<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

Re: CHAMPIONSHIP | Hampshire vs Yorkshire at Southampton (Day 3)

April 23 2017, 1:57 PM 

Reserve bowling attack?? The only "reserve" is Coad and he's now first on the team sheet. This attack routed Warwickshire last week.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

April 23 2017, 2:09 PM 

It was tongue in cheek, "weakened" better.

(Login ExiledinNotts)

April 23 2017, 2:16 PM 

Lyth gone for 6 runs 11-1

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

April 23 2017, 2:19 PM 

Weakened or not, it's our batsmen who are losing us the game. Lyth has had an awful game.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

April 23 2017, 2:34 PM 

Yes, when you look at the batting line-ups of the 1st Division sides, with one notable exception, ours is the second worse after Warwickshire.

CaliforniaScarborian
(Login CaliforniaScarborian)

Time Off

April 23 2017, 2:38 PM 

I'd just like to add my support to those who don't see time away from the wicket as an acceptable excuse for a weak contribution. With an 82-year-old's memory that balances the absence of an 80-second one, I think back to February 1948, when Len Hutton got an urgent phone call asking him if he could fly to the West Indies, where his fellow countrymen were having an unexpectedly hard time.

Hutton hadn't played since the Scarborough Festival FIVE MONTHS EARLIER, but 4 or 5 days later took the train from a bitterly cold and snowy Leeds for Heathrow, where in those pre-jet travel days he boarded a plane to Portugal, then another to West Africa, then Brazil, and finally one to British Guiana, where a couple of days after this 4-day journey, he stepped into as contrasting a climate as you could think of, and scored a century. More runs were to follow.

So could we ease up, please, on blaming the Lords hierarchy, and excusing the current players, when the latter show up but let down the side?

Leg Glance
(Login legglance)

April 23 2017, 3:03 PM 

I feel that is extremely harsh CS.

Cherry picking one incident by one of the acknowledged greats of the game to justify accusing England's top two run scorers of 2016, when one of them played almost non stop, in all 3 formats, of lettin g the side down is, to me, harsh and unfair.

In Joe's case, the fact that he played throughout the year and did so well, yet falls twice cheaply after not playing for a long period, serves only to emphasis the need for time in the middle.

Let's see whether Jonny lets Yorkshire down in the 2nd innings.

I'm sure he will never have been accused of that before.

This message has been edited by legglance on Apr 23, 2017 3:04 PM

Jay
(Login overman8)

April 23 2017, 3:15 PM 

There's no excuse for such ineptitude, some of our batsmen need to show more resilience and intelligence. Lyth needs a stint in the seconds to help recover his form or with motivation

Gavin Gray
(Login yorkie1863)

April 23 2017, 3:21 PM 

The people who have said our batting line up is weak are talking nonsense. Yes they have had a real bad match and I'm really disappointed in the team, but the line up of Lyth, Lees, Root, Ballance, Handscomb and Bairstow is a great top 6. So who would you drop and bring in?

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

April 23 2017, 3:50 PM 

No one Gavin, that is the problem, as there is no one as good in the second team.

Today's line up is not our normal top 6 - only 1 more CC match this season (V Surrey) for Joe & Jonny. I still believe our normal top 6 is the second worst in this Division.

This message has been edited by StuartRA on Apr 23, 2017 4:08 PM

(Login ExiledinNotts)

April 23 2017, 4:05 PM 

Surely Matthew Waite can't be a million miles away from breaking through into the first eleven. Hopefully we will get to see hom in some of the 50 over games.

Martin
(Login Martinh00)

April 23 2017, 4:16 PM 

Stu - you mean second worst on form this season presumably? On quality I would suggest we are right up there.

Jay
(Login overman8)

April 23 2017, 4:33 PM 

One single in 40 balls, Boycott would be proud.

Gavin Gray
(Login yorkie1863)

April 23 2017, 5:04 PM 

Even our normal line up is a decent batting side.

Twelfth Man
(Login twelthman)

April 23 2017, 5:13 PM 

It SHOULD be a decent batting side but has all too often failed to live up to expectations, going back a couple of years. I won't start name dropping but certain players have not kicked on from promising starts to their Yorkshire careers.

Jay
(Login overman8)

April 23 2017, 5:22 PM 

That's a factual point Twelth Man one which is evidenced through their performances. Ballance setting the example again, a good and determined partnership from these two.

Gavin Gray
(Login yorkie1863)

April 23 2017, 5:36 PM 

I would like to see the powers that be put up a post at the end of each day taking us through the match, conditions, wickets, bad judgements?, bad luck with a decision?, each players assessment. None of us are in middle we don't know if an lbw decision is wrong if there was an inside edge or not. What a batsman was thinking when they played a bad shot.

Gavin Gray
(Login yorkie1863)

April 23 2017, 5:43 PM 

Congratulations to Lees and Ballance on their half centuries.

Gavin Gray
(Login yorkie1863)

April 23 2017, 5:58 PM 

Congratulations on the 150 partnership.

Twelfth Man
(Login twelthman)

April 23 2017, 6:01 PM 

Buggar!

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk