<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

RL50 over comp

April 25 2017 at 12:19 PM
Stu  (Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

Only the top 3 in each group qualify this year, so it is even more important that we win our first three matches when we have all 5 of our England players available. None of the 5 will be available for the quarter-finals, semi-finals and maybe not even the Final if we get there.

From the ECB

The knockout stages have changed this season, with only the top three from each group qualifying. The winners will progress straight to the semi finals on June 16 and 17, in which they will enjoy home advantage. Their opposition will be determined by two play-offs on June 13 between the teams finishing second and third in each group – second in the North Group at home to third in the South, and vice versa.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Gavin Gray
(Login yorkie1863)

Re: RL50 over comp

April 25 2017, 12:40 PM 

I will be at headingley for our opening Rl50 match, it's also on sky so will be taping it to keep (as long as Yorkshire win )

(Login matthefish2002)

April 25 2017, 12:49 PM 

I do enjoy this format although it appears many have fallen out of love with it.
Many people have now gone over to the T20.

Planning to be at Trent Bridge and Headingley over the Bank Holiday weekend.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

April 25 2017, 1:02 PM 

Will be at TB, watching on Sky on BH Monday, and at Headingley next Wednesday.

(Login ExiledinNotts)

April 25 2017, 1:17 PM 

Am at Trent Brige & Headingley over the bank holiday weekend. Over the coming couple of weeks I'm going to Worcestershire, Northamptonshire & Warwickshire

This message has been edited by ExiledinNotts on Apr 25, 2017 1:29 PM

marsker
(Login marskeman)

April 25 2017, 1:17 PM 

going to worcester on may 5 but with ecb taking 5 players we will have a scratch side out.

Twelfth Man
(Login twelthman)

April 25 2017, 1:21 PM 

Don't think we have a chance of winning this or even getting through the group. It's previous schedule in mid summer at least allowed us to keep our England one day players, at least until the semi final. This year we'll have five games without them.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

April 25 2017, 1:36 PM 

Yes, it will be tough. Only 3 qualify and we could play 5 of the 8 matches without Plunkett, Willey, Rashid, Root & Bairstow. It makes a big difference, not so much in the batting (on current form), but a massive difference in the bowling attack and lower order runs from Rash, Willey & Plunkett as opposed to their replacements, whoever they may be.

Pyrahtechnics
(Login Pyrahtechnics)

April 25 2017, 5:50 PM 

Yorkshire are going to have a solid top 6 regardless of England call ups

Lyth
Lees
Handscomb
Ballance
Leaning
Bresnan

For 7-11 - do Yorkshire go with 5 bowling options and give Handscomb the gloves, or play Hodd at 7 and 4 bowlers. Of those 4 bowlers, do Yorkshire play a spinner and three seamers or 4 seamers and let Lyth/Leaning share spin bowling duties?

Thomas
(Login YorkshireAllOver)

April 25 2017, 7:29 PM 

Both with and without England players it's seeming hard to get the balance right between bat and ball. I think we need 6 bowlers, but I'm not sure we will do for the first 3 games. I would play:
Lees
Lyth
Root
Ballance
Handscomb
Bairstow
Bresnan
Rashid
Willey
Plunkett
Rafiq
Fisher

After England players have gone, I'd go:
Lees
Lyth
Handscomb
Ballance
Leaning
Bresnan
Waite
Rhodes
Rafiq
Carver
Fisher

I think it's not too bad a line up, with Waite and Rhodes being all-rounders so the tail isn't too long. Handscomb can keep in one-day games; playing both him and Hodd could be an option, if we think Hodd is a better batting option than Leaning or even one of the openers, but at the moment I think it's better this way

Lew
(Login Lewis_116)

April 25 2017, 7:33 PM 

I wouldn't be surprised to see Rhodes and Waite involved in this format.

Fisher also.

Could have a youthful team something like this considering pur England players.

I could see this team. An oportunity for our fringe/developing players and protection to some of our ageing players.

Lyth
Lees
Leaning
Ballance C
Handscomb WK
Bresnan
Rhodes
Waite
Rafiq
Fisher
Coad/Patterson

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

Bank holiday weekend

April 26 2017, 9:39 AM 

As I look out at the hail and almost snow lashing the window I just hope the weather bucks it ideas up pretty sharpish.

There are some very attractive RL50 matches coming up over this bank holiday weekend and this revamped competition needs some help from the weather to get off to a good start.

The success of the competition can only be judged by an increase in the number of spectators and interest it creates, the first few matches with International players available is vital, especially for us.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

April 26 2017, 1:42 PM 

According to todays "Press", Liam is fit to play from Saturday onwards (he plays tomorrow for the 2nd`s in a 50 over match at York), and Brooks & Siddy will be fit again for our next 4 day CC match mid-May v Lancs.

Minimum of three wins from our first 3 games is needed if we have any hopes of qualifying, as our team -5 will find it very difficult to win any more after that, plus it is only the top 3 this year.

This message has been edited by StuartRA on Apr 26, 2017 2:11 PM

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

April 26 2017, 5:24 PM 

Another problem we have is our appalling record at Headingley in 50/40 over cricket. Just 3 wins from our last 14 matches in this format at Headingley.

Every previous season, we used to have a "get out of jail" card when we played two matches at Scarborough, as we have a much better record there. Now every white ball match will be at Headingley, where we are useless.

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

April 26 2017, 6:12 PM 

Brimming with confidence as usual, Stu 😉. Don't underestimate our youngsters, they might just surprise you.

(Login dpressed)

April 26 2017, 6:40 PM 

We play Lancs on Headingley on May Bank Holiday Monday. This has happened before, we collapsed & lost easily ... sadly I've now no way of finding ting the score online. The match is live on Sky. Is it worth travelling?

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

Worth travelling!

April 26 2017, 7:10 PM 

I think only you can make that decision. What has happened before is no guide to what might happen this time.

We have a remarkably strong team available, some of whom may feel they have a lot to prove.

Luckily for me I should be able to speed through watching the coast bound A64 traffic build up in the morning and vice versa on my way back home in the evening.

Providing the forecast reads at least 12 degrees centigrade think it should be a cracking day and hope it brings in a few bob for the club.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

April 26 2017, 7:21 PM 

Seadog-- Just trying to be realistic on our chances.

Hopefully the youngsters will play out of their skins, and we win all 4 matches at home and get the Headingley hoodoo of our backs.

It is time that HQ became fortress Headingley!!

marsker
(Login marskeman)

April 27 2017, 11:52 AM 

Yorkshire practice for one day matches at headingley today. Handscomb keeping wicket. Is this a clue?

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

April 27 2017, 3:56 PM 

I wonder who he was practising with. Everyone seemed to be at York today apart from Ballance & Root.

< Previous Page 1 2 3 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk