<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Plunkett and Willey

May 2 2017 at 1:52 PM
WR_Metcalfe  (Login WR_Metcalfe)

"Liam Plunkett and David Willey have been made unavailable by ECB to be rested for their game against Ireland on Friday"

Despite having previously made available for the first three 50 over games. Absolute shambles.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
(Login ThirdUmpire)

Re: Plunkett and Willey

May 2 2017, 1:58 PM 

Well they want to be seen as not being even more cruel to Durham after points deductions and allowing Stokes to play ipl

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

May 2 2017, 1:59 PM 

Don't agree with the reasoning.

But i don't think it's a bad thing that we get another couple in whilst we still have a strong line up. Least they will have a game under their belt for when we lose everyone.

Pyrahtechnics
(Login Pyrahtechnics)

May 2 2017, 2:07 PM 

A reasonable request by the ECB to rest Plunkett and Willey when they have recently returned from injury and how both the 50 Over Cup and Ireland matches are scheduled.

Having the England quintet available for two further 50 over matches against Warwickshire and Northamptonshire is an added bonus.

Martin
(Login Martinh00)

May 2 2017, 2:08 PM 

It is a shambles - and in the absence of any explanation. If I were the ECB I would pretend that there were concerns about niggles to cover the complete shambles that is their organisation of player availability.

Willey in particular but arguably both of them would surely welcome an additional competitive game given that they have just come back from injury.

WR_Metcalfe
(Login WR_Metcalfe)

May 2 2017, 2:09 PM 

On the plus side, Mark Wood has also been rested. So don't go thinking the ECB were being kind to Durham!

(Login dpressed)

May 2 2017, 2:17 PM 

And Anderson is available for both Roses matches.

The whole of domestic cricket in now well beyond a joke

(Login WhiteroseDave)

May 2 2017, 2:18 PM 

To be honest, in the context of all of the other decisions that have been made about England players, giving the two quick bowlers a break to stop them playing 4 games in a week doesn't seem to bad to me. Add that to the fact we've all 5 available for another 2 games and I'd say we're better off now than we were at the start of the day.

Martin
(Login Martinh00)

May 2 2017, 2:35 PM 

Here is the link:

https://www.ecb.co.uk/news/383239

And info on player availability:

Jonny Bairstow, Adil Rashid, Joe Root – available for Yorkshire Vikings against Durham (3 May), Northants Steelbacks (10 May), Warwickshire (14 May).

Liam Plunkett, David Willey - available for Yorkshire Vikings against Northants Steelbacks (10 May), Warwickshire (14 May).

They kindly say that Balance is available without restriction

(Login matthefish2002)

May 2 2017, 3:02 PM 

I have sympathy with Gale and Moxon and they are unsure who will be available one week to the next so next to impossible to put down any plans. Guess this is a test of any support staff really.

Not sure if I am sorry Mark Wood is not playing as his bowling is always worth watching but I remember he was the difference between the two sides last season in both white ball competitions.

Steve C
(Login stevecowton)
Assistant Moderator

May 2 2017, 3:10 PM 

And - and i appreciate that its a small point - but how exciting that supporters in Northampton get to see Joe and Jonny play....
That should put a few quid on their gates.

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

May 2 2017, 3:11 PM 

Overall, we are actually now better off in terms of availability for the group games. Whatever the reasoning, at least they're consistent in not making Wood available tomorrow either.

WR_Metcalfe
(Login WR_Metcalfe)

May 2 2017, 3:19 PM 

If the ECB announce a squad and then say the players are going to be unavailable from here to here, then we'd all understand where we stood. This is the ECB previously saying one thing and
then changing their mind.

Pyrahtechnics
(Login Pyrahtechnics)

May 2 2017, 3:27 PM 

It seems to be the ECB are resting pace bowlers 48 hours ahead of the Ireland ODIs, which is understandable given Plunkett, Willey and Wood have suffered from injuries recently.

At least Yorkshire have the England quintet back for the Northamptonshire and Warwickshire 50 over games, quite a bonus considering I wasn't expecting them to be available due to an England training camp in Spain.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

May 2 2017, 3:28 PM 

Wood out for Durham, and Plunkett & Willey out for us, actually benefits us, as he can be devastating on his day. He won the match for them last year in the T20 semi.

For the first time ever an ECB "resting" decision is to our advantage.

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk