<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

(Login matthefish2002)

Re: RL50 over comp

May 12 2017, 9:45 AM 

I think playing nearly all the games in a block works a lot better then in recent seasons. Feels the competition has more of a rhythm to it.

WS55
(Login WibseySimon55)

May 12 2017, 5:02 PM 

If Warwickshire win today (v Worcs) and lose on Sunday (to us), then we will be top of the North group, and straight to a semi at Headingley, whatever else happens.

(I think)

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

May 12 2017, 5:18 PM 

I assume the semi-final is a straight draw. Then we have the big problem of playing the second or third best teams in each group without our best five 1 day players, and no doubt it will end up with us playing against a full strength opposition.

Only those "dim witted brain dead morons" at the ECB could schedule the quarter and semi-finals of the second most important domestic trophy to clash with the Champions Trophy. It amazes me that they have managed to avoid a clash for the Final, although it does still clash with an England Lions match.

Can you imagine the reaction if the 4 FA cup semi-finalists were told "sorry guys we have arranged an International the same weekend, and you cannot have your 5 best players".

This message has been edited by StuartRA on May 12, 2017 5:20 PM

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

May 12 2017, 5:40 PM 

Another scenario is if England fail to make the knock-out stages of the Champions Trophy our boys will be back with us if we go straight through to the semi-final.

Stranger things have happened!

(Login dpressed)

May 12 2017, 6:35 PM 

If England do go out of the Champions Trophy the players are bound to be told to rest so they are fresh for upcoming test matches.

WS55
(Login WibseySimon55)

May 12 2017, 7:02 PM 

Worcester beat Warks, so are still in contention to pip us to the post at the top.

Was it a case of Duckworth/Lewis being too generous to a chasing side in today's world of big bats/small boundaries/T20 techniques?

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

May 12 2017, 7:17 PM 

It may be too early in the year, and it certainly is too early for the day/night games, but so far playing this tournament in a block has been excellent.

Still not sure it will bring enough people in to make any money though.

Watched some of the Notts v Durham game on Sky yesterday and it was a long time between adverts which seemed to consist of a single advert for a certain dishwasher on a loop.

I suppose it filled some air-time with live sport but I don't think it will be making Sky any money.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

May 12 2017, 7:45 PM 

After today`s results, we can not finish lower than 3rd, unless we lose our last two matches by massive margins as our rr is so much better than Notts & Lancashire, who can only equal us on points. Durham have Worcestershire & Lancashire to play and Notts play Lancashire.

We are through to the k/o stages. Who we play and when is anybody`s guess at the moment.

I think we will finish top with two from Durham, Worcestershire & Lancashire & Notts in positions 2 & 3.

Essex & Somerset from the Southern Group look certain to qualify, and apart from Kent, the third place could be any of the other teams.

This message has been edited by StuartRA on May 12, 2017 7:49 PM

Sid
(Login sid-don)
Assistant Moderator

May 12 2017, 10:04 PM 

I've tended to oppose the 'block' idea for the various county comps, but i'm really enjoying this 50 over comp, possibly as a result of the scheduling. I've listened quite a bit on sports extra and watched the Durham chase v Notts yesterday. I've certainly found myself checking the scores more than in previous years. I'm taking more of an interest. Hope i'm reflective of the general public.

Praise also for BBC sport extra. Enjoying the commentaries, maybe not of the highest standard, but very passable. Late on today I heard the end of Worcester v Warks and then some of Essex v Middlesex, really enjoyed them. All involved were decent enough and the Middlesex Essex people were good. Kevin Hand and Don Topley earning the highest marks from the Doncaster jury.

Tyke1950
(Login Tyke1950)

May 12 2017, 10:09 PM 

Pretty certain attendances are well down in last year.
When it's not been cold it's been damp. A number of matches have endured reduced overs.
Unsurprising.
Somerset, as usual, have enjoyed the best attendances but none of their home matches has yet reached the attendances of the county's lowest 50 over attendance last year.
Blocking games is a questionable strategy. Blocking games in late April and early May is silly. I wonder why the ECB went down this route?!

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

May 12 2017, 11:04 PM 

Because they're silly?

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

May 13 2017, 8:52 AM 

In 2020, all 3 of the white-ball competitions will be blocked with 2 of them played at the same time(the 50 over comp and the new city based franchise). I believe the plan is that the existing T20 comp is played in May, with the 50 over comp and the new t20 comp being played in July/August.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

May 13 2017, 9:39 AM 

As it's been so quiet lately I'd been imagining the city based T20 had gone away, now you've spoiled it.

We are so at the mercy of the weather in this country that whatever you do in terms of scheduling could quite easily end up being a disaster.

I've found this years competition very interesting, but then again I am interested anyway.

A few problems with how it is now.

Too many blank days for me, spread the games around a bit more. Saturday today, no games on!. Not enough advertising for those who aren't diehard fans.

Arrived at Headingley a bit late last Sunday and you wouldn't know there was a match on, not even advertised at the ground never mind further afield.

We could do with using those roadside adverts that the Rhinos use to let the public know when a game is on.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

May 13 2017, 10:17 AM 

I have always enjoyed the 50 over format, much much better than the 40 overs that we used to play.

We have had reasonable weather this year so "blocking" the comp. has worked well, and I have enjoyed it even more this year. I think we have not lost a single ball of play this season so far in our 6 matches.

This may not be the case in future years though, so there is always a risk that a bad weather spell could ruin a 2 or 3 week "blocked" competition.

We have what we have, and I doubt very much if any of the white-ball comps. will ever change back to a weekly format.

< Previous Page 1 2 3 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk