<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

Re: One-Day Cup | Yorkshire vs Lancashire at Leeds (Match Thread)

May 1 2017, 4:57 PM 

Great spell that.

Jay
(Login overman8)

May 1 2017, 5:28 PM 

Goodness, Willey handing over the incentive here, could use some more net practice.

Idle Man
(Login Idle_man)

May 1 2017, 5:38 PM 

I think we're probably ok. Well done everyone.Anyone there tell us what sort of crowd they got in?

Tom
(Login whiterosetom)

May 1 2017, 5:40 PM 

Just under 5000 according to the radio.

Mart
(Login Wharfester)

May 1 2017, 7:32 PM 

Pretty full house (except for wildebeest galloping across the blue wastelands to the west) - maybe a few spaces in the less popular bits of the football end.

Very enjoyable day out - even the weather contributed: always best to start play dank & gloomy then end up with a victorious tan...

Strange moderating, upthread - I thought Dewsburian's subtle, ambiguous and amusing comment was potentially far more offensive than anything preceding it! Strange times.

Humour is often a matter of interpretation, especially the online variety or when irony is involveed. A simple "LOL" is often a very useful advisory.

Alex

This message has been edited by AlexRoberts on May 1, 2017 8:19 PM

menston yccc
(Login menstonyccc)

May 1 2017, 7:46 PM 

yes thoroughly enjoyable day of high quality cricket

I agree it was pretty full apart from the out of use west stand and in view of the poor forecast and cloudy and chilly start a really good crowd

so many quality performers on display and plenty of kids to see it

wonderful to see Rashid bowl with such skill, guile and control - he won us the match

bresnans opening spell was also terrific as was rsfiq

batting wise it seemed the usual story of players getting out and in but what a partnership between balance and handscombe - both have looked superb each time I have seen them

I thought under 300 was par at best but our it was fine bowling

I would fsncy us to win the tournament if we could get that team out throughout but that is of course a pipe dream

(Login dpressed)

May 1 2017, 7:49 PM 

Today goes to prove that Yorkshire people are never happy, but that Lancashire are weaker than we think,

The day started dark but thankfully dry. It was a surprise that thwe West Stand wasn't open.

It was very overcast so it waqs no surprised when Lancs put us in. The floodlights were on not long after the start. The weather did improve as the day went on.

As has already been said Yorkshire's top order progressed well. Lyth is still not back in the groove. Ballance & Handscomb batted well together. Then Ballance hit a 6 off the last ball of an over. This goaded Handscomb into 'going for it' which looked good until he put a ball down a fielder's throat. No worries we were are 230-3 with loads of overs left. Bresnan was out of touch (not a get at, it happens to most batsmen), but being a sensible lad tried his best to give Ballance the strike. Even this was beyond Tim at times so eventually he tried to hit one & was caught. Again no worries as we'd more all rounders who can bat ... except they didn't. The next 4 batrmen were like headless chickens getting themselves out, the run out of Plunkett was a yes, no, yes, no commedy of errors as Rafiq at the other end never moved ... it should have been a single. 262-4 became 282-9. Rafiq & Fisher saved up being bowled out. 292 was well below the total we should have had.

Thankfully the Lancs batting isn't as powerful as most Yorkies feared ... & Rashid bowled beautifully ... & yes I praise Rashid over Rafiq. Azeem bowled well & rightfully got wickets but it was Rash who started the rot by tying them down & could have had more. After Adil completed his spell we were surprised when Ballance brought Willey back, David's first over of the day had been a maiden, but after that he was expensive. Many would have prefered trying Root or Lyth. Gary was probably proved right when Vilas & then Bailey were caught 'in the deep'.

One irritant was the umpires refering every run out decision to the video umpire. At least 2 Lancs batsmen were standing next to the stumps by the time thehy were broken. One was so in that Bairstow didn't even appeal, yet it was still refereed.

There were also a few missed catches. Bairstow missed two, not easy but very catchable & Lyth got his hands to one by his chest when Hameed was on 0, the ball was moving & went for 4. Bresnan made some brilliant saves diving to stop a number of hits that would have gone for 4.

So not a perfect day, but we were strong enough to have and easy win.

This message has been edited by dpressed on May 1, 2017 7:54 PM

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

May 1 2017, 8:00 PM 

I seem to have been mentioned, above. For the record, when Yorkshire play Lancashire (or anyone else for that matter) I want YORKSHIRE to win, 100%, without exception.

This does not mean that I am blind to the abilities of players from Lancashire, or any other of the counties. I see myself as a supporter and friend of ALL 18 COUNTIES, especially those who develop their own players, as we do, as Lancashire do (nowadays but not always), and as some don't, particularly. In their case, I hope their attitudes will change, especially those big teams with Test grounds who allow others to do their job for them.

If the earlier comment was intended as a 'wind-up', I didn't read it that way. It was a fair question, and I have given a fair answer.

I thoroughly enjoyed today's game. There was a decent crowd - I guessed at 5 to 6,000 - a friendly atmosphere between opposing fans, a lot of good cricket, mostly played by Yorkshire, but not exclusively so; and the right team won.

Disappointment that our top three all made starts, but failed to go on after seeing off Anderson's opening spell. Super partnership between Ballance and Handscomb, then a disappointment that the innings fell perhaps 30 runs short, but entirely due to the excellence of Parry.

I was delighted at Bresnan's opening spell, and he fielded like a 20-year-old throughout. Fisher bowled beautifully and Plunkett was fast and accurate. The pick was undoubtedly Rashid - I counted two bad balls in 10 overs - and he constantly left the Lanky batsmen bewildered, none more so than the otherwise brilliant Livingstone. Rafiq bowled with guile at the death and deserved his wickets.

Although we dropped three catches, our fielding was breathtaking at times; even better than Lancashire's had been.

I'm sure those who watched on Sky will have a different perspective, but that's how it all looked to me. To sum up in one word:

PROFESSIONAL.

Dewsburian
(Login Dewsburian)

May 1 2017, 8:04 PM 

The odd thing, from my point of view (via TV), was that the Sky commentators assumed - presumably because Bairstow and Lyth made Anderson look fairly innocuous - that the pitch was excellent, yet several players, including Root, were undone by slightly unpredictable bounce. I thought Davies and Livingstone batted as well as they were allowed to, but this is a very good Yorkshire side with five of the current England squad in it and a top Australian, so it was no great surprise that Lancs. were outclassed, as Notts. had been at Trent Bridge. As I said about Adil at Edgbaston, he looks supremely confident and totally in control of his game these days, with Plunkett not far behind on that score.
I could make another remark that would be subtle, ambiguous and (above all) amusing, but I'll restrain myself as it might be thought offensive.

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

May 1 2017, 8:10 PM 

Dewsburian: did any of the Sky people comment that Rashid is hitting the crease more aggressively? More akin to Yassir Shah, for example? That he's driving into his action with his legs, more than previously?

Or perhaps it's all in my imagination. But I think that's the best I've seen him bowl, perhaps ever.

Kevin Owens
(Login kevinowens)

Re: One Day Cup | Yorkshire vs Lancashire at Leeds

May 1 2017, 8:19 PM 

Thanks for answering Dave. Wasn't a wind up. A tongue in cheek question at most. Dave, out of curiosity where in Wibsey did you live? As I'm Wibsey born and bred too. Lived just off Harbour Road me

Dewsburian
(Login Dewsburian)

May 1 2017, 8:23 PM 

Yes, one of the commentators mentioned that regularly - I think it may have been Hussain. Rob Key made the point that Adil ought to ignore those who want him to bowl quicker in test matches and stick to his "natural" pace. In the post-match interviews, Adil said he had learnt a lot on the winter tour.

(Login dpressed)

May 1 2017, 8:31 PM 

One thing no one has mentioned .... what that (censored) are L*nc*sh*re doing wearing green??? Ifs just wrong

WS55
(Login WibseySimon55)

May 1 2017, 8:33 PM 

Yes, that was a good day out -- until the Lancs RRR got above 10 about 12 overs from the end, then this sort of cricket gets a bit meaningless. Still, a little fun was to be had even then watching and waiting for Lancs tail enders to hole out to the deep. And a nice bit of NE Upper repartee as someone called out to Jimmy Anderson, going in as No 11 to a hopeless situation. 'Go on Anderson, do something to make a name for yourself'. Said in a good tone, it was a nice compliment, and it was good to hear the Yorkshire crowd clapping loudly in honour of a great player.

We had such a good easy victory, as it turned out, that it wasn't difficult to be generous to a Lanky!

Good points about today. 1) The top order looked good, we didn't depend on the middle to dig us out of a hole! 2) Handscomb and Ballance may have the making of something together 3) Adil Rashid looking solid and bowling tight 4) Adil Rashid's googly getting wickets 5) Our fielding -- athletic stops in the covers/midwicket (Bresnan, Lyth); good stops on the boundary (Root, others); great catching at mid-on (Plunkett -- thanks third umpire, but did he catch it?, and especially Fisher); Fisher's later drop is excused 'cos the low western sun came out straight in his eyes as the ball reached him. 6) Azeem Rafiq's attitude. He was like a kid in the back streets wanting his elder brother to let him bowl, the way he dropped hints to Ballance. And you could feel him itching for a fourth wicket, 'to get one more than Adil'. Might be irritating in a team mate at times, but my goodness he does want to win as well as to shine, so it's got to be a plus. 7) We got a proper day's play because we have floodlights--easy to take for granted, now, but a few years ago that would have been a frustrating couple of hours from 11 to 1.30 it, and a truncated day.

Bad points? 1) Disappointing not to have one of our four big middle/late order hitters firing. Hardly an attacking stroke from any of Bresnan, Rashid, Plunkett, Willey. 2) Willey's rubbish bowling to go with his batting ( ... or is that a good point, in the same spirit as joy at Gloucester beating Middlesex in the teeth of celebrity-international-obsessed media opinion?). 3) A quiet crowd -- where are the wags of yesteryear? "Ow the wickets they are fallin'!" etc?

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

May 1 2017, 8:42 PM 

Answering Kevin: 138 Reevy Road - and it was an unmade dirt road back then, where we used to sail matchsticks when it rained. There was a field (now houses) in the triangle made with Wibsey Park Avenue, which had a hill where we used to sledge. That was at the front of our house. At the back, we bordered on Wibsey Park itself.

Later, c1953, they built the estate on newly created Reevy Road West and our little lane got tarmacked. Prior to that it had been just a short row of nice little middle-class semis, with garages, of which number 138 was one, and beyond that, fields.

There was also a row of 'prefabricated houses' (prefabs) further up on the left, and at right-angles to Reevy Road. On Reevy Avenue, I think, looking at google maps.

That's all as near as I can remember it. I was only 12 or 13 when we left.

This message has been edited by DaveMorton on May 1, 2017 8:43 PM

Kevin Owens
(Login kevinowens)

Re: One Day Cup | Yorkshire Vs Lancashire at Leeds

May 1 2017, 9:07 PM 

I know exactly where you mean Dave the houses got built on the field where the youth club was about 15 years ago I think. Good memories growing up in Wibsey. I now reside in Brighouse

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

May 1 2017, 9:29 PM 

I shall buy my next appliance from ao just so they can continue to make a profit and insist Lancashire wear that appalling green for many seasons to come.

Enjoyed the day once the weather improved.

A bit more tension than Saturday but not much in what turned out to be an easy win, they had a couple of half decent performers, but we had more.

A couple of sections of the White Rose could easily have been opened.

WS55
(Login WibseySimon55)

May 1 2017, 10:23 PM 

A cricket-loving Lancashire girl sent me a text mid afternoon saying "Not looking good for the team that are dressed like Shrek sad.gif "

Shows what they think of it.

Twelfth Man
(Login twelthman)

May 1 2017, 10:36 PM 

I saw a good number of their supporters wearing it, including Red Rose Hat Man. I imagine it divides opinion, rather like our Yorkshire Tea orange number from yesteryear.

JG
(Login _JG_)

May 1 2017, 10:40 PM 

My first day of the season. I'm sure most on here will have either attended or watched on Sky so I will keep the report fairly brief.

Bairstow and Root both got starts but got themselves out before they could make a significant contribition; Lyth started off well but seemed to lose his timing as his innings went on. Then came my first chance to watch Handscomb live, and he really impressed me- he looks especially good against spin- whilst Ballance looked back to his uncomplicated best; their partnership set the game up for us. Considering the position we had at this stage we should have got 30 more than we eventually did, but we lost momentum due to a scratchy effort from Bresnan and the rest of the lower middle order batted cluelessly so we fell someway short, although the best part of 300 always looked a very testing target.

As others have said, overall we bowled very well, with Rashid's superb, almost loose ball free spell the definite highlight, but good performances from Bresnan, Plunkett and Rafiq too. Lancs never really looked like getting close, although Davies and Livingstone (who I both rate) showed glimpses, the latter showing Buttler-like 360 degree hitting. Other than tricky drops from Bairstow and Fisher and a rather less tricky one from Lyth (what has happened to his catching this season?!) I thought our fielding was superb, particularly so given that some of the best contributions came from some of the less natural fielders such as Bresnan and Fisher.

Overall a good day, with weather better than expected and Yorkshire, although not as dominant as they could have been, still far too strong for Lancashire.

P.S. agree that Lancs' kit is foul.

This message has been edited by _JG_ on May 1, 2017 10:40 PM

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk