<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

Re: CHAMPIONSHIP | Hampshire vs Yorkshire at Southampton (Day 4)

April 24 2017, 7:23 PM 

You may be right but the thought leaves me cold. Against a swinging white ball early in the season he'd be toast.

Thomas
(Login YorkshireAllOver)

April 24 2017, 7:41 PM 

Feel we're a bowler light in your line-up Stu. Playing 5 is a risk imo even with options of Root and Lyth. Only needs one to have an off-day and we're in a bit of trouble. Cost us in T20 semi-final

WS55
(Login WibseySimon55)

April 24 2017, 7:47 PM 

Well, we got out of jail free again, and without it going to the wire like last year at Trent Bridge (Brooks v Broad) or Taunton (Plunkett and Leaning). Can only be very, very pleased for Ballance. He and Bresnan looked solid all afternoon, and did the job. I missed the morning session, but the surprising high scoring rate in his partnership with Handscomb was impressive and must have really relieved some of the pressure.

Vithushan Ehantharajah (I took advice, and copy/pasted) points out in his Cricinfo article that only ten wickets fell over the last two days of the game, blaming a too-flat pitch. Hampshire's drops and misses contributed too, to be honest.

But this will be remembered, rightly, as Ballance's game. On the field for four days except for 12 overs. Brilliant.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

April 24 2017, 7:59 PM 

Good point, Tom. Perhaps Rhodes or Waite for Leaning.

This message has been edited by StuartRA on Apr 24, 2017 8:01 PM

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

April 24 2017, 8:19 PM 

I prefer the 6 bowlers in t20, especially seen as Willey can opening the batting. But we will only play 5 bowlers here plus Lyth/Root options.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

April 24 2017, 9:02 PM 

Great fighting spirit with the skipper leading by example and other regulars digging in for the cause.

The best thing is we may have also allowed Vince to entertain the selectors discussions too. I agree any batsman can fail in an innings but when will we find out if Root or Bairstow are back inform in four day cricket?

WS55
(Login WibseySimon55)

April 24 2017, 11:50 PM 

Maybe Root and Bairstow will be able to get some practice in a few five-day games in the summer, in time to reach their full potential in the important four-day games in September

(Login dpressed)

April 25 2017, 9:12 AM 

Don't make me laugh. Root & Bairstow will be 'resting' in September

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

April 25 2017, 10:09 AM 

Root & Bairstow will play 1 more CC match this season v Surrey in the floodlit match, and that is only so they can get practice playing with a pink ball ready for the day/night test in August.

Another farce by the ECB, it will not be dark in June until well after the match finishes and our skipper will not be able to play because he is colour blind. So we do not have our in-form batsman, and instead have two players having a "net" for England both not having had any 4 day cricket since mid-December (over 6 months). They were bad enough with 4 months away from the crease, they will be even worse with 6 months away.

(Login dpressed)

April 25 2017, 10:39 AM 

Is the Ballance 'colour blind' rumour true, or was it just an April Fool, as some are now saying?

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

April 25 2017, 11:23 AM 

Depends if it was announced on 1st of April or not!!

Tom
(Login whiterosetom)

April 25 2017, 11:52 AM 

It was first mentioned on the first of April which caused some confusion, but it is true.

He said he'll see how he feels in practice with it and he may play, but even so, that doesn't really fill me with confidence! It may seem unusual but it's not uncommon. Chris Rogers has had to pull out of matches due to it and Matthew Wade had doubts about whether he could play.

This message has been edited by whiterosetom on Apr 25, 2017 12:06 PM

(Login dpressed)

April 25 2017, 12:24 PM 

I've 'had a look round' & found this article, dated 29th March so it appears to be true

(Login ThirdUmpire)

April 25 2017, 12:45 PM 

He is seeing it like a football at the moment so not sure the colour will matter

< Previous Page 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk