<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

The future?

April 25 2017 at 1:19 PM
Stu  (Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

On a seperate thread it is noted that only 2 quarter-finals this year in the RL50. This reduction, plus the reduction in the CC and the announced reduction in 2020 of the T20 comp are, IMO, the thin edge of the wedge!!

A 2 match deduction in the CC this season.

In 2020 there will be a reduction in the county T20 comp. when it is down to 10 games instead of 14, and the 50 over comp. marginilised to be played exclusively on out-grounds and with second X1`s.

The way things are going, with the counties rubber stamping the ECB constitution so they can have competitions running that DO NOT have to have all 18 first class counties in them (turkeys voting for Christmas), this is my prediction for 5 years time.

9 teams in each of the CC Divisions - 8 matches per season.

The 50 competition reverts to a straight k/o with 14 minor counties to make 32. Some counties may get just one 50 over match per season.

The county based T20 competition down to 10 games - already announced.

The all singing and dancing city based T20 comp.

20 days of England Lions matches per season.

10 test matches and 16 ODI`s every summer.

The "money making" competitions will remain, the comps that make a loss will go or be chopped down in size.

This message has been edited by StuartRA on Apr 25, 2017 5:27 PM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
WS55
(Login WibseySimon55)

Re: The future?

April 26 2017, 12:57 PM 

Interesting Stu. It may well look something like that. City T20, more Tests and ODIs, and less of everything else.

But will all the First Class counties survive? Could we see six or eight of them going bust/being demoted to Minor County status?

A 10 or 12 County, single division County championship, with uneven numbers of home and away games, perhaps.

A 32 County KO for the 50 overs as a a one-day centrepiece, and T20 for the counties simply on its way out, or already abolished.

From a Yorkshire point of view, and for 4-day CC loyalists, maybe this would be an OK outcome. Might we even get back to 16 matches a season on that basis? (Assumption being, of course, that we are not one of the demoted/bankrupted ones!)

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

April 26 2017, 1:30 PM 

I think that is why some counties are reticent about agreeing to the ECB Constitution changes regarding "ALL counties have to participate in all ECB competitions". By agreeing to this clause, to gives the ECB carte-blanch to ditch any county from any of it`s competitions, if they so wish. They could well be voting themselves out of existence, just like turkeys voting for Christmas.

YCC have blindly followed this path and voted for the Constitution change, so we could well be one of the sides deemed as not needed by the ECB. Members should have been consulted on this matter, we were not and will not be.

The city based T20 competition will get rid of 10 of the counties, who knows what will follow? A CC with only 10 teams in? The existing T20 comp with only 10 teams in? It`s a path that should not have been taken by any of the counties and I can not believe their thinking behind possibly voting themselves out of existence. The 1.3m bribe per annum for 5 years has obviously worked.

This message has been edited by StuartRA on Apr 26, 2017 1:32 PM

(Login dpressed)

April 26 2017, 3:47 PM 

I suspect that the ECB are trying to change the system so that the counties are irrelivent. There may still be some kind of championship, but it will only be there to provide England cricketers.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

April 26 2017, 8:32 PM 

To be fair I think the reduction in the CC did have quite a lot to do with some counties and players moaning about workload and trying to squeeze too much cricket into the season.

What I'd like to see is a return to the 16 game CC. This could be compacted and made more player friendly by playing two home games followed by a two away games.

A 10 game T20 blast group stage is more than enough, especially when, and if, the new competition starts. Perhaps a weekend or bank holiday double header for each county to further minimize travel, and as practice for finals day.

RL50 early season, perhaps a few weeks later than this year, until 2020 then swap places with the T20 blast.

I'm not totally convinced the new City based T20 will fly, especially without the cream of International players being involved.

Despite what the ECB say about increasing participation and new audiences I think they have their eyes set firmly on raising revenue by selling it to Indian TV.

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk