<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

Re: RL50 over comp

April 27 2017, 7:51 PM 

Listening to R5SX flitting around trying to find some cricket it looks like we dodged a bullet by not having a match today.

A couple of results, even though effected by D/L show that it doesn't always happen that the strongest team on paper gets the result.

Touch wood the weather seems to be on the up.

Twelfth Man
(Login twelthman)

April 28 2017, 6:30 PM 

Not that I ever sit there but it looks like the Western terrace will be closed on Monday, according to the club's Twitter page, so they can't be expecting that many

This message has been edited by twelthman on Apr 28, 2017 6:33 PM

Old Feller
(Login Old_Feller2)

April 28 2017, 6:47 PM 

What a stunning win today for Somerset
I wonder how Sangakarra feels after dropping Elgar off Sam Curran when the score was about 30 for 5.

This message has been edited by Old_Feller2 on Apr 28, 2017 7:12 PM

Haxbyite
(Login Haxbyite)

April 28 2017, 6:56 PM 

Presumably you mean Somerset. I stopped looking at Cricinfo at 38 for 5 thinking it was a foregone conclusion but just "WOW" by van der Merwe, his first 50 over century in an amazing escape.

Old Feller
(Login Old_Feller2)

April 28 2017, 7:13 PM 

Whoops of course I meant Somerset, now corrected in my original post.

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

April 28 2017, 9:44 PM 

Stunning win for Leicestershire, too, at Old Trafford - 9.30 pm finish! Great scheduling. Young kid Zak Chappell smashing (or edging) 13 off an Anderson over to get them over the line.

Mart
(Login Wharfester)

May 2 2017, 6:31 PM 

Looks like today's matches are going our way - Notts & Billy Root pegging back Derbyshire while unless Warwickshire chase 363 down their NRR will suffer. And us with a pretty strong squad for the next few matches...

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

May 2 2017, 8:11 PM 

Couple of nail biters today and as others have said before it's nice to pick a side, but not be too concerned if they don't win.

I picked Essex today purely because they weren't Surrey and they got over the line.

Phil
(Login ExiledinNotts)

May 3 2017, 3:12 PM 

The YCCC site has our game as a 11am start whereas the Northants site it's a 14:00 start. Could someone confirm which is correct. Thanks in advance.

Sorry I should have said for next Wednesday's RLC game.

This message has been edited by ExiledinNotts on May 3, 2017 3:34 PM

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

May 3 2017, 9:31 PM 

BBC has the match at Northants next Wednesday starting at fourteen o'clock.

Just had a cracking finish Northants v Worc, ended in a tie.

Good result for us as it's not a good result for either of them.

(Login ExiledinNotts)

May 9 2017, 10:13 AM 

Just looking at the fixture list this morning & ive noticed that the quarter finals of this competition are on the 13th June. I'm booked to travel to Taunton by train from the 9th - 12th how on earth will it be possible for supporters to see both games. Not really fair on the players either.

littleoldme.
(Login littleoldme.)

Coming back from Taunton

May 9 2017, 1:20 PM 

I, too will be coming back from Taunton but not until the following morning the 13th of June. The same day as the RLC play-offs are on. If we are at home I might make it back for the last 10 overs of the 1st innings! I think it is unfair to ask the Yorkshire team to play a knockout Cup match just 17 hours after finishing a Championship match away down in Somerset.Hopefully we can win The North Group and go straight through to the semi-finals which don't take place until 16 and 17 of June. I could see Mr Moxon asking for a fixture change (maybe the 14th) should Yorkshire have to play in the play-offs!
A Buchan

(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

May 9 2017, 1:25 PM 

It could be an "away" tie if we finish 3rd in our group and of course it would be "down south" as we would be playing the second team in the southern group. It might not be to far away from Taunton. We just have to make sure we finish top or third and not second!! If Somerset finish 2nd in their group and us 3rd in our group it will be at Taunton.happy.gif

This message has been edited by StuartRA on May 9, 2017 2:32 PM

(Login ExiledinNotts)

May 9 2017, 3:20 PM 

@littleoldme

Having spoken to a few Yorkies it appears we all in the same boat. Let's hope some kind of common sense prevails.

(Login dpressed)

May 9 2017, 6:09 PM 

We, sadly, have history of this. In the 2000s Yorks finished a drawn match at Old Trafford on the Friday afternoon & played a knock out match (semi??) at the Rose Bowl, Southampton on the next morning. Due to 'coach driver' & traffic problems captain Craig White ended up having to run the last mile (or so) to the ground to make it to the toss. Of course Yorkshire lost.

Phil
(Login ExiledinNotts)

May 11 2017, 1:47 PM 

Just seen on Twitter that Notts are charging a £1 enterance fee on Sunday for their game against Lancashire.

Mart
(Login Wharfester)

May 11 2017, 6:17 PM 

Sounds like a bargain for anyone who fancies watching their top 50 over batsman in action - one WT Root with 250 runs at 83.33!

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

May 11 2017, 10:40 PM 

Thought the north group might be whittled down tonight but Durham rode their luck and beat Notts, so still 4 teams who could overhaul us at the top.

The good news is that as each of those 4 teams play at least one of the other of those 4 teams over the next few days then only 2 of the 4 can actually overhaul us, stay with me!. So we've qualified.

As Durham were unfairly, in my view, deducted 2 points I'll be happy to see them qualify, second or third.

I didn't watch it all by any means but I thought Notts were a bit of a rabble and very poor in the field.

Perhaps they should have changed their captain when Read announced his retirement. Though I'm not sure they have an obvious candidate.

WS55
(Login WibseySimon55)

May 11 2017, 11:34 PM 

Geoff, grateful for this, thanks. I couldn't wade through the 'who has still to play who' permutations to figure this out! You reckon we're in, eh?

So, when might we know whether we go straight to the semis?

(What a weird competition, where 'quarter finals' are only half quarter finals)

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

May 12 2017, 4:06 AM 

I've never enjoyed 50-over cricket as much as I am doing this season. Obviously we are doing better than usual, but other games have been good, too.

I was so pleased for Durham and Paul Collingwood as the Notts superstars tripped over their own egos. Read couldn't captain a rowing boat, and we saw exactly how his team had got themselves relegated in CC last season.

As for the play-offs, I love the concept. Aussie Rules football has (used to have?) a top 5 play-off system in which the higher you finished the better your chances were; home advantage and fewer games for the top places. The concept is a very fair one:

First round: 1st place bye; 2nd v 3rd to Qualify; 4th v 5th for Elimination.
Second round: 1st v winner 2nd/3rd for place in final; loser 2nd/3rd v Winner 4th/5th.
Third round: loser of first game v winner of second game.
Grand Final: the two teams left standing play in front of 100,000 at the MCG.

I think they may have used the same formula in their rugby league competition. They're clever, these convicts.

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk