as captain, unlike last years skipper, who the team carried for most of the season.

(Login ExiledinNotts)

April 23 2017, 12:50 PM 

Indeed a captains performance from Ballance, I agree about the commentator Ken by the way

marsker
(Login marskeman)

April 23 2017, 12:53 PM 

i just can not listen to that pretentious school master and kevan james is not much better. well done gary ballance.

Martin
(Login Martinh00)

April 23 2017, 1:01 PM 

We could do with Coad getting half of the runs in this innings now!

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

April 23 2017, 1:30 PM 

We'll surely be following on? At least that would increase the chance of a Yorkshire win from none to extremely slim!

WS55
(Login WibseySimon55)

April 23 2017, 1:43 PM 

Commentators from 19th century are the least of our problems. Tune in to BBC Parliament to watch the likes of Cash, Bone, Redwood and Rees-Mogg, and you'll see the country is being run by people from the 19th century!

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

April 23 2017, 1:45 PM 

Not to sure about following on. There is an argument for their bowlers to get their feet up for a couple of sessions. Lets face it with our "reserve" bowling attack they could get a quick 250 and declare with 30 mins left today and really put us out of the game.

(Login WhiteroseDave)

April 23 2017, 1:49 PM 

Not sure about the follow on, my first instincts are that not enforcing it says that they're content with the draw with so much time already gone in the game.Either way if we bat well it's a draw and if we bat poorly again we lose, not much scope for a win.

WS55
(Login WibseySimon55)

April 23 2017, 1:54 PM 

Follow on just announced

< Previous Page 1 2 3 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk