<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

CHAMPIONSHIP | Hampshire vs Yorkshire at Southampton (Day 4)

April 24 2017 at 3:46 AM

WRF  (Premier Login AlexRoberts)
Owner

Apr 21-24, 2017 - at The Rose Bowl, Southampton

Hampshire 455 Yorkshire 231 & 178-3 (61 overs)
Yorkshire trail by 46 runs with 7 wickets remaining

Live Scorecard
Live Commentary
Southampton Weather
""

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

Re: CHAMPIONSHIP | Hampshire vs Yorkshire at Southampton (Day 4)

April 24 2017, 8:16 AM 

Despair, Worry, Hope, Relief, all these emotions could be in play during the final day.

I know it is only a game but if we have to use them all let's hope they come in that order!

Jay
(Login overman8)

April 24 2017, 8:20 AM 

Nice existential start to the morning Geoff. The morning will be a crucial period of play, we need to show some more that grit.

(Login dpressed)

April 24 2017, 8:46 AM 

Two things.

Firstly. When 'people' say the counties play too much cricket we should point out that this is the first time in 2017 that Yorkshire have played on the 4th day of a championship match. This is Yorkshire's 3rd match of the season.

Secondly, what's the weather forecast for Southampton? Could the rain help to save us or will low clouds help to scupper us?

Leg Glance
(Login legglance)

April 24 2017, 8:53 AM 

The BBC showed Soton encircled by rain by 4.00 pm but a more localised forecast shows mostly cloudy at 11.00, shower at noon, cloudy until 3.00 then a shower and cloudy for the rest of the day.

I don't think the weather will be our saviour, dig in and hope seems to be favourite.

Steve C
(Login stevecowton)
Assistant Moderator

April 24 2017, 8:58 AM 

..and it might sound stupid - but we need to remember to score runs...
We can't survive all day - but once we're in front every run counts double.
If we're serious about winning anything this year we need to avoid defeat today...

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

April 24 2017, 9:28 AM 

Fully agree reference remembering to score runs.

This match has gone way too far for a JB inspired counter attack but we must get the field spread a bit and put some doubt into the bowlers minds.

Of course we must do this without giving them any chances. Cripes it's going to be a long day!

(Login matthefish2002)

April 24 2017, 9:30 AM 

Will be checking the scores nervously today.
My instructions to the players is if you get out make sure its a good ball.
And if we lose make sure we have grafted and made Hampshire sweat every inch of the way.

Tom
(Login whiterosetom)

April 24 2017, 9:36 AM 

We need to bat until tea atleast, simples. A 200 lead by then ideally. Handscomb must make runs today.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

April 24 2017, 9:56 AM 

I wish Ballance would get runs when root and Bairstow not playing and not when they are or he risks drawing attention to the England selectors again. With Hameed not buying a run this season then some gaps may appear although Vince scoring a ton can't go unnoticed

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

April 24 2017, 10:06 AM 

I wouldn't worry - Stoneman and Borthwick are scoring runs for Surrey, that ought to push them up the pecking order!

Martin
(Login Martinh00)

April 24 2017, 10:24 AM 

Lots of ifs and ands. Seems to me that in these days of T20 heroics, a target of say 200 off 25 overs (without fielding restrictions) is very do-able. So the aim must be to bat all day. A couple of rain interventions might be helpful of course!

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

April 24 2017, 11:03 AM 

It's raining in Manchester if that's any help!

I've just watched three days of great cricket at Old Trafford, but wasn't intending to go today. Liam Livingstone must be ascending the pecking-order ladder. Craig Overton bowled fast and without much luck, Jack Leach bowled nicely after a shaky start.

Hameed looks totally out of sorts, and I fear Ballance will be foremost in the selectors' (for want of a better word) thinking. Of course, it's entirely feasible that Surrey's coaching - so successful in bringing through home grown talent, we all know that - will have succeeded where Durham's failed, regarding Stoneman. So quickly, too!

Let's hope Bell gets a big one today, to contrast with Ballance's even bigger one in even worse circumstances. But if they picked Gary when he was batting poorly last season, how can they not, now? I look forward to Cally's description of the fine innings to be played by some, or all, of Handscomb, Bairstow, Bresnan and Rashid - preferably no more than the first two.

Tom
(Login whiterosetom)

April 24 2017, 11:51 AM 

Three hundreds in five championship innings for Ballance. He's not always the most attractive player to watch when he's out of form but statistics don't lie and his first class average is still almost 50.

Jay
(Login overman8)

April 24 2017, 11:52 AM 

Pretty low key start to the season for Ballance hopefully he can rediscover some form.

Leg Glance
(Login legglance)

April 24 2017, 11:53 AM 

Well, he's put himself further into the frame (if that's possible)

Well done Gary. Keep at it.

I think that's his 10th hundred as captain. Apparently, he's captained in 13 games now.Some going if so.

Steve C
(Login stevecowton)
Assistant Moderator

Good stuff

April 24 2017, 12:03 PM 

250 ahead by tea and then Adil spins them out in the final hour...

Gavin Gray
(Login yorkie1863)

April 24 2017, 12:14 PM 

Now in comes Johnny. Good luck. Get a quick century.

Martin
(Login Martinh00)

April 24 2017, 12:16 PM 

Just when we are getting chirpy Dawson takesa wicket. I will leave my comments about GB that I was about to post for another time!

Jay
(Login overman8)

April 24 2017, 12:21 PM 

Here's Jonny.

< Previous Page 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk