<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Roundhegian
(Login Roundhegian)

Re: CHAMPIONSHIP | Hampshire vs Yorkshire at Southampton (Day 4)

April 24 2017, 1:13 PM 

Handscomb 70 runs in four innings against Hampshire is not great either.
68 overs remaining, so if we bat for 40 odd overs and increase the lead to 200 or so, it could be an interesting finish.
Failing that there is some rain forecast this afternoon.

Martin
(Login Martinh00)

April 24 2017, 1:16 PM 

Maybe not today, but there have been comments which seem to question their commitment to the cause. We might hope that one of them comes off and be disappointed when both fail, but I just think that we should recognise that players can fail in one game and that it just happens, disappointing though it is.

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

April 24 2017, 1:17 PM 

I suppose we may have taken 98 for 2 in the session - just about.

Doing the arithmetic, if we can score around 100 off the next 36 overs, that would leave us 150 ahead with 32 remaining. You wouldn't feel safe with that! So we need to bat a few overs into the final session, perhaps 7 or 10 overs to create a T20-style finish.

There's a danger that we score much more slowly than that, meaning we have to bat correspondingly longer. No room for error, proper cricket, what the County Championship is all about.

The other games are all intriguingly poised.

Warwickshire are 280 for 5, in effect 175 for 5, against Surrey.

Lancs were all out for 463, setting Somerset 295 to win. At 29 for 0 they are probably favourites, just.

Essex have to hang on to 7 remaining wickets against Middlesex.

Tom
(Login whiterosetom)

April 24 2017, 1:23 PM 

To be fair 98/2 in the morning session isn't too bad. I'd even go as far as say i'd have settled for that this morning. It is one more wicket that I was hoping for but we've scored more runs than I thought we would and as someone said earlier they count double now.

I think perhaps it seems more disappointing becuase they came quickly and one of our international stars failed again. Luckily Ballance is making up for the others and i'd say we're in a better position to draw this match that this time yesterday when we had just been made to follow on, over 200 behind and with five sessions to survive.

This message has been edited by whiterosetom on Apr 24, 2017 1:23 PM

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

April 24 2017, 1:33 PM 

I disagree, it WAS predictable that Jonny & Joe would fail after not having a bat for 4 months.

No-one is criticising their commitment and abilities, in fact I feel sorry for them, as they have been forced into a situation where a lot of pressure and expectations were been heaped on their shoulders, and they were expected to perform with no real form behind them. IMO, it was an accident waiting to happen.

Egham Tyke
(Login Davetyke)

April 24 2017, 1:36 PM 

On the positive side it's raining in Birmingham so could be a game that Surrey thought they'd win given Warks poor start to the season slipping to a draw

East Coast Type
(Login EastCoastType)

April 24 2017, 2:14 PM 

I think what is disappointing is that the current batting problems were so forseeable. Gillespie and Gale were talking about the top order needing to contribute more back in August 2015 (e.g. after Durham win). The top order was then shaky again in 2016, yet still very little was done for 2017. The only notable action in 2016 was to give Leaning his cap, for reasons that are still unclear. There can be no doubt that we are relegation candidates. Predictably so, given the squad's feeble batting resources and the apparent complacency about the situation. No-one should be undroppable. No return to mediocrity should be accepted.

As for Root and Jonny, the cases are different. I feel that (through no fault of his own), Root's appearances for Yorkshire are always a distraction. With Jonny, I wonder whether he is starting to 'buy in' to the ECB/Strauss worldview. This wouldn't lessen his wish to do well for Yorkshire, but, for me, is bound to change him.

As for ECB/Strauss, I think there is every cause for scorn. The arrogance of picking a game where certain players can 'get back into form'. If you want to pursue a rest policy, why not play Root and Jonny from the start of the season and see how things go (especially given the gap since they last played)? If they fail in game one, then there is still game two and three. If they succeed in game one, then you can 'rest' them if you must. Sports science surely works best with a bit of common sense.

This message has been edited by EastCoastType on Apr 24, 2017 2:15 PM

JG
(Login _JG_)

April 24 2017, 2:20 PM 

Unfortunately we're not keeping up with Dave's (very reasonable) suggested scoring rate- we'll have to bat well into the evening session at this rate...

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

April 24 2017, 2:29 PM 

7 runs in the last 10 overs!!

This could come back to bite us on the **** big time. We now have to bat till well past 5pm to avoid defeat. A bit more positivity please!!

This message has been edited by StuartRA on Apr 24, 2017 2:50 PM

(Login WhiteShamrock)

April 24 2017, 2:50 PM 

............... and it's now exactly 20 overs since the last boundary was struck! Four day, backs-to-the-wall cricket at its finest!

Then Ballance ruins everything by taking 7 (including a 4) from the next over. Settle down, Gary lad.

This message has been edited by WhiteShamrock on Apr 24, 2017 2:56 PM

Alex
(Premier Login AlexRoberts)
Owner

April 24 2017, 2:54 PM 

Geoffrey Boycott will be proud. Indeed, it looks like we have a new "GB." Compelling stuff, with draw points on the line that could eventually make a huge difference. Come on lads!

This message has been edited by AlexRoberts on Apr 24, 2017 2:58 PM

Egham Tyke
(Login Davetyke)

April 24 2017, 2:56 PM 

Well done WhiteShamrock, boundary scored happy.gif

Tom
(Login whiterosetom)

April 24 2017, 3:16 PM 

Puts helmet on

When do we declare?

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

April 24 2017, 3:17 PM 

in 2007 Younus Khan got 106 in the first innings and 203 no in the second innings against Hampshire at Southampton. The one and only time for Yorkshire ever - a century and a double hundred in the same match.

Can Gary replicate the achievement?

Tim has been dropped twice.

This message has been edited by StuartRA on Apr 24, 2017 3:22 PM

Jay
(Login overman8)

April 24 2017, 3:23 PM 

Great post btw East Coast Type, I agree entirely. Looks odds on for a draw maybe a cheeky declaration an hour after tea and let Coad have a go at them.

Egham Tyke
(Login Davetyke)

April 24 2017, 3:34 PM 

very very gloomy over Lords at the moment, Middlesex could be thwarted of victory as well

WS55
(Login WibseySimon55)

April 24 2017, 3:41 PM 

I think we've saved this game now. Good old Brezzie and Ballance.
Hampshire have stopped moving briskly in the field. They have the air of having given up

Tom
(Login whiterosetom)

April 24 2017, 3:56 PM 

This would've made a fantastic test match.

WS55
(Login WibseySimon55)

April 24 2017, 4:03 PM 

It's been better than a Test Match Tom.

(Login matthefish2002)

April 24 2017, 4:12 PM 

Gary Ballance in this game reminds me of that famous knock by Michael Atherton v South Africa 20 years ago.

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk