<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Gavin Gray
(Login yorkie1863)

Re: CHAMPIONSHIP | Hampshire vs Yorkshire at Southampton (Day 3)

April 23 2017, 6:06 PM 

Damn did i just jinx it with my congratulations

menston yccc
(Login menstonyccc)

April 23 2017, 6:42 PM 

fighting performance today as you expect from the team

hopefully more of the same tomorrow

a draw would feel like a win

according to the official website the root dismissal kept low

Gavin Gray
(Login yorkie1863)

April 23 2017, 6:46 PM 

Could be an interesting day tomorrow. Bat til lunch got about 70 lead bat til near tea about 200 lead then let Coad and Willey rip through them. I can hope.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

April 23 2017, 6:49 PM 

A fine fighting performance, but still a long way to go. We have to be still batting at least tea to save the game, assuming 100 or so runs per session.

What a magnificent effort from Gary, he has been on the field almost the whole game (in early in both innings and almost last out in our first innings).

Leg Glance
(Login legglance)

April 23 2017, 7:00 PM 

He'll be needing a rest soon or get called back into the England squad sad.gif

Well done Gary. Much more needed though tomorrow.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

Gary Ballance

April 23 2017, 7:32 PM 

Very pleased to see Lees get a few but what a marvelous performance from the Captain.

Root may or may not have got a bit of a shooter but Lyth has had a mare in all departments. Let's hope the 50 over stuff gives him a bit of a tonic like it did last season.

Some gripping cricket to be played in Div 1 tomorrow. 4 teams pushing for wins, 4 teams hanging on for draws and a bit of weather around to spice things up.

I'm hoping for 4 draws but none of them will have been dull.

WS55
(Login WibseySimon55)

April 23 2017, 9:57 PM 

Another good day's championship cricket. Not as many thrills and spills like yesterday (thank goodness). I know I'm preaching to the converted on this Forum, but there really is nothing to compare to the deep, steady, growing pleasure of watching the drama of a county game evolve over three and four days, against a backdrop of fresh spring green. And you'll know what I mean when suddenly you realise you've spent the last minute and a half watching a butterfly swirl and drift across the outfield -- and how often have you let yourself do that in life?

I guess this morning we would have taken minus 46 for 3 at COP. And credit to Ballance (twice) and Lees for getting us there. But I'm afraid there was a downside to today. Lyth and Root going cheaply again was one part of it, and the other was that Ballance and Lees (especially Lees) had way more than their fair share of luck in getting to where they did.

Hampshire shelled a few in the slips (maybe they didn't all carry, but at least one did). Dawson turned one through the gate that missed Lees' stumps by a whisker. And Dawson rapped Lees on the pads several times -- ball pitched outside off, definitely hitting the stumps, and whereas six times out of seven Lees was playing a stroke (and positioning himself very cleverly as a left hander facing an SLA), the seventh time he most definitely was not, but the umpire gave it not out. There were a few appeals for caught behind as well, both Ballance and Lees, and none were given. I thought one was feathered. Hampshire's slips thought three were. And if Cricinfo did wagonwheels for county games, you'd see quite a few fours from both our saviour-batsmen went to the finest of fine leg/third man--off the edge and over the top.

It was gritty, it was Yorkshire, and I was glad to see them dig in and get away with it, but it was not wholly convincing. We came out the right side (just) at 178/3. One more wicket and you'd have said it was Hampshire's day, as they only need two wickets a session.

But let's take the positives. Gary Ballance looking like a grown-up version of the Ballance we knew and loved in 2014 and before. His cuts and pulls to square leg or square-ish midwicket today were a delight to behold. I've always thought the cover drive and the straight drive my favourite shots to watch, but Ballance makes me think again. And while the Yorkshire away support has not been vocal at Southampton (it's a long way from home, and not much to cheer about) the team on the balcony today made up for it, hollering and clapping their captain's success, and even banging the railings for Alex Lees' fifty! Which speaks well of how much they care.

Let's leave it at that for now, and hope they can deliver tomorrow.

(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

April 23 2017, 10:22 PM 

Thanks for that report, Simon.

The last time a Yorkshire player got a century in each innings was in 2013 against Surrey by Gary Ballance!! Hope I have not put the mockers on him.

This message has been edited by StuartRA on Apr 23, 2017 10:23 PM

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

No politics.

April 23 2017, 10:49 PM 

I think it is perfectly normal to pay more attention when your team is batting and to feel relief when chances aren't taken and appeals turned down.

Listening to the the local commentary, posh voice or not, is also likely to be an influence. As is being one of very few away supporters.

I don't think we had much luck on day two so maybe we deserved a dash of it today.

More good news for you, neither Bone, Redwood, Rees-Mogg or Cash are members of the government.

< Previous Page 1 2 3 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk