<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Champions Trophy & Ireland squad

April 24 2017 at 9:24 PM
Geoff B  (Login Coastalview)

ECB due to announce the 15 man squad for the Champions Trophy tomorrow, as well as squads for the Ireland games and the South Africa series.

Thought I might chance my arm:

Champions Trophy and South Africa.

Roy
Hales
Root
Morgan
Buttler
Billings
Stokes
Ali
Duckett
Wood
Plunkett
Willey
Woakes
Rashid
Dawson

Ireland probably 13.

Roy, Hales, Root, Morgan, Bairstow, Duckett, Livingstone, Willey, Ball, Wood, Dawson, Plunkett, Woakes.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

Re: Champions Trophy & Ireland squad

April 24 2017, 9:31 PM 

I think Woakes, Stokes & Butter are allowed to stop in India until the Champions Trophy starts, but apart from that I would agree with those squads.

An outside chance for Livingstone.

This message has been edited by StuartRA on Apr 24, 2017 10:57 PM

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

April 24 2017, 9:39 PM 

I thought it was just Stokes and Buttler and they were only excused the Ireland games but you may well be right.

Twelfth Man
(Login twelthman)

April 24 2017, 10:38 PM 

I think Geoff is right. The South Africans are definitely leaving India to play in the series over here as there is an article on the YCCC site about "De Villiers set to star at Headingley" (for a brief second it did get my hopes up when I read it that he had signed for the T20!)

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

April 25 2017, 10:32 AM 

From cricinfo

The squad for the Champions Trophy will also play the one-day series against South Africa at the end of May.

England squad for Champions Trophy and South Africa series Eoin Morgan (capt), Moeen Ali, Jonny Bairstow, Jake Ball, Sam Billings, Jos Buttler, Alex Hales, Liam Plunkett, Adil Rashid, Joe Root, Jason Roy, Ben Stokes, David Willey, Chris Woakes, Mark Wood

Squad for Ireland ODIs Eoin Morgan (capt), Moeen Ali, Jonny Bairstow, Jake Ball, Sam Billings, Ben Duckett, Steven Finn, Alex Hales, Liam Plunkett, Adil Rashid, Joe Root, Jason Roy, David Willey, Mark Wood

This message has been edited by StuartRA on Apr 25, 2017 10:33 AM

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

April 25 2017, 1:28 PM 

Noticeable that Kolpackshire (Hants), Surrey & Middlesex have no players from their CC teams in the Champions Trophy squad. Roy does not play CC for Surrey, or Morgan for Middlesex. Arguably, the end of season top three, have a full squad of players to pick from for the duration of the competition, while other counties have to try and compete with several players missing.

I assume (with tongue firmly in cheek) that the England Lions squads, for the matches on at the same time, will be made up completely of Middlesex, Surrey & Hampshire players (if they have any England qualified players in their team) to even up the playing field!! No chance!!

This message has been edited by StuartRA on Apr 25, 2017 1:29 PM

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

April 25 2017, 3:45 PM 

Roy plays championship cricket when available, Stu. He's stated that he wants to play test cricket. I don't really know what the expectation is on here - Hampshire get stick for their imports yet we produce top players and complain when they are good enough for England. Things are far from perfect but I much prefer our model to Hampshire's and I think Durham have much more cause to complain about Hampshire than we do. The international schedule is getting more and more intense but frankly it's paying for the likes of Yorkshire to stay in business.

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

April 25 2017, 4:20 PM 

I thought they might have had a look at Livingstone for the Ireland series.

Thomas
(Login YorkshireAllOver)

April 25 2017, 4:37 PM 

Clearly I don't have the same brilliant logic as the ECB, but I would have thought it would make sense for England players to play 3 one-day cup games before the SA series after the Ireland games instead of net practice. Or perhaps they would burn-out with such stresses of playing games?

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

April 25 2017, 4:57 PM 

In answer to your query as to what we want, Seadog ----

There appears to be something drastically wrong with the system.

We produce players for England and then are never allowed to play them apart from a couple of "net" sessions a year.

Hampshire and other counties ship in "kolpacks" by the lorry load and produce very few England players yet, as a result, have the enormous benefit of not being hit with absences of key players and can field settled sides every week.

Yet at the end of the season, we get the same annual grant as Hampshire. Why not have a base figure from the ECB of 1/2 a million a year to all counties, but add 100k for every England player produced, and minus 100k for every non-England qualified player on their books. Then at least clubs like Yorkshire & Durham would get some financial compensation. I appreciate we do already get something extra for non centrally contracted England appearances by our players, but my suggestion is in addition to those payments.

I also realise that income from International matches keep the counties afloat financially, hence my seperate posting re "the future". Cricket in 5 years time will be money driven. Any competition that makes a loss will be jettisoned, and everything will be focused on the profit making matches - the city based T20 and International matches. Money talks and we have a Chairman of the ECB who has made millions in the past and his sole purpose now is to make even more money through the ECB. Cricket is now a business whose primary aim is making money, the concept of doing anything for the love of the game has gone now.

This message has been edited by StuartRA on Apr 25, 2017 5:06 PM

WR_Metcalfe
(Login WR_Metcalfe)

April 25 2017, 5:08 PM 

I agree there should be benefits for producing England players, but we do not pay the wages of Root and Bairstow (on Test contracts). Plunkett, Rashid and Willey are on White-Ball contracts. Gary Ballance is on a 12 month Incremental Contract.

Hampshire have to pay in full for Abbott, Rossouw etc.

Leg Glance
(Login legglance)

April 25 2017, 5:40 PM 

Given the choice I would much rather we paid their wages and got to see OUR players.

Stu's compensation ideas would work and be some compensation for the time, effort and money expended in producing these players which paying their wages when in the various squads does not.

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

April 25 2017, 5:56 PM 

I agree the payments should be more fairly distributed, reflecting each county's contribution to the national team. The notion of sport as business is here to stay, sadly, and cricket is simply making up for lost time. The way the English game is structured, the England team has to be the priority, anything else will lead to financial meltdown.

Lew
(Login Lewis_116)

April 25 2017, 7:27 PM 

I completely get aa lot of Stu's anger.
I explain our County predicament to my "football" mates and they cannot understand why anyone would follow it.

I think there is a balance and at the moment its too stretched towards England.

Losing 5 players is insane. Worse so that 2 are likely to be back ups. In Bairstows case - a massive player for us, he is likely to not play one game.

Common sense would have said let him build up with Yorkshire to prepare for the Test series in the summer.

You have Duckett and Billings who could cover keeping duties if Buttler was injured.

The other logical step would be to make sure no Yorkshire players are selected for the Lions. That would just take the biscuit.

For what its worth I understand the County game is there to supplement the ECB. I am OK with that. I just think it makes a huge mockery of the game that we love when it can be played out as it currently is.

(Login dpressed)

April 25 2017, 7:46 PM 

I don't think we can moan about Willey as it was obvious that he'd be playing for England when we signed him

peter
(Login wakefieldfan)

wicket keeper

April 26 2017, 8:33 AM 

Is now the time to start looking for a wicket keeper? now that ecb have told bairstow that he is third pick and will play as a batsman .

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

April 26 2017, 8:54 AM 

Of course I'm pleased for the Yorkshire players and if they all end up playing some part in the Champions trophy and the South Africa series then fine.

My main reservation of course is now those players who are traveling reserves such as JB won't get to play any proper competitive cricket on similar pitches to those they can expect in these competitions, should they be called upon.

Nets, nets, rest, bonding session, Jolly to Spain, nets, nets, bonding session, boredom, more nets.

Jolly nice privileged existence I'm sure, but it's not cricket.

Martin
(Login Martinh00)

April 26 2017, 10:12 AM 

"I explain our County predicament to my "football" mates and they cannot understand why anyone would follow it."

I have to say that the converse applies to the national football team. Why anyone would want to watch a team that is the cricketing equivalent of Zimbabwe is beyond me!? Clubs can play a full team of internationals, they can pick and chose whether their players play in internationals outside of set piece competitions, what is the international team for?!

The pendulum has swung too far in cricket but there isn't even a pendulum in football as far as I can see!

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk